Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's your choice? 97 993TT or 06 997

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 05:46 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Why are you restricting yourself to TT or C4S? Why not consider the entire line-up of 993s? If you must have a widebody, why not the C2S? If you must have AWD, why not the C4? In any event, I have driven the C4S before I got the TT. The C4S is a great car. Plenty of power for all but the biggest lunatics. That said, once you drive a TT, you are a lost soul. NOTHING else will do after a test drive. Yes, its that good and that different.

I must say the 356 and the 70 targa are also great cars, and it will be a shame to have to sell either or both. If its simply a money issue, buy a lottery ticket.

Happy to help you through your difficulties.
Old 10-31-2006, 05:52 PM
robo356
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve, I drove a 97 S Turbo last weekend and an 07 Vette a couple of months ago. BIG mistake!!!! My slumbering addiction to torquey acceleration has been awakened.

Rob
Old 10-31-2006, 05:57 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ca993twin
...once you drive a TT, you are a lost soul. NOTHING else will do after a test drive. Yes, its that good and that different.
Happy to help you through your difficulties.
Quite right, Steve. I had a 78 911SC with 120,000 miles on it that I honestly believed I'd keep forever. Then a friend in Reno got one of the very first TT's imported into the States. Not only did he give me a ride, he let me drive it. My soul was lost in that one 20 minute drive. Took me a while to find one of my own, but I began looking the same day.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:41 PM
urban_alchemist
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bb911tt
My soul was lost in that one 20 minute drive. Took me a while to find one of my own, but I began looking the same day.
Seems to be quite a common afliction this 'running off with the heart' thing. For me, it took all of 50m after firing her up... all doubts and hesitation vanished, as did my soul...
Old 10-31-2006, 06:47 PM
urban_alchemist
Pro

... and that was before tasting 'the boost'...
Old 10-31-2006, 07:40 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Default quality

I spent considerable time looking at , and driving a few newer porsche, the 996 and 997, and then ultimately made the decision to put together a few aircooled 993s . I have a black 96' turbo/cashmere which quite frankly, is as performance-oriented as any car you will find.
the looks of the car are oustanding and have a more retro, older-school personality, something you do not see in todays' cars. The curves are seductive and the interior is comfortable, relaxed yet puts you ina perfectly responsive position.

my biggest distaste for the current models from porsche and bmw (i had an m6 which i luckily sold for breakeven after just a few months of owning it) is simple: the money, the value, is too much focused on gizmos and gadgets, navigation and stereo, and controls/devices to help you too much to drive controllably, to automatically adjust suspension. flashing leds, lcds, and all that costs money. that navigation system is a good 5, 6k when you get all said and done. personally, i'd rather that money be invested in drop-dead gorgeous leather work, and detail.

there is something totally awsome about the older school headlights that do NOT turn off automatically, a **** you have to turn right instead of comingon without intervention. doors that click shut in amazing fashion. driver feedback that matters, and no other nonesense.

the second you roll that 997 off the lot, it depreciates a good 20k$, well maybe not exactly that since so many are listed for sale at msrp or a tad more. the 993s already have had the depreciation squeezed out of them, and they are moving upwardly or sideways, but that premium has already been taken out.

i do not see someone paying $150,000 in 2016 for a 2006 turbo S. 1997 turbo's are selling for those kinds of figures here in 2006.

i like owning something that you have to do a little work to maintain. something is unique, exceptional, that will get harder and harde rto own and buy.
the aircooleds sound better and i think, respond better to later models.

u pull up in a 993tt, or any olderschool porsche, to any light at any giventime, you basically can take just about anything on 4 wheels other than a zo6, or a 997. and you are doing it in one of the sexiest, classiest machines around.

me? no hesitation. i'd take the 993 every single time until they are no longer to be found, no longer serviceable ,or porsche comes out with something better.
it is telling that the current 997s are going back to the wide body styling.

ultimately, you'll love both but you gotta go where your heart tells u to go. you blow a turbo on a 993, and you're out of pocket several k, you'll be wishingyou had a nice juice 4 year warranty .
Old 10-31-2006, 07:54 PM
sfbanchs
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

i couldnt have put it better myself that was a well thoyught out thorough answer to your question

thanks spg993tt
Old 10-31-2006, 07:55 PM
sfbanchs
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

my dilemma was simple i knew i wanted a twin turbo so it was either a 993 or a 996 the rest is history
Old 10-31-2006, 08:05 PM
urban_alchemist
Pro

+1 spg993tt

However, I think the killer stroke for me (after living with my Cayenne and Golf Gti) was the lack of a seatbelt beep... those things can drive you insane...
Old 11-02-2006, 02:28 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

i had an M6 that was scarey with that beep. it would go and not stop until you locked in. the worst part of the m6 was all the chit chat about problems with the SMG, their shifting paddle devices. had a ton of lag, didnt provide the inspiration/feel that a manual provides, and since it was computer driven, a lot of people were literally finding themselves with the engines cutting out because of bad software. now i love software. i grew up as a loner on a trs-80 and then begged mom for an AppleIIe. i use computers for a living and we write code. but something to me seems a bit off when you havent bug tested your code enough such that the module controlling the engine of a 500+ hp car cuts off without notice and then becomes disfunctional so that the car has to be flatbedded. and it happens to many cars, often. "oooops. tommy, did you release version 4.2 just yet". "uh , yeah, i though you said 90minute of testing was sufficient". "oh, ok, we'll deal with it on the next revision".

little silly electronic switchs and auto wipers and all that nonesense are more affordable to mass-produce, and probably net, less problematic than manual headlight turn *****. but i say take all your high tech gadgetry and sell it to someone else.
this is comign from a guy typing ona 3.06mhz 2ig memory, 150gig scsi drive, 3 flat monitor setup, with a razor cell phone on my hip, a bluetooth talking thing for my ear, a navigation screen in my suburban....time and place . time and place. for my suburban, give me the gadgets. i need it.
for our pleasure driving, simplicity is the key.

by the way, my take on the 997 is very positive. its a great machine. not sure i like that they softened it up a bit. a tad more like the m6, making it comfy for the bigger population to drive. i guess the gt2 and gt3 is where the action is there days. that was my second biggest concern abou tthe m6. if i was a ceo that was traveling a lot and wanted to travel in style, it was a great beast. stylish, fast exciting for the business jaunts. bolts up the coast to a bed/breakfast, but if you just wan tto go out and rip around a bit, get an hour in before dinner and kids....put on some rolling stones and just forget about everything else...that car is too sterile.

Originally Posted by urban_alchemist
+1 spg993tt

However, I think the killer stroke for me (after living with my Cayenne and Golf Gti) was the lack of a seatbelt beep... those things can drive you insane...
Old 11-02-2006, 03:44 PM
TEMPELTON
Intermediate

Pero tron....cómo comparar un biturbo con una carraca de 997? cómprate el 993...vamos hombre!!!!
Old 11-02-2006, 04:42 PM
urban_alchemist
Pro

Originally Posted by TEMPELTON
Pero tron....cómo comparar un biturbo con una carraca de 997? cómprate el 993...vamos hombre!!!!
Claro
Old 11-02-2006, 04:46 PM
EndlessEarth
Instructor

Originally Posted by TEMPELTON

I do not speak your language but I see your point nonetheless.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:02 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I believe his post, when translated and reduced to the important elements said "A picture is worth a million words".
Old 11-02-2006, 05:16 PM
leonsamonas
Instructor

Originally Posted by urban_alchemist
"Ermmm... the 997's new and you'll be cool... that's what they're saying at my bank."

Seriously, 'either or' there's one answer... if we're talking about 'and' or an RT12 (or maybe RKompressor) then it might be up for discussion...
I'll second that

Quick Reply: What's your choice? 97 993TT or 06 997