Engine Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2003, 06:01 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts
Post Engine Oil Leak

Hello Gang;

I am looking at buying a 1996 993 Turbo from a Porsche dealer. I had them do a pre purchase inspection with me right there with their mechanic (I realize the bias issue here). I am pretty knowledgeable on these cars but this one has an oil leak at the front of the engine (bottom) near the main pulley area ( front main seal?). After test driving the car (which went well) I did smell some oil in the engine area while the car was stopped and idling. The oil from the area I described, is probably landing on the exhaust.

The mechanic said this was unusual as he hadn't seen many of these engines leak at that location. I have worked on several normally aspirated 993 engines and I don't remember seeing any leaks there.

The car is a one owner, stock, has 41,000 miles, and excellent cosmetics but I don't know how well the owner maintained the mechanicals. I plan on getting more first hand opinions on this leak and then having a cylinder compression test. I will also try to contact the owner.

Opinions and suggestions please.
Old 03-10-2003, 12:41 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The motor mount actually is the sump for the turbos. The pump sits in the middle and drives off of the intermediate shaft then returned to the case. I have seen cases where it was leaking from the oring that inserts into the case both at the return and the intermediate oring seal. It could be the crank seal, but I doubt it. The others are small Orings that get hard with time. Not a small job as the cats, mufflers and motor mount must be removed to access it.
Old 03-10-2003, 12:46 AM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
It would seem that you would have plenty of negotiating power with this dealer. Insist that he provide you with a 1 year powertrain warranty to cover the discovered, and possibly any undiscovered issues. He may also be willing to perform the 45,000 mile service at no charge to you, and fix the oil leak at the same time. Make sure you get fresh belts, plugs, or whatever the car may possibly need at that time.

Discovering this oil leak may actually work in your favor.
Old 03-10-2003, 11:31 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts
Thank you for the advice. The complexity of this fine model requires a lot of effort on the part of the buyer. As we know pre purchase inspections for this model aren't cheap or easy.

Based on my own market research and inspection of this particular car, I offered the dealer 10% less than their asking price before I even started the initial PPI. They agreed to my price and I proceeded with the purchase which was contingent on the results of the PPI and a cylinder compression test (or possibly a leak down test). We didn't have time for the engine tests the first day so I had planned on doing those this week (events took place this past Saturday). The salesman I was working with understood this and agreed to take a deposit.

After calmly discussing the results, the sales manager got aggravated and said the deal was for that day only. I don't know why he did this but I wasn't going to be forced into a new 'one day only' deal. Maybe I was too knowledgeable and they figured it would be better to gamble on another buyer.

As I don't have the complete maintenance history I am trying to find the last owner. The Porsche dealers who have worked on the car won't help me with that information.

Quick Reply: Engine Oil Leak