Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brake caliper inserts

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2003 | 11:40 PM
alfizzo
Track Day

Post brake caliper inserts

has anyone installed oem brake pads with out those little inserts that go inside the pistons on the big red calipers? iam changing brake pads to metal master oem replacment however iam not sure if i should install those inserts to prevent squealing. i heard that the brakes squeal if those inserts are not installed. any input would be appreciated?
Old 03-19-2003 | 12:50 AM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

alfizzo..

Welcome to the board.. I'm running without the anti squeal pads just fine.

I replaced my pads with OEM pads and don't sqeal for the most part. However, if use the brakes lightly all the time, it appears to make the squealing worse. My solution is to apply the brakes with more force. You're not driving a cadallac.

The topic of brake pads, squealing, anti squeal pads, etc have been discussed many times, both in this forumn and on the 993 forumn. If you do a search of the archives, you'll see what I mean.

And I know what your next question is: Is there a brake pad that doesn't squeal, is dustless, and provides better stopping power than stock? Unfortunately, the short answer is no.
Old 03-19-2003 | 01:06 AM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Alfizzo,

I did reuse the anti-squeal shims, but as Jeff suggested, it isn't necessary. Actually, my pads still squeal even with the shims. Maybe, it would be best to put in new shims if you choose to reuse them.

Welcome to the board.
Old 03-19-2003 | 01:08 AM
alfizzo
Track Day

thanks jeff. i order the inserts but might not use them. i might switch to a set of pagid orange from time to time and dont want to spend $100 on inserts each time i change to the oem pads.

Quick Reply: brake caliper inserts