Sponsored by:

Nurburgring Visit Next Weekend

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2002, 06:41 AM
Anthony_Vince
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Nurburgring Visit Next Weekend

I'm planning to goto the Nurburgring next weekend in the TT, I understand drivers are allowed on the 14 mile Northern Loop for a fee. The website haven't published the opening times yet. Any advise from people that have visited recently, places to stay, best times to arrive, things to look out for? etc

Thanks in advance
Old 01-25-2002, 11:04 AM
VS
Instructor

Arrow

Anthony,

It may be a good idea to call them now, just to make sure they will be open

Last August I stayed at Dorint Hotel --- very nice --- right at the GP track.

I assume this is your first time on the Ring.
The best advice I can give you: take it quite seriously. Try to get someone who knows the Ring to go with you, if only for a couple of laps. Also, spend some time now learning the map and watching the lap videos. There are quite a few places on the North Loop where you have to know exactly what's coming next.

Watch out --- there will be faster cars/bikes overtaking you. Only if you feel comfortable, use your right signal and move to the right. Otherwise, just stay on the line: they'll pass you anyway. Just be aware of them all the time!

Take it easy, be safe and have fun!
Old 01-25-2002, 06:36 PM
Fried Chicken Fred
Track Day

I was there in December....

Most memorable day of my life!

Hints on your first trip to the "Green Hell"

Call the day you go to see if the track is open. Try and speak to a human... The voicmail was wrong. Recording said closed, but we went anyway and it was open.

Ask Attendant if there is ice on the track. (they will let you run even if it's icy)

Bring warm cloths. "It's always 1 jacket colder at the Ring"

Crucial!!! Buy a track map at the gift store. My companions and I would play navigator while the other was driving. The plastic map worked like a charm. This increased the fun factor by ten.

Don't be an animal. You are not going to be setting any lap records. Respect the Ring. When the Ring bites, it bites hard.

I am shaking as I type this. I still get goosebumps whenever I think about the time I spent there.

It is truly a magical place.

-Enjoy-
Old 01-28-2002, 07:17 AM
Anthony_Vince
Advanced

Thanks for all the info, I'm going to take it very carefully since its my first time on a track. I dont want to put anyone at risk.
Old 01-28-2002, 04:12 PM
RAPID 95 993/4
Intermediate

I went to the ring last september, Hired an instructor with 2 other mates, and had him seating next to me 1 lap every 3, and following him the other 2. It was great!. Do take it easy the first few (at least 5) laps, even after 10 laps you probably will only remember the 1/10th of the track!, and it is very demanding!. There is a ticket dispenser for 1,5 or 10 laps, it is about 100 euro for 10 laps. There are a number of videos available, even some downloable on the net, I would advise watching one a few times to try and memorise as much of the ring as possible (every little bit helps).
You will love it, there is no track event that comes anywhere near this experience!.
As 'VS' said, watch out for the fast guys, sometimes in innocent looking golf gti...!
Old 02-12-2002, 04:04 AM
Anthony_Vince
Advanced

What a superb trip, it costs 12 euros per lap of the 20km circuit and it is seriously demanding. I would say it is as safe as you make it. One thing that struck me was how much larger the circuit is compared to videos of it. It is a great deal more undulated and the blind crests are heart stopping!
Old 02-15-2002, 05:14 AM
996cab.com
Instructor

bravo Anthony!,
my turn next. I guess I just have to go and comment later. Going in March so would update you guys later.

bravo Anthony!
Old 03-25-2002, 11:16 AM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

Anthony
You will find everything you need to know on this site:
<a href="http://www.marvin.co.uk/benlovejoy/nuerburgring/beginners.html" target="_blank">Ben Lovejoy's Nürburgring section</a>

Don't miss the "Warning" and "Ooops" section, there are about 50 deaths per year according to the site.

You will find a lot of videos here:

<a href="http://www.motorcycle-dk.com/en/multimedia/index.php?viewCat=2" target="_blank">Nürburgring Videos</a>

You can also try the computer game Grand Prix Legends (Sierra), they use the 1967 track which is very close to the real one (there is a video on the site above where you can check just how realistic it is, it as GPL vs. a Porsche GT3). There are stuff to download (curbes, armco etc.) to make it look they way it is today on the GPL forums. The computer game is really hard to learn. It is very realistic, it will probably take you a few hours before you can make it around the Monza track (the easiest track) in reasonable speed, much longer for the Ring.

Staffan

Quick Reply: Nurburgring Visit Next Weekend