Sponsored by:

Best Bra for a TT

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2003, 02:08 PM
hal m
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Best Bra for a TT

I am considering purchasing a car 2,000 miles from home and anticipating an awesome roadtrip through the desert.

What is the best solution for a bra for these cars?

Thanks,
Hal
Old 03-26-2003, 02:14 PM
Pete K
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A 3M product such as Stongard or clearbra etc. Depends whats local to your area.

<a href="http://www.stongard.com" target="_blank">www.stongard.com</a> is an example

My car came with a bra and I used it to get home. However, it was dry and the car was perfectly clean before the bra was installed and I still had a little bit of scuffing to the paint along the seam right in the front. I was able to polish it out thank god.

Pete
Old 03-26-2003, 03:32 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Personally, I'd stay away from using a bra.

Using a bra is a tricky thing.

First you have to make sure that the car is completely clean and waxed.

Then you have to be sure that you fits the bra on correctly, so that the wind won't make it flap around. Keep in mind to do this, there's a lot of tension in the bra, which may slightly bend some body panels, most noteable the hood.

Then when it rains, you have to be sure that you remove it promptly, so the the wet bra doesn't damage your paint.

If you leave your car out in direct sunlight, you have to be aware that you car may fade a different rates, where the bra is located.

Even if you store your car inside, you'll want to periodically remove the bra to make sure that no abrasives got under it, which will scratch your paint.

If the bra doesn't fit properly, it could fly up into the windshield blocking your vision. A rennlister had this happen to him at the track. Kind of a bad situation, to say the least.
Old 03-26-2003, 04:59 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
My used Porsche came with a bra, and I noticed some odd scratches on the tops of both fenders, near the headlights. I used the bra on my raod trip to Arizona, and I could see the bra flapping in that area. Mystery solved, and no more bra for me. I really like those 3M stonegaurd thingees.
Old 03-26-2003, 05:42 PM
KPV
Burning Brakes

You might try looking at <a href="http://www.speedlingerie.com." target="_blank">www.speedlingerie.com.</a> They aren't cheap, but probably the best quality you will find. I have also had success with Colgan bras on my 944Turbo, 993 and now 996TT. However, you must follow many of the precautions stated by Jeff 993TT.
Old 03-26-2003, 05:59 PM
Pete K
Pro

Hey Hal,
Tell us more about the car and the trip you would need to take to get it home.

Pete
Old 03-31-2003, 06:49 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
If you don't plan on using the Porsche/Colgan bra when you get home. Try using racing tape on the leading edges, and the Magbra for the hood area.
Old 04-01-2003, 12:46 AM
Dick in TN
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have owned my TT for six years, and have had a Colgan bra for it since new.

It comes with good instructions how to install. Properly fitted, it won't come loose. Mine never has, and I've done a couple of DE's with it.

I put a soft cloth under the bra at the back edge where it goes across the top of the fenders.

To clean it I run it through a cold gentle wash cycle without soap and hang it on a shower rod overnight. If you encounter rain, it'll get dirty. On trips, I rinse it in the bathtub to clean it.

Admittedly, they are a lot of trouble, but for $100 you may save some paint damage going through the desert.
Old 04-01-2003, 02:01 AM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Hal - if you buy this car I will be happy to help you install a 3M clear bra once you get it back here. I do think that stome damage driving back from Texas will be minimal. Most of the time, tyou will be alone with no other close cars to kick things up. Michele and I really had no issues with this driving from Dallas to SF. One drive to Tahoe will expose you to about 20 times more rocks.
Old 04-03-2003, 09:02 AM
stinky
Instructor

Any comments - good or bad - on the Mag Bra?

Quick Reply: Best Bra for a TT