Sponsored by:

Spearco cores

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 01:30 PM
Jussi
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spearco cores

Does anyone have informations about these Spearco cores?
I have thinking to swap original cores to model 2-172s.
It's dimensions are 3.5"Dx10.4"Wx10.5"H and hp rating 675.
(http://www.turboneticsinc.com/ic_cores.htm)
Original core dimensions are 2.5"x10.5"x10.5" so these new ones are same except they are 1 inch thicker. I would use original inlet and outlet tanks.
Are these cores good/best values for money when going over 600 horses?
TB993tt has said so much negative comments from FVD/Cargraphic/TTP ICs, so they are not my choice, and either too expensive Secan ones.
This Spearco update would cost under $2k.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:45 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have used a number of Spearco cores in a variety of turbo applications and I like the performance and the price. In the end, I'm concerned with the outlet temp (IAT) and the pressure drop across the intercooler and in my opinion, the Spearco cores work sufficiently. I'm not sure the TB has provided any detailed information with hard data from an engine dyno, chassis dyno, track or road test, or ECU logged data that supports that the FVD/Cargraphic/TTP intercooler will lose power compared with the stock intercooler. If so, I apologize for missing it. I have tuned one 3.8l engine with it installed and it had lower temps than the orignially equipped stock intercooler.

I don't see any issues with your approach, especially when using the stock end tanks modified appropriately to work with the 1" thicker core. You should also be able to adapt the factory gasket to the new intercooler which will help force the air through the intercooler. One of the keys to intercooler performance is the end tank design to properly direct the air through all of the core rather than concentrating it on one side of the core as will happen with a square end tank design.
Old 09-27-2006, 02:34 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Firstly I was told by RS that the TTP/CG V type I/c doesn't work better than stock they knew 'cos they had tested it. Knowing better than them I bought one anyway 'cos the nice guy at TTP said the end tanks were better and it flowed more air etc etc........

I tested this I/C myself compared to the stock one. It was a simple but reliable test IMO.
Done within 2hours on the same day so the climate remained virtually identical, I drove at a set speed (from memory it was 100mph) until the inlet temperature (after the intercooler measured on the Andial before/after gauge) stabilised.

The air coming from the turbos at 100mph was just about in positive boost at maybe 0.05bar, so not really hot, but gave the I/C something to do.

I called at the workshop and swapped to the stock I/C and dd the exact test again.

I was quite shocked, the standard I/C cooled the air down to a number 5% lower than the TTP/CG intercooler (can't remember the actual numbers - its on here somewhere)

Now you could argue that under full bore the bigger I/C will flow better and cause less restriction so cool better etc etc etc......

The only published road test for a car using this intercooler is the TTP/Lotec 600hp 993tt weighing 1558kg which can be found here: http://www.einszweidrei.de/
it does 100-200kph in 8.1s
Checkout the 60-130 thread and you will see that Bill S with his 490hp Ruf Turbo R (probably more like 510 Porsche hp) does the 100-200kph in 7.9s this is with a standard intercooler.

Regardless, I can only provide the information which I consider reliable - you (obviously) do what you want - on balance the available evidence is against the Spearco cores producing any magic, having said that if Spearco 2006 core technology has moved on in the way Secan core technology has then they may be better than the stock 1995 design cores.
Old 09-27-2006, 02:48 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

On your test, did you also install the lid ducting so all of the air went through the intercooler or did you leave that part off, allowing air to escape around the cooler causing it to be less efficient?
Old 09-27-2006, 03:07 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
On your test, did you also install the lid ducting so all of the air went through the intercooler or did you leave that part off, allowing air to escape around the cooler causing it to be less efficient?
I used the shroud which came with the TTP I/C, I enhanced the TTP offering with rubber gaskets all round the edge to seal against the lid.
Geoffrey, you are not alone in believing the TTP I/C works, Micke Svens has one installed in the picture of his 609hp "street motor" on his site:http://www.spezialmotorer.com/start/top.html
They have sold loads of them with "satisfied" customers everwhere - but how many have actually bothered testing back to back ?
Leon S has a Sportec version (with apparently better cores, see this thread:https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...hlight=sportec) of the TTP V Flow I/C on his 993 Ruf turbo R boasting 558hp - we will shortly see how well it accelerates in the upcoming Vmax event.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:48 PM
AndyT
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So does anyone sell the intercooler already made up with the spearco cores? Or do you have to hack the end tanks off the OEM one and get a really good fabricator involved? The Secan intercoolers are beautys, but priced off the charts. Ridiculous actually is a better word !!!
Old 09-27-2006, 05:04 PM
Jussi
Pro

Protomotive Intercooler looks also very efficient:
http://www.geocities.com/protomotive..._twinturbo.htm
but does it fit under stock 993TT rear wing and does it need any mods for TB or else?
Old 09-27-2006, 05:34 PM
AndyT
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they run those on Motronic turbo conversion cars. so i doubt it fits our 993tt
Old 09-28-2006, 12:02 AM
Red9
Racer

TB or anyone-- do you have photos of Secan I/Cooler ? Are there different versions? What alternatives have factory offered? For road cars? Race cars?
Old 09-28-2006, 02:36 AM
Jussi
Pro

That Protomotive IC might be one choice to swapping spearco cores.

Can anyone who has this Protomotive IC send pictures how it sits under rear wing and is there room for original heat blower, throttle body and air filter box?
And how it performs, any measurements/facts about flow rates and/or temps?
Thanks!
Old 09-28-2006, 12:50 PM
Greg A
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Red9
TB or anyone-- do you have photos of Secan I/Cooler ? Are there different versions? What alternatives have factory offered? For road cars? Race cars?
I can't answer any of your other questions, but I do have these.

Greg A
Attached Images   
Old 09-28-2006, 01:42 PM
Jussi
Pro

At least one secret of famous Secan core is that it's fin structure is very dense as you can see from following pictures.
Thickness is 2.75" and width 14" and depth 15".
So maybe it is better to build new "super" intercooler with very large and dense cores instead of 3.5" thick cores..

Quick Reply: Spearco cores