Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil in bypass valves

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006 | 02:14 PM
johnneurauter
Rennlist Member

Question Oil in bypass valves

Finally getting around to popping in a set of new diverter valves that have been sitting in the uninstalled parts pile and was wondering if a little oil on those is normal. Or would now be a good time to pull the turbo inlet pipes and check for oil there? If so, do I pull that at the turbo side to have a look see?

Background info here too, CEL is on throwing a catalyst inefficiency code on bank 1, replaced o2 sensors hoping for an easy fix, still throwing the code. Probably need cats from Kevin, but if the cats are toast due to oil burn I don't want to waste my new ones.

Oil consumption is low and I don't have any noticeable burn issues though, so a bit perplexing there. And of course I'd take the excuse to just jump on a stage1 kit from kevin but don't want to cruise that slope any faster than necessary.
Old 10-19-2006 | 02:39 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Pull the inlet duct to the turbochargers. Not the pressure hoses to the intercooler.. If you have oil in your Bypass valves, it will be in the oil inlet pipes.. Check your oil level and oil filter first..
Old 10-20-2006 | 12:56 AM
johnneurauter
Rennlist Member

It was just the tiniest bit of oil in the bypass valve. Pulled the inlet duct to the right side turbo (it was the right side diverter that had the little oil in it) and it was nice and dry in there. Didn't look into the left one as there was no hint of oil in that diverter, oh, and of course after wrestling that duct back on on the right side.

Oil level is good, lower third of the range on the stick. Have to check the filter, but I think it's the porsche one.

I plugged in the new throttle position sensor and buttoned everything up. I'll drive a bit and see if the code clears. But I'm not thinking that the tps s going to do it, but I'll hope. If it doesn't clear then I guess it's time to change the cats.

Thanks as always for the helpful info Kevin.

Quick Reply: Oil in bypass valves