Sponsored by:

Vasek Polak 993TT

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2003, 05:06 PM
J-McDonald
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Vasek Polak 993TT

Supposedly the car that Vasek Polak crashed (he died as a result of his injuries sustained in that crash):

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10156&item=2400570600" target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10156&item=2400570600 </a>
Old 01-20-2003, 05:34 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

So if both you and the eBay listing are correct, he drove the car 40 miles and then killed himself by crashing it? Can't say that is a car I would want to own.
Old 01-20-2003, 07:17 PM
TrackMan
Advanced

"While taking delivery, the 83 year old Vasek Polak was involved in an accident only 40 miles from the factory. Rather than repairing the car, it was sent back to Porsche; a brand new body was installed bringing this car back to perfection and new car specs."

I hope they cleaned up the interior as well.
Old 01-20-2003, 07:20 PM
mb97tts
Racer

Vasek crashed in a Twin Turbo S, that was my understanding.

marty
Old 01-20-2003, 08:01 PM
Mark in Hermosa
Burning Brakes

I believe you are correct:
Polak died in 1997 at age 82. A month before his death, he crashed the Porsche 911 Turbo S (billed as the most powerful in Porsche's turbo line at the time) he was driving at speeds of more than 110 miles per hour on the German Autobahn. He was traveling from Prague where he was exploring the idea of establishing a breast diagnostic center in his native Czech Republic. Polak broke both arms and legs in the accident, but allegedly suffered no internal injuries and was expected to make a full recovery.

After his condition stabilized, Polak insisted on returning to Southern California to continue his treatment at Torrance Memorial Medical Center. Unfortunately, his wish went unfulfilled, as he died on April 17, 1997, en route to the medical center. The cabin of the Lear jet on which he was traveling had been converted into an intensive care unit. It had landed in Great Falls, Montana for refueling when Polak suddenly went into cardiac arrest and died.
Old 01-23-2003, 05:58 AM
Cary
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mark, I believe that's what the news paper said however, just days before Vasek was to be transported back to California I received a phone call from a very dear friend that was at the hostpital in Germany at the time. I had heard the rumor that Vasek was insisting on being returned so, I asked if that was ture. The response was absolutely NOT. He went on to explain that Vasek was in a state were he unable to speak and drifting in and out at the time. Prior to that when he was talking he had expressed NO wishes at any time to return until he was better. It seems the powers that became in control when Vasek entered this state became his decision makers. This decision maker was the one insisting he be returned to California claiming it was Vasek's wish and AGAINST the Doctors advice. In fact, I was told at that time the doctors felt certain he could not and would not survive such a trip. Two days later, I received another call ... the decision to have him returned was made and unfortunately the doctors were correct, he did not survive.

Read what you will but, be assured, Vasek Polak Sr. knew he was in the best medical care possible and NEVER insisted on being returned to California.
Old 01-23-2003, 08:28 PM
Mark in Hermosa
Burning Brakes

Cary:

Thanks a lot for the clarification. I put "believe" on my post, because I do not know firsthand. Perhaps I should have put a source on that tidbit (Torrance Memorial Hosp.) as well. Either way, sad.

Again, thanks for the clarification.
Old 01-23-2003, 11:05 PM
Cary
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No problem, it's one of those things I happened to be very close to when it was happening. It's easy to see how wires get cross and history gets recorded differently. However, this is the way I saw it and heard it happening at the time and believe it to be 100% accurate .... but who knows if any of us will ever really know for sure.
Old 08-26-2023, 02:06 PM
skater1100hp
1st Gear

I bought that car ,, and it was perfect, Schmidt sales St Louis , Mo

bright it back to colorado

What a Car!!!!
Old 08-27-2023, 08:39 AM
CGT000
Burning Brakes

Received 111 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by skater1100hp