Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2WD turbo

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006 | 11:15 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Brian, I did not drive my car in 4WD after the engine upgrade so I would not know how it would have handled. I also had upgraded suspension etc at the same time so it all needed to get to the right setup. I had a lot of throttle steer as well until I changed some bits and improved all the alignments.

The steering feel improvement was immediate however, the nimbleness comes from that mainly, it is lighter, and more precise than a 4WD setup.

You need a good LSD preferably too.
Old 11-08-2006 | 12:56 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

TJohnny,
Thanks, but ... I love my car. And I did get a chuckle out of the "in the dry, anyway"!
Jean,
Thanks for the input. I'll bet you got a lot of throttle steer. My suspension is pretty dialed in, for what I have now anyway. What did you have to do to yours after you got the car back? Did you have any involvement with ViperBob and his kit or go some other route? All of this is *very* tempting!
Old 11-08-2006 | 01:56 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Brian

Bob was the one who helped me out, it was one of his first setups.
The throttle steer I was talking about was in straight line, it might not be the right term.. It was very unsettling and outright dangerous.

I had a lot of work done on suspension and parts changed in a race shop in Germany, the key was to keep it streetable while having a solid car on the track. The car is too stiff however as a result of the Moton and the springs on it.

The 2WD conversion is one of the best things I have done to the car.
Old 11-08-2006 | 03:05 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Jean, would this mod make sense for someone who'd not done all the race mod's you've done to incorporate this into an overall scheme? I have to say you're driving me crazy with this "one of the best things I've done to the car" business. And does anybody know if Bob (or his kit) is still around/available? Is this all moot without it?

Originally Posted by Jean
Brian

Bob was the one who helped me out, it was one of his first setups.
The throttle steer I was talking about was in straight line, it might not be the right term.. It was very unsettling and outright dangerous.

I had a lot of work done on suspension and parts changed in a race shop in Germany, the key was to keep it streetable while having a solid car on the track. The car is too stiff however as a result of the Moton and the springs on it.

The 2WD conversion is one of the best things I have done to the car.
Old 11-18-2006 | 09:45 PM
Janina993
Advanced

Default Dyno test

I need to go reprogram my ecu and we will make it on 2wd dyno. So, obviously I have to disconnect drvie shaft while doing dyno test.
Which is the easiest (and safest) way to disconnect drive shaft only for dyno test?
Old 11-19-2006 | 04:27 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Brian,

Some people here have done these mods on their "decent" street cars and they don't track them. They are also very happy with the change. You will certainly feel more the impact of a poor suspension or alignments with a 2WD car, so it needs to be properly sorted, and an LSD would be a great addition, especially since you track.

I have not heard from Bob for a while, he seemed to be present at the 993 forum more often.
Cheers
Old 11-19-2006 | 09:23 AM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Jean
Brian,

You will certainly feel more the impact of a poor suspension or alignments with a 2WD car, so it needs to be properly sorted, and an LSD would be a great addition, especially since you track.
Jean,

Thanks for the additional input. Always appreciated. I recently upgraded my suspension and had a full alignment/geometry done. But I'll take your comment as a warning anyway. My car came with a factory installed LSD; at least that's what the window sticker says. Or did you mean something different/better than this?
Old 11-19-2006 | 10:14 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Brian,

It all depends on how you feel your car coming out of turns once you test it (assuming you are going 2WD )...You might need a 40-60 like a Guard or Motorsport LSD assuming the factory one you have is different..

I am sure Steve W. can answer that and point you in the right direction for this whole conversion..
I would simply drive it and decide.
Cheers
Old 11-19-2006 | 10:58 AM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Thanks, Jean.

Cheers
Old 04-17-2008 | 01:56 PM
Smiles
Pro

Originally Posted by Tim Wasmer
Will let you know in a few years?
In doing a search on this topic, I found this thread. I'm going to bump it up to see what people, including Tim Wasmer, have found in the real world after driving with the front driveshaft disconnected from the transmission. Thanks!

Matt
Old 04-17-2008 | 04:51 PM
Acropora
Burning Brakes

Front end is much more nimble/lively/less resistance to steering inputs. AWD for me felt kinda like driving a very fast tank.
Old 04-17-2008 | 06:52 PM
lthatch
Racer

Talk to Stephen Kasper at Imagine Auto. He's a true 993tt fan and understands the intricacies of rwd conversion. Tell him lthatch referred you (for an additional 5% surcharge)!
Old 04-17-2008 | 07:25 PM
jmayzurk
Rennlist Member

I did this conversion last August and have been happy with the results, although it took a bit of searching with alignment settings to make the handling right. I did the work myself using parts from ViperBob; more details here.
Old 04-17-2008 | 08:31 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jmayzurk
I did this conversion last August and have been happy with the results, although it took a bit of searching with alignment settings to make the handling right. I did the work myself using parts from ViperBob; more details here.
Care to elaborate on those alignment settings?

I'm taking my 2wd turbo in on Sat for an new one
Old 04-18-2008 | 12:33 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by lthatch
Talk to Stephen Kasper at Imagine Auto. He's a true 993tt fan and understands the intricacies of rwd conversion.
Aren't we all?

I have done the conversion myself as well (with a couple of techs' help ) using Bob's guidelines, about 4 hours if I recall correctly.

You need to get solid subframe mounts, and as far as alignment settings, you need to start with a 993RS base and take it from there. I would recommend a suspension in good shape and adjustable (at least the compression settings and height) preferably.

Quick Reply: 2WD turbo