Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1997 transmission vibration/whine question

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 05:27 PM
osugasman
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PiB993: take a look at my updated post on this exact issue. The SSK and bushing replacements helped--plus it shifts much nicer now, but didn't solve the problem.

I wonder what is meant by "raising the gear shift 1mm"????? Do they mean loosening the bolts on the clamshell piece that goes over the tube?

--Brian
Old 04-12-2013, 10:35 AM
PiB993
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 100 Posts

Is there something right underneath the gear lever **** - like a metal colar that can be tightened? I'm almost certain now that is where my vibration is coming from underneath the leather boot. I gently pull up on this piece of metal in there and my sound disappears but then it slips down and vibrates again.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:48 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

You can pull the gear ****'s "skirt" up over her head. YOu will need to unclip the bottom of the leather boot from the center console - there are a few friction clips on both sides. You can do it from the top if you know where the clips are - first time I recommend taking the center console out to peek underneath. Its held by two screws at the back under the cassette or storage bin, and on the front by a few screws behind the switches on the bottom console *the panel just pulls off*. There are two longer screws around the handbrake handle.

Anyways, if you get the bottom of the boot off, you will be able to pull it up, and you will find a setscrew holding the **** on.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 04-12-2013, 02:09 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
you will find a setscrew holding the **** on.
Are you sure? Don't remember a setscrew, seem to remember it being just a pressure fit with a rubber piece inside the **** (that can get twisted and not fit properly), but it could be my memory.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:37 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

There seems to be some variance. On the **** I removed off my turbo, it had a setscrew - this was one of those polish aluminum ball types (apprently quite expensive). I installed a 996 Turbo shifter (the one with the Turbo script on it) it also had a setscrew. So I bet there are two different systems then.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 04-12-2013, 06:05 PM
PiB993
Rennlist Member

There's info on the shift boot removal online and on rennlist. It does feel like there is a set screw - I'm not sure what I would liken it to - other than it's rather high profile and you can feel it through the leather but Im not sure until I or my mech get it open. I'm somewhat reluctant with my clumsy hands doing cosmetic damage.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ob-rattle.html
Old 04-12-2013, 06:40 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

The ones that I have dealt with are on the forward side of the **** (ie. facing the front of the car), and when screwed in, fairly flush.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:22 AM
C4S993
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had same symptoms on my '96 C4S and it turned out be front diff. Replaced with low miles diff and all ok. (oil leaked out of front diff past worn oil gasket and destroyed diff).

Patrick
Old 12-15-2013, 10:07 PM
PiB993
Rennlist Member

Just a a late update. There was a random circular ring of metal about 1" i.d. and maybe 1/4" long just sitting along the gear lever under the shift boot. It would rattle like hell when it wasn't pressed up against part of the shift lever and then fall down and start rattling again. With it removed completely that eliminated 99% of the noise but there is still a high frequency and feelable vibration when touching the shift lever. And it varies in intensity from time to time. Doesn't do it in first - usually I'll be cruising along at 70mph steadily or gently speeding up to 70 and out of nowhere I'll detect the sound. And it does do it in neutral a little.

A respected mech has driven it and didn't make any comment. Same guy who removed the odd metal piece. 2 previous owners and supposedly (carfax correct) only 14,000 miles. I've had it 2 years. Different tranny I know but totally different feel compared to a C2 993 I drove many years ago that slide like silk into gears. Mine is rather notchy unless I perfectly match the revs on downshifts.

Maybe a fluid change? Maybe it's nothing and I should focus on another area of the car - washing perhaps.
Old 09-06-2015, 03:27 AM
PiB993
Rennlist Member

Just a better observation. I believe it's the same thing. I have changed the fluid now as well. Occasionally, on a 50-60 mile drive, towards the end I will get this buzzing/whine sound while cruising on the on the highway. It will continue exactly the same even in neutral. It starts all at once out of no where. I don't notice it when I am finally in the city driving 1-2-3-4 gears. I can feel it in the shifter too.

Quick Reply: 1997 transmission vibration/whine question