Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help! RE: Purchase of 993tt

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2003, 01:30 AM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts
I think you are too trusting of "authorized" dealers. You are trying to purchase a very complex 'used' high performance car. The pressure is on you to make a sound purchase. The extended warranty should be carefully examined so that you understand what is really covered.

I recently inpsected a 1996 993 Turbo for sale at a Porsche dealer. The sales manager told me to rest assured, they had gone through everything on the car. I found plenty of 'issues' with it. They hadn't fixed or disclosed any of them. So... I don't know what they were up to.

It isn't easy for most of us to find the 'right' 993 turbo so I wouldn't eliminate any sources. Just be an informed and diligent buyer. The car you are talking about in this forum may be the right one for you, just proceed carefully.

About finding the car's last owner. Try the PCA region in that area and see if they know who had it. You can also have any Porsche dealer look up warranty and recall work on the car. The records also identify the dealership that first sold the car. Some Porsche dealers are helpful with prior owner info and some, as you know, are not.
Old 04-03-2003, 01:50 AM
pwrsurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just get it Dude, life is but a nanosecond. If the karma is there it will work. Not all dealers are sharks and if you have references and the company is interested in service and professionalism you should be OK. Besides a year's warranty on a nearly 8 yr old car is pretty good.

Enjoy it and drive it!

Tom (just bought a 96 993tt from a fellow 'lister' and though we've never met he is already a great friend)
Old 04-03-2003, 02:14 AM
EricGT3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I tend to agree, life is way too short. All the advice given by this forum is sound, get a PPI, etc. etc. But the final decision is in your hands. About 5-6 yrs ago, I bought a 88 930 with 5,000 miles on it from a friend of mine who collects cars. This sucker was brand spanking new inside and out. No imperfections at all. It was real tight too. But 6 months later, the thing starting leaking oil, all the seals were old and brittle from the sitting around. So it cost me $5k to have it redone. Well the moral is, no matter what condition, how many PPIs you do, inspecting it with an electron microscope, you could drive it off the lot and something will break. After all, it's a state of the art machine that's 7 years old. It's usually pretty easy to tell the general condition of a car. If it's clean, it's clean. If it's got issues here and there, then stay away. If you're happy with it, then go for it. There aren't that many of these things around. Just be prepared that these cars are expensive.

Buy it and enjoy it.

Eric
Old 04-03-2003, 02:36 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am flying to CT. this wknd., thanks for all the advice.

Quick Reply: need help! RE: Purchase of 993tt