Sponsored by:

Cleaning Inside of Turbo Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2001, 01:54 AM
boostid
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Post Cleaning Inside of Turbo Wheels

Anybody know of a brush or other tool to clean the inside of 18" turbo wheels while mounted on car. All brushes I see don't fit between caliper/rotor and wheel.
Old 06-02-2001, 02:37 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have no problem reaching inside with a wash mitt on my hand. I don't see a need for a brush.
Old 06-03-2001, 01:49 PM
NickA
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I typically use a soft sponge or older wash mitt, PS21S Gel wheel cleaner and LOTS of water and elbow grease. When I get at all of the surfaces inside each wheel, I then roll the car forward a few inches to expose the previously blocked spaces and do it some more. Back breaking, but effective. Good luck!
Old 06-03-2001, 06:18 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

I agree with Viken and Nick about using a traditional mitt or sponge rather than a brush. I'd be concerned that you might nick the paint on the wheel or calipers if using a tool with a wooden or metal handle, due to the tight access. I use the same automotive car wash soap that I use on the rest of the car.

A trick that has helped me is to wax the entire wheel once in a while. The wheels are painted, and the waxing really reduces the ability of brake dust and other junk to adhere to the surface. I usually quickly wax them when having to remove them for some other purpose, such as bleeding the brakes or changing tires.

This makes washing "less" of a chore - though it is still a chore. Kind of reminds me of the sit-up portion of my work out. Important body part to exercise, but clearly my least favorite and the part I usually leave to the end and try to rationalize skipping!
Old 06-03-2001, 09:11 PM
Chad in NH
Intermediate

I use a bottle/glass brush from the local Kmart. It has sponge material for the head and a plastic handle. It fits neatly between the caliper and the wheel and since it's plastic I can use it vigorously without damaging the wheel itself. Costs about 50 cents.
Old 06-06-2001, 10:21 AM
Doc Vorce

The means and methods that others have described for cleaning inside 18" Turbo wheels are all very effective. However, if you are still interested in a wheel brush, then visit www.performanceproducts.com. Performance Products sells a 15" flexible wheel spoke brush (part 883168) which can simplify the task of cleaning inside wheels of all sorts.
Old 06-29-2001, 07:25 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 309 Likes on 214 Posts
I use a narrow radiator brush found at a local hardware store. It is only about 3/8" thick, like a wooden slat with bristles.

John
2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials SpeedTech Exhaust Videos facebook

Old 07-23-2001, 10:24 PM
Steve N.
Racer

I approach this job using many of the techniqes mentioned above. I use a long handled flat brush available at any grocery store(sold to clean toilets, I think) to reach through to clean the rim surface, followed with a sponge. I use a narrower, wood handled round "grill brush" to clean the wheel surface at the front disc - allows me to clean this area without rolling the car. I clean the backside of the spokes with a small sponge. After I've dried the car, I drive around the block and then wipe clean the inside surfaces of the wheels. Finally, I also wax the wheels frequently. Every time I go into a new hardware store I check out all the brushes, etc. to see if I can find better tools for this purpose.
Old 08-18-2001, 03:53 AM
boostid
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Thanks to everyone for responding to my question. I'll try the wheel cleaning methods you guys suggested and get back with results, if anyone cares. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Cleaning Inside of Turbo Wheels