Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 996 vs 1997 993TT

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2001 | 11:27 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Post 2002 996 vs 1997 993TT

I am debating whether to get a new 2002 996 or a 1997 used 993TT with 15K miles. There is not much difference in price between the two. What should I look for in the 993TT? Does it feel heavy? I have a 1989 944T, obviously a totally different car. If I get a 2002 996, then I might wait till the prices drop some more on the 993TT. How reliable is an unmodified 993TT? Does it understeer terribly, if so can that be dialed out? How can I tell if it has been modified, ie chipped, and then unchipped? Does it make a difference? All I know is that I don't want to get a Z06.
Old 09-09-2001 | 02:56 PM
NickA
Advanced

Smile

Hi Riz - I had both (sort of) - 2000 996 C2 and 1996 993TT, and would buy either again without reservation. They are very different cars -- just check the archives and you'll see the 993/996 wars that have gone on in the past. That said, let me try to answer some of your questions:

Yes, the 993TT feels heavy -- it is heavy (3400+ pounds). But that doesn't really slow it down much....

The phrase "bulletproof" is perhaps over-used these days, but an unmodified 993TT that has been properly taken care of should last a long, long time. These cars are a bit over-engineered, IMHO. Drag racing and/or abuse will (of course) have an adverse impact, however.

My 993TT did not understeer terribly, and yes, any understeer can be dialed out if you so prefer. There are lots of things that can be done to these cars, suspension-wise.

As for detecting "chipping" or other performance modifications that have been undone -- perhaps the board experts can comment. I don't know if it would make a difference if there had been modifications done in the past, although to me this might indicate a harsher former life, which might put me off of that particular car/owner combination. As part of your pre-purchase inspection (at a reputable independent shop or dealership), you should have a leakdown test performed if you need to be absolutely sure. As an aside, I wouldn't spend that much money on a used vehicle unless I found the seller to be completely trustworthy.

As for the Z06, I've never driven one on the track, but they look like a lot of fun.

- Nick
ncamos@bellatlantic.net
Old 09-10-2001 | 01:31 PM
jessejames
Instructor

I'll comment on the Z06.
I traded my 01 for the TT. It used oil badly and Chevrolet would not stand behind their product. I have an 02 on order...the oil problem has been corrected.

BTW I've owned 911's and Corvettes at the same time for years.
Old 09-11-2001 | 12:51 AM
Rick in Portland
Addict
Rennlist Member

Riz,

It's pretty easy to tell if the ECU has been 'messed with'. The ECU is located under the driver's seat and is covered by a metal shield.

There are four bolts with round heads and a few hex-head 10mm bolts that holds the metal shield and ECU down. These round-head bolts are in place to prevent tampering with the ECU. In order to remove them, you either have to grind a slot in them, or grind them off.

You can move the seat all the way forward and look at the ECU from under the seat in the rear using a light. Feel around and see if you can find these round-head bolts.

I'm sure a Porsche mechanic could determine this very quickly.

Rick
Old 10-23-2001 | 03:41 PM
Garey Cooper
Rennlist Member

Riz, nice position to be in sir, congratulations. They are very different cars except that both will pin you to the back of the seat! I have the 996TT, I had a 993 C2. The 996 is a Grand Tourer or GT if you will. The 993 is more of a sport or perhaps "sprint" type vehicle. There is far less room on the inside of a 993 than a 996, are you married? Do you golf? Do you fish? Do you play LaCrosse? Any of these things require carrying cargo. The body of knowledge out there on modifying the 993TT is extensive and there are many owners to give you feed back. The 996TT is new enough that the body of knowledge is still building.

The 993TT if properly maintained is indeed nearly "bullet proof". Although I would not recommend firing any caliber of projectile at it to test the theory. It will run a long, long time.

Understeer is there but unless you are really going to track it in some way it will not hinder your ability to merge with traffic on any know road in the galaxy.

I would never (let me repeat this) I would never, ever, buy a 993TT without having it thoroughly checked by a competent mechanic. If some stuff does break or has been broken and inexpertly repaired the bills will bring tears to your eyes! So, get it checked before you write your "John Hancock" on any purchase agreement!

Drive 'em both and then YOU decide.
Old 10-25-2001 | 10:35 PM
John.
User

In my opinion, the 993TT is the better car.

A. It is constructed better (i.e. doors are more solid, etc.)
B. It looks better (subject to opinion of course)
C. It is faster
D. It is a classic
E. It has more character

To me the new cars (boxter and 911) seem over refined, and lack the curb appeal AND build quality of the older cars (including my two early 80s Porsches). When I'm ready to part with that kind of cash for a car, I will buy the 993/993TT.....or maybe a Ferrari 348??

Since you are looking at the 996 seriously, I can tell you they do drive very nicely, but don't have the twitchy feeling of the 993. I disliked the instrumentation and the interior. However, it was a car I did feel very comfortable in instantly.

Z06: that car doesn't begin to compare with either the 996 or the 993.
Old 10-27-2001 | 06:09 PM
Vreracing2
Track Day

I had a 944Turbo S and then later had a 993TT. The 993TT felt much faster, much easier to control and felt like much better of a car. When I sold the 993TT it had 56K miles on it and had had no serious problems.
Old 10-28-2001 | 01:49 PM
dino
AutoX

I agree with john-- the 993TT is a better car. Another issue to consider is resale value. A 993TT will hold its value better than a 996. Dino

Quick Reply: 2002 996 vs 1997 993TT