Sponsored by:

3rd brake light not working

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 03:58 PM
rinlv1
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3rd brake light not working

i've read the p-car diy and took the light out and tried the unit on 12v. The light works fine, so it's not the bulbs. i guess something is wrong with my harness. The p-car diy talks about soldering that may have detached but my 97 model does not have any soldering.

Anyone who has run into this problem know of an easy fix or solution, please shed some light. Thanks a million..
Old 10-08-2006, 04:53 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

There was a post not too long ago about a break in the harness near the rear window that can be repaired by pulling the wire through and splicing it. Try a search about rear brake light, or perhaps someone can provide a link. I just found the fix, it is on that diy item that you checked, but click on the link for Gert's wiring fix.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:27 AM
mkozink
Rennlist Member

I just repaired mine. Based on the fact that you tested the light bar to make certain bulbs are working it is probably the connection (solder joint or broken wire) between third light and rear glass). While it is pretty straight forward to remedy it is not "easy" in the sense that you have to repair the connection in an awkward position. If you can do it without removing the rear galss you are ahead of the game. I am told the rear glass is tricky to remove and can be quite fragile.

I used the P-car site as my reference. Here is a link to my post on the subject (there are numerous others);

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turbo-forum/294059-third-brake-light-repair.html

The guidance I received is just one more example of how supportive the P-car community is (more people responded to the cross post in the 993 section) and what makes this the best automotive forum I use.

Quick Reply: 3rd brake light not working