Sponsored by:

Considering a 993 tt purchase

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2001, 01:06 PM
Dan89_930
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Considering a 993 tt purchase

993 tt owners: I currently have a 1989 930 modified with a Ruf BTR kit (not installed by Ruf, rather by an L.A. area dealer so it doesn't have Ruf VINS).

Anyway, I am considering a purchase of a 993 tt (and may keep my '89) because of the twin turbos, 6 forward speeds, AWD, and the stock 400/400 hp/ft lbs torque.

I am interested in your thoughts/opinions on a) why you decided to purchase your 993tt, b) what have been the highlights of ownership, and c) what have been the lowlights (i.e. repair/service/etc. issues) of ownership.

Your thoughts/opinions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Dan
Old 11-15-2001, 10:19 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Hey Dan,

Welcome to the board. I purchased my 993TT a year ago after test driving an M5, Ferrari 456, and a 360. I was looking for a daily driver that could run all four seasons, provide a good time at the track, and haul my small children if possible. For the price, the 993TT was hard to beat, because it is so well-rounded.

No problems with snow thanks to the AWD. Truly functional rear seats for small kids. Much better reliability and easier/less expensive servicing than a Ferrari. More fun around a track than the bulky M5. Beautiful, classic styling that hasn't changed much in over 30 years.

Highlights have been the track performance, mechanical reliability, and the smiles on my kids' faces every time we take it somewhere.

I've put 8,000 miles on it in 12 months (now has 14,000 total). Faults have included a non-functioning stereo (currently being investigated by Becker), a broken antenna (separated somehow from the windshield base), the infamous squeaky windshield, a broken vertical motor on the passenger seat, and most recently, a broken driver's side door check strap (now makes an annoying click).

I've done all the servicing, and most of the repairs, to date myself. With the help of a factory service manual and Robin's website (www.p-car.com), it's really pretty straightforward.

It's a great car that I can recommend without reservation. I'll keep mine forever, and hand it down to the children. Good luck.
Old 11-16-2001, 01:29 AM
vinrey
Addict
Rennlist Member

Dan,

Firstly, keep your 930 turbo but if you decide to sell it please let me know. I got my 993tt because of its raw power and guaranteed smiles per second. I test drove a 355, viper, and vette but none of ther offered the shear speed yet giving you the sense of security at that speed. I got it last December and have since put on 30k miles on it. The only down side is the 8-9k mile life of the rear tires and I don't track the car or drag it more that once in two months. The only other service costs are the 15 and 30k service. I look forward to driving it daily--considering I have a 993 and an 82sc. The tt is my favorite. I do love the body style of the 930's which is why I'm in the market for one but not in a hurry so I'll wait for the best price.

I drive my tt daily. It's the best stress reliever I've ever come across.

Happy motoring,

Vince
Old 11-16-2001, 06:21 PM
Dan89_930
Instructor

Thanks Anir. Thanks Vince. I appreciate the time you took to respond.

Dan
Old 11-16-2001, 06:50 PM
Ran
Rennlist Member

I bought mine at a very low mileage and added quite a few thus far. To date, I've had no problems and only costs have been on oil changes and other routine maintenance only. Had to do a brake flush twice. I have not done anything on my own (DIY) apart from checking oil and tyre pressure but the dealer / decent shop costs seem fairly reasonable perhaps because I have not had to replace anything.

I think this board will be more helpful to you when you identify a possible acquisition target and come up with specific questions or concerns during your due diligence on said target car. Till then perhaps you can try Rick's 993TT site. Also, since you asked about 993TT issues, I'd suggest you go to Robin's 993 p-car site with lots of DIY and other info on the 993 in general since many 993 normally aspirated car issues apply to the turbo too.

Basically, these cars need to be driven (do a search in the 993 board for carbon build-up since a couple of people posted about that). Other issues that people with normally aspirated 993s seem to complain about are clutch and windshield. Do a search on these issues too though neither of these were even of remote concern to me. And of course, these cars are not designed primarily for drag launches. I tried to make sure that the transmission and gearing was in good condition and since I dont intend to drag the car at all, I dont need any upgraded components.

And I think it would be even more fun if you kept your 89 930 turbo. All the best and feel free to post questions or even email.
Old 11-19-2001, 12:27 PM
Dan89_930
Instructor

Ran: Thank you. Great information.

Dan
Old 11-22-2001, 10:09 PM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by vinrey:
<STRONG>I got my 993tt because of its raw power and guaranteed smiles per second. I test drove a 355, viper, and vette but none of ther offered the shear speed yet giving you the sense of security at that speed.</STRONG>
Vince, you like the 993tt more than those others? I used to think Porsches were as good as cars got, but when I drove an F355, it ruined me for all other cars. I haven't driven a 993tt, but I have driven a 993 and a few 930's. The Ferrari is extremely impractical and would make an awful daily driver, but for getting my heart started and keeping it going I've never felt or heard anything else that comes close to that marvelous F355.
Old 11-23-2001, 11:34 AM
vinrey
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes, I have no regrets or second thoughts whatsoever with the 993tt. The 355 sounds awesome but a slug compared to my friends 86 930 or the 993tt. The viper gives awesome brutal acceleration but hard to control and too many rattles. The vette is great too but they're a dime a dozen. The 993tt just feels right for me--again, everyones opinion varies and thank God we have all these cars available to suit our needs. I racked up 30k plus miles already this year with one more month to go. I look forward to driving the car everytime as much as the first day I got it. Hope you find your dream machine.

Vince
Old 11-30-2001, 02:59 AM
Mike K.
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Get the 993TT, you will never regret it. It was my dream car from the moment I saw it. Actually, when I went shopping for it I wasn't even sure what it was called!! I thought it was a Turbo s4. Anyway, tried the Ferrari 348 and the 993tt, no comparison. Wrote the man a check and never looked back.If I've had a bad day, I take it out for a drive and come back with a smile . If I've had a good day, I take it out for a drive and come back with a smile. Stress relief I guess.Always bring a bottle of water along for the ride. My mouth seems to get really dry from clinching my teeth.
Anyway, no expenses( not even a speeding tickets, it stops too fast) to speak of in the two years that I've owned it, except for a couple of sets of tires.
There is no substitute. Cheers.

Mike K. Arena Red 97 993TT
Old 11-30-2001, 05:19 PM
hunterp
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Dan,

Here is perspective you may not get many other places. I sold a 96 993 TT and a 95 LS 400 a few months ago and replaced them with a 2000 M5. Seemed like the right thing to do at the time. Anyway, the 993 TT had 99,000 miles on the clock and was extremely tight. Yes, 99,000, not 9,900. It ran like a beast and had no history of problems. The car was extremely trouble free. No smoke, quiet (original turbos) and no lag. This thing was a true testament to German engineering. The 993 TT's that have trouble are the garage queens. The ones that never get driven. Find one with 30k-45K and drive it for many years to come. You should not have to spend more than 80k for this type of car. I let mine go for 61K. The guy got a great deal. The interior looked better than a lot of low milage cars I have seen. Virtually new. The previous owner drove it every day as his daily driver. He changed the oil every 5K and did all of the services on time. I now have the M5 which is fast and fun and useful, but it ain't a 993 TT. Nuff said.
Old 11-30-2001, 09:08 PM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

<STRONG> The 355 sounds awesome but a slug compared to my friends 86 930 or the 993tt.

Vince</STRONG>
Vince:

That's because Dr. Drew bought the best previously owned 930 available.
Inside joke.
Old 12-01-2001, 02:46 AM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

<STRONG>The 355 sounds awesome but a slug compared to my friends 86 930 or the 993tt. </STRONG>
The F355 I drove needed a lot more tire. I could light up the rears in 1st or 2nd at any rpm above 4000 (7800 rpm redline) just by mashing the gas, even in a straight line. I had to be real careful in the corners. Even if it had more horsepower I couldn't use it. That's one good thing about 911's, great off-the-line traction. The downside is that they don't feel as fast as other cars with the same stats. The e36 M3 feels as fast to me in ordinary driving as the 993 even though it's a half-second slower 0-60.

Quick Reply: Considering a 993 tt purchase