Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil leak in front of car

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2003 | 12:11 AM
LeeR
Racer

Unhappy Oil leak in front of car

I just spotted a small puddle of oil under the front of the car. It's dead center, about two feet back from the front of the car. There's a drainage hole there and a black rubber tube hangs about 1 inch from the bottom of the car. It's draining from that rubber tube.

I looked in the front trunk, and there's some oil in the center channel that runs under the spare tire. My spare tire is in very tight, and I didn't want to risk throwing my back out trying to remove the spare tire to look further.

Anyone have any idea where this oil is coming from? Maybe the front differential? I'll take it in to dealer to get it checked out. Any comments/ideas are appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-06-2003 | 12:33 AM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Lee,

A common problem is a leaking steering rack. There is no fix... must replace the rack. Ugh. Hardly seems fair, after all you've already been through. Mine was replaced by the previous owner. But I've seen several other posts about the same issue. I hate to say it, but that steering rack is around a $2000 repair. Ugh. I hope I'm wrong.
Old 02-06-2003 | 12:54 AM
LeeR
Racer

Steve, I replaced the steering rack 10 months ago when I bought the car, so I doubt it's that.

Just replaced the windshield today at $1000. It was badly pitted when I bought the car, so it's overdue.
Old 02-06-2003 | 10:39 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Lee - check the Pentosin resevoir near the back (toward the windshield) of the trunk on the driver's side. If it is oily, you probably have what I had - a bad master cylinder that is forcing Pentosin out of the resevoir and into your trunk. If this is the case, I recommend getting it fixed as if you do not the next thing to go is the hydraulic pump in the engine which is a pricey fix. The master / slave cylinder fix should not be too bad in price. This is getting so common in 993s it is almost worth starting a database ala the wiring harness to try to force a recall.
Old 02-07-2003 | 03:31 AM
LeeR
Racer

Kim, good idea about spare quart of oil which I carry, but it's not the culprit.

Bill, I checked the Pentosin resivoir and it looks dry, and there's nothing dripping below it. Everything I can visually check is dry, except for fluid on floor of trunk under spare tire. Checked with dealer service and they also guessed it's a problem with hydraulic system.

Thanks for your comments. I'll have it checked and report back.
Old 02-11-2003 | 02:09 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

Lee,
I always watch your problems with great interest (and fear) as our cars are only 1 serial number apart!
Old 02-12-2003 | 09:36 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Lee,

Could it be brake fluid? The reason I ask is that our 993TT's have a pressure accumulator (part of the brake booster circuit) located just aft of the spare tire down low in the right side of the front trunk. A pressure of up to 180 bar is present at the bleeder valve of the pressure accumulator.

Although I don't always do it, a complete brake fluid flush involves opening the pressure accumulator bleeder valve. If you or someone else recently bled your brakes, it could be that they either left some brake fluid in the trunk, or didn't tighten the bleeder valve adequately. Believe me, that puppy can spray some fluid.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-13-2003 | 12:05 AM
LeeR
Racer

Anir, right on, you win the prize. I posted the fix in another thread, but it's as you guessed. You win the Amana Freezer! Thanks, Lee.

Quick Reply: Oil leak in front of car