Sponsored by:

Black on Black

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2003, 01:57 PM
hal m
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Black on Black

My birthday is Saturday and I am trying to buy myself a new toy.

My current and past cars were both silver (89 Silver Anniversay 911 and 95 Polar Silver). I have been looking for another silver TT for the past few months.

I have now located what seems to be a very good deal on a Black on Black 96TT. I have always liked black cars, but have been somewhat scared off by the cleaning/swirl marks issues.

My car is garaged both at home and at the office and I dust and clean the car at least once a week.

Am I **** enough to own a black car?

Hal
Old 04-14-2003, 02:39 PM
acastell
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I just purchase my first Black car...I too owned Silver Porsches (2 Arctic, 1 Polar).

I was very hesitant with the purchase, however, the car was equipped exactly how I wanted it and the History on the car was spotless!

I purchased the car in October '02 and immedialty Zaino'd the car:
1) Wash with Dishsoap (10 min)
2) Wash with Zaino Soap (10 min)
3) Clay the car (20 min)
4) Polish Lok (5 min)
5) Apply 1st coat of Polish (10 min)
6) Waif for polish to dry (1 hr to 24 hrs)
7) buff
8) Repeat 5,6,7 with normal polish
9) Repeat 5,6,7 WITH the "Zaino Black Car Polish"- This takes away ANY swirls
10) Repeat 5,6,7 with 1 more normal polish

After 2-3 days, the car is ready to go...this should be done 2/year.

So, now, all I do is wash the car every few weeks with the Zaino soap, NO swirls-takes probably 15-20 min. I washed my Silver cars every few weeks as well, that is one of my escape from wife and kids!!!

Sure, the car gets dirty, but after a 15 min wash, the car looks immaculate! I do not have a single swirl. If my car had swirl marks, I would sell the car and buy Silver...no need to now.

After swearing off Black for a decade, I am not a convert.

If you are the type that washes your cars with some regularity, then go for it!!!!

Also, the flat black the Porsche uses is Brilliant!
Old 04-14-2003, 02:55 PM
John H. in DC Area
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by hal m:
<strong>
My car is garaged both at home and at the office and I dust and clean the car at least once a week.

</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">I would say that protection and that routine will keep the car looking terrific. Also, I'm one of the few who think a 911 with grime streaks along the side and up the rear bumper after a long hard ride looks pretty cool ... a sign the car's been put through its paces for the day. I wash twice a month, and wax about four times a year, just because I love doing it.
Old 04-14-2003, 03:37 PM
acastell
Racer

I typed above:

After swearing off Black for a decade, I am 'not' a convert.

The 'not' should be 'now'!
Old 04-14-2003, 04:35 PM
Seljan
Pro

I just recently took delivery on my first black car..a 2003 carbon black M3smg.Its a freekin nightmare keeping it clean!For the 5-10 minutes after I finish washing and waxing its gorgeous.I don't think I would do black again.My porsches are far easier to keep clean.
Old 04-15-2003, 02:58 AM
EricGT3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hal,
I've had 3 black cars, the TT, an older 930 and an NSX. Only discovered Zaino after the TT and reading this board. I've got to say Zaino makes owning a black car that much easier. I think you're ready for a black car. When she's clean, it's absolutely beautiful, but when dirty.... If you wash it weekly, there's no problem at all. After you get a bunch of zaino coats on, then you just use the Z-6 polish/wash once a week to remove light dust. It's so easy and keeps the shine. Pretty amazing stuff.

Eric
Old 04-18-2003, 02:50 AM
bbeckmann
Instructor

What product is "Zaino Black Car Polish"? Don't see it on the web site.

And we have clearcoats on our black cars, right?
Old 04-18-2003, 05:35 AM
EricGT3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bobby,

There is no "Zaino Black Car Polish". It's just zaino. We do have clearcoats on our black cars.

Eric
Old 04-18-2003, 12:10 PM
bbeckmann
Instructor

So, acastell, what's the difference between steps 8 and 9 in your guide up there? Is 8 Z5 and 9 Z2?
Old 04-18-2003, 12:37 PM
acastell
Racer

I should have been more clear...

The Zaino product is called Z5. This is specifically designed for Black cars to remove any swirls. It works like a dream. I strongly recommend this!

I forgot to mention Z6, the Gloss Enhance. This is considered usefull in between washes. Simply spray on your car and wipe clean. I use this immediatly after I polich (2 time/year) and after each wash. I am hesitant to spray it on my car after a drive.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-18-2003, 12:40 PM
acastell
Racer

Hal, I noticed that you did not see my response to your PM...here is what I wrote:

Actually, all of these are Zaino Products. None of this is wax based. Application and removal is painless. Zaino numbers their products. When I get home, I can write down the #s and send to you. One nice beneift: If your arm gets tired when you are buffing off the polish, then you over applied. Literally, if done right, the weight of the towel will buff the car. Really excellent stuff!

Here is a link (some privater person's tips I think) with a detailed application description. I love this stuff...I will never use anything else!!!

<a href="http://www.c5-corvette.com/zaino_tips.htm" target="_blank">http://www.c5-corvette.com/zaino_tips.htm</a>
Old 04-18-2003, 02:41 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Don't forget the California Duster, works like a dream on dust.
Old 04-18-2003, 11:00 PM
krish
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica"> Also, I'm one of the few who think a 911 with grime streaks along the side and up the rear bumper after a long hard ride looks pretty cool ... a sign the car's been put through its paces for the day </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica"> Hear, hear....

Sigh... I had wanted a black car all along but the silver I finally picked up was too good to pass up (the only thing it had going against it was the color). One more piece of evidence that there is a perverse intelligence out there that plays with men and mice...

cheers,
Kris
'97 Artic Silver 993tt - PSS-9s
'89 Zenith blue 964 C4
'89 Black Nisssan 300ZXTT
'89 Black BMW 535I
'01 Black shifter kart
'03 Black coffee mug...

Quick Reply: Black on Black