Sponsored by:

ECU / Power Chip Replacement Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2002, 04:21 PM
TTRon
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ECU / Power Chip Replacement Question

I have a modified ECU/Computer box in my '96 993TT that I'm think of replacing. Appreantly when the dealer plugs in for any diagnostics it resets the program to stock conguration; 450HP down to 405HP. Sorry, I don't have the details on the ECU mods, can't get a hold of the tuner!

I'm considering a "Power Chip" from FVD, Porsche factory TurboS computer box or regular turbo box.

Has anyone tried the FVD product or replaced their
ECU/computer box with a TurboS box? What were the performance results? What do I need to look out for in this search? (did read the 993TT mods)

The engine has not been modified, I can get 100 octane unleaded gas to blend, and have no plans to track or race the car.

Appreciate any comments you may have.

Thanks!
Old 03-23-2002, 05:32 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
TT Ron:

While I cannot comment on what you ought to buy, I can tell you that is quite possible to simply download ECU codes without resetting the ECU back to the factory mapping. Something is amiss if someone cannot download and clear any codes without doing a master reset.

The decision to buy a new, programmable ECU lies with what you want the car to do. Quite obviously, there are major power differences between a stock, Turbo "S", or GT-2 one. Some require hardware changes to work properly.

Just make certain that the ECU you buy, or have reprogrammmed, is compatible with the fuel octane in your area. Its not very practical to have a setup that demands race gas in every tankful.
Old 03-23-2002, 05:40 PM
Rick in Portland
Addict
Rennlist Member

The only way that you can increase the performance programming algorithm in a 993TT ECU is to buy a modified 1997 ECU, like the FVD unit, or have a 1997 ECU modified by a tuner such as Steve Weiner at Rennsport Systems.

Many on this board have purchased the FVD and are very happy with the results. You can get further information about the FVD ECU from Mike Schatz at Schatz Motorsport at 805-482-7278. Mike is an expert with these boxes.

Or, you can purchase a 1997 ECU and have Steve Weiner change the chip with a high-performance chip. One advantage to this method is that you still keep your original ECU. Steve can be contacted at 503-244-0990.

Rick
<a href="http://www.993tt.com" target="_blank">http://www.993tt.com</a>
Old 03-23-2002, 05:42 PM
Rick in Portland
Addict
Rennlist Member

Gee Steve.... you beat me by 8 minutes

RT
Old 03-24-2002, 05:02 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor