Sponsored by:

how much does a clutch last ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2001, 10:03 AM
sassofono
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post how much does a clutch last ?

I've searched the forum but wasn't able to find proper information about this topic.
In your experience, considering a "normal drive" (no race, daily driver) how much does a clutch last ?
I just bought a second hand 993 tt with 51k km, looks in mint condition, clutch is ok, but somebody told me that in 5/8k km I will face the problem.
I'd like to know your stories and experiences.
Thank
Marco 993 tt
Old 12-01-2001, 11:48 AM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It all depends on the type of driving. I have seen clutches wear as early as 15K miles in the hands of abusive drivers and I have drien cars for more than 100K miles without touching the clutch. In other words, there is no specific mileage at which a clutch needs to be changed.
Old 12-01-2001, 03:40 PM
Ran
Rennlist Member

Marco, I've never had a clutch or transmission go bad on me on any car, new or used. And as Viken said, I think it is quite dependent on driver. 51K km seems rather soon. One thing I'll add as regards clutch wear probability is that I would not go only by the rants on car boards - for sure these boards are great on how to fix problems or even about gauging the likelihood of non-clutch problems but car boards seem to have an undue amount of bad luck with clutches For example, the BMW M3 board, dominated by US drivers, complains incessantly about engine over-rev (since they shift erroneously into lower gear), clutch wear etc. Most of them want the car to be completely idiotproofed, performance credentials notwithstanding, and thats the reason why a lot of things eventually stop coming to the US. Milano? Nessuno problema!!

Generally speaking, IF USED RIGHT, it should not go bad too soon. In time maybe it will go bad but 51K kilometres is too too soon and you have to be either unlucky OR abusive. You have already bought the car and the clutch is fine now. So just enjoy it. All the best.
Old 12-02-2001, 05:05 PM
sassofono
Track Day

Thanks Viken, thanks Ran.
I think I needed to be reassured.
Hope I can have a lot of fun with my 993 tt.
Ciao
Marco 993 tt
Old 12-03-2001, 12:59 PM
jessejames
Instructor

Wink

Just bring the revs up to 3000 and side step the clutch a few times...you'll be impressed and buying a clutch, even if you had -0- kms
Old 12-04-2001, 10:37 AM
Wayne 993TT in France
Intermediate

Marco,

I replaced my clutch at 48K MILES. I think thats about normal for the TT.

cheers
Wayne

Quick Reply: how much does a clutch last ?