Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cat Bypasses Installed

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2003, 05:57 PM
GoldenBear
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info, Steve. That clears things up for me. From what I've been reading, this seems to be the first mod recommended for the car. Let me know which way you go (pre-fab vs. DIY), and how it works out. I'm not too handy with a welder, but my old man sure is, so I might go the DIY route if it's not too overwhelming.
Old 03-13-2003, 06:04 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Kevin,

I've got a far more serious problem than you... my wife wants that TT to be QUIET! I tried disconnecting the mufflers (a simple, 15-minute experiment) to see if I wanted to go with a muffler bypass instead of the cat bypass. Nice, agressive sound, a little "bark". About a 20 HP (butt-o-meter) improvement. But my wife HATED it. So now, I need Scott to bring his car around to have my wife listen to a cat bypass and see if she'll approve that sound. Once I'm past that hurdle, I will investigate further. BTW, a third option is to have a good muffler shop (perhaps your Dad) make up the cat bypasses by hand. My guy said he could do it for $300 -> $400, complete.
Old 03-13-2003, 06:45 PM
Rick in Portland
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bob,

Did you ask Bob Holcomb about his trick CAT bypass system he can make out of your exisiting CATS?

I'm curious if he is still doing that.

Rick
<a href="http://www.993tt.com" target="_blank">www.993tt.com</a>
Old 03-13-2003, 08:44 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Rick,

No I didn't. I want my cats intact so I can swap back in a couple of years.

Steve,

The Racers Group looked at the Fabspeed kit and their reaction was not good. First, it uses standard exhaust pipe. Not stainless by any means. Second, if you got a quote for $2-300. then that is great. TRG was estimating most of a day to cut and fabricate the two pipes (which will require a lot of fitting), and then welding all the flanges on the old cats, the new pipes, and the stock pipes. I decided to go with the pre-built.
Old 03-14-2003, 01:40 AM
GoldenBear
Intermediate

Smile

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by ca993twin:
<strong>
I've got a far more serious problem than you... my wife wants that TT to be QUIET! I tried disconnecting the mufflers (a simple, 15-minute experiment) to see if I wanted to go with a muffler bypass instead of the cat bypass. Nice, agressive sound, a little "bark". About a 20 HP (butt-o-meter) improvement. But my wife HATED it. So now, I need Scott to bring his car around to have my wife listen to a cat bypass and see if she'll approve that sound. Once I'm past that hurdle, I will investigate further..</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">There are definite perks to being single... Freedom to modify car at will being one of them.

Sounds like the ol' axiom remains true on the cat-bypass question --&gt; you get what you pay for. The $500 option is sounding less and less attractive to me.
Old 03-14-2003, 05:49 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Gents:

I'd like to ring in here a moment with some things to consider.

We recently installed some cat bypass pipes from Cargraphic on a client's TT and they didn't come even CLOSE to fitting correctly. The flanges and angles were all wrong and we had to cut away all of the flanges, section & re-aim the pipes then reweld the flanges back on.

This operation consumed over a day at $ 70/hr and I cannot recommend to anyone that this is a great idea with these products. If I were doing this again, I'd build my own on the car in either 321 SS or Inconel. I've seen FVD stuff with the same fitment issues so Caveat Emptor on these things. If you have someone who can fabricate them for under $ 500, IMHO, thats a bargain, If the material is correct.

FWIW, we flow tested 100 cell cats against the stock 400 cell ones and they both flowed 354 cfm, right on the nose. Tough to justify at $ 2800/pr. Further, the 100 cell cats failed to catalyze the exhaust properly and the car threw "Check Engine" lights every 50-60 miles with codes from the secondary oxysensors. If you choose different cats, use the 200 cell ones.
Old 03-14-2003, 10:16 AM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 338 Likes on 234 Posts
The FVD cat bypass pipes that I had were made by either Bishop or Gillett? for FVD. I do not recall which I received, but the fit was perfect. There were no installation issues with the FVD product. I assisted in the install, so I know this as a matter of fact.
2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials SpeedTech Exhaust Videos facebook
Old 03-14-2003, 11:40 AM
ScottMellor
Drifting

I also "helped" (passed wrenches) during the install of my FVD's. They fit great.
Still no CEL one week later.
Old 03-14-2003, 03:23 PM
Rick in Portland
Addict
Rennlist Member

It sounds like Cargraphics and FVD may have more than one source for their bypass pipes. It's real frustrating when something like that doesn't fit.

Rick
<a href="http://www.993tt.com" target="_blank">www.993tt.com</a>
Old 03-24-2003, 03:53 AM
ruffy
Burning Brakes

it seems everyone is getting varied success in keeping the CEL light at bay.
what do i need to do to keep it away... without removing the other protective features from the ecu?
will i get a set of flames poping out at the track?

Quick Reply: Cat Bypasses Installed