Sponsored by:

need help! RE: Purchase of 993tt

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2003, 03:21 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question need help! RE: Purchase of 993tt

I think i finally found the 993tt i want. Sold directly from a porsche dealer with a one year powertrain warranty.(thanks anir for your previous help)
However, I am worried about one fact in the carfax history. The car was bought by a second owner on 11/06/2001 at about 22,000 miles, and the car still has about the same milage, and yet the dealer tells me that it was just very recently traded-in.
what can explain this?
Old 04-01-2003, 03:36 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Instead of wild speculation from us, why not just contact the previous owner and ask him?
Old 04-01-2003, 06:52 PM
John H. in DC Area
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Jeff is right. If you have contact information, a polite inquiry to the former owner will yield the best results (although the cynic in me recognizes that even former owners may have some incentive to obfuscate the truth under certain circumstances).

Some folks own so many cars that any given car might not make it out of the garage much. Sometimes personal, health or financial emergencies occur, preventing a long ownership or frequent operation. The dreaded reason, of course, would be if the car was in an accident and took a long time to be rebuilt. FWIW, I recently looked at a TT for another Rennlister. The first owner had the car from xxx to 26,000 miles and the second owner had it for only 2,000 miles then sold it.

A year and a half of inactive time is not good for hoses, fluids, suspension, gaskets, etc. Even though you have a commitment for a limited warranty, I wouldn't buy unless you got to the bottom of it and could weigh whether it should impact the sales price.
Old 04-01-2003, 07:29 PM
acastell
Racer

Would you mind providing us with a brief (color/major options/upgrades)
description and price...as a 993tt owner, I am always interested in the current market price.
Old 04-02-2003, 02:24 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

The dealer refuses to give me any info. on previous owner(due to confidentiality), but thinks he just stored the vehicle.
The car is silver on gray with the only extra is a cd player as far as i know.(I think all turbos came with full leather,tach.,and rear viper). Asking price is $72,900. I know I can get it for $70,000.
The car looks good, I don't know anyone in connecticut to do a ppi. but, the price seems great for one with warranty. I am having a local mechanic check it out.
I may buy it this wknd. any input welcome
Old 04-02-2003, 03:14 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Seems a little bit on the high side.

Especially since you can find heavily modified ( $20k + ) TT's for a bit less.

I might push for the low to mid 60's on this one.

Remeber to have the PPI done even if it has a warranty.
Old 04-02-2003, 03:28 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Jeeva,

You do not state whether this is a '96 0r a '97. This makes several $Ks difference in price. As an example, I just bought a '97 with 35K miles for $61K. Car was great, but did need a new oil cooler ($300) and a 35K mile tune up. If this is a 96, then the price is way too high as Jeff stated.

GET THE PPI. Call the Connecticut Valley Region PCA and find an inspector. You should be able to find this on the PCA website I believe.

Good luck
Old 04-02-2003, 03:42 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by jeeva:
<strong>The car is silver on gray with the only extra is a cd player as far as i know.(I think all turbos came with full leather,tach.,and rear viper). </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">I am not sure it was standard, but it is best to keep the Vipers in the rear
Old 04-02-2003, 03:52 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

I am surprised to hear that the price is high. I have been looking for several months, the lowest price for silver/blk or grey that i found was $75k for similar milage and with no warranty.
I have found prices in the mid to high sixtees for other colors or higher milage.
I am particular about the polar silver though, and i am willing to pay a little higher for it (it is my dream car after all.)
Old 04-02-2003, 03:57 PM
Bill Z
Advanced

Have the dealer contact the previous owner and get him to call you. Confidentiality is maintained. If the dealer wants the sale he will do it. Bill Z
Old 04-02-2003, 04:23 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by jeeva:
<strong>I am surprised to hear that the price is high. I have been looking for several months, the lowest price for silver/blk or grey that i found was $75k for similar milage and with no warranty.
I have found prices in the mid to high sixtees for other colors or higher milage.
</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Check this out: <a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2408810701&category=10156" target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2408810701&category=10156</a>

1996 Polar Silver TT, 22K miles, 69K

<strong>
I am particular about the polar silver though, and i am willing to pay a little higher for it (it is my dream car after all.)
</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Absolutely get the one that you want. If you are paying this kind of money, you don't need to comprimise. Just be patient, you'll find it.
Old 04-02-2003, 08:35 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Yes, get the one you want UPFRONT. There is a car up at The Racers Group right now that was a '96 Turbo Arena Red with Grey interior. The owner wanted it changed to Black / Black as he said he could not find one. It is now costing an extra $35K on top of whatever he paid for the car in the first place to get the color combo he truly wanted.... And here I could have saved him money by buying my car for $100K.
Old 04-02-2003, 09:41 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

jeff,
I contacted the e-bay seller, who says he has refused an offer of $67, and he is not interested in any offer below $69.
viperbob
I have sent in an e-mail to connecticut pca for ppi inspector, hope i'll hear from them soon.
If you guy's think that a 96 silver porsche with 20 odd thousand miles can be had for mid 60's (and bob you bought your 97 for $61), what are those AD's asking for 80 -100 k's for these cars thinking?
Also, i really feel comfartable with a one year warranty and buying from an "authorized" dealer (I am the type of person who buys extended warranties, eventhough everyone says it is a waste of money). I know i may be able to shave off about $5k if i wait, I've waited a looooong time, my wife is OK with it now, for a dream car i don't mind "over-paying" 5k I guess, if ppi and else work i just might buy it.
Thanks for all the help, and if you guys have any links to any other similar porsche for sale less than $70k, please let me know.
Old 04-02-2003, 10:29 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Jeeves,

Your logic is correct. If you found the car you want, its not way overpriced (and its not), by all means get the car. There are a few guys that have found some ouitstanding deals (viperBob for one), but sometimes, they're just not around when you're ready. A one year warranty is worth plenty of peace of mind. After you're done with the price negotiations, see if they'll throw in a car cover or other tidbits that will come in handy later. Get it, and enjoy it. They are amazing cars.
Old 04-03-2003, 01:20 AM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Yep - if you found the car you want and it checks out, then it is worth what YOU are willing to pay - not what us rennlist guys think a hypothetical 993TT with similar miles and condition should bring. I think that the eBay one is worth at least 69K if it checks out clean - and if I were the seller I would wait for that amount as well.

Quick Reply: need help! RE: Purchase of 993tt