Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Higher mileage/lower price vs mint/higher price decision???

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 06:50 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

lthatch,

I think a 993TT with only 50k miles for $52k is an outstanding buy. The upgrades sound perfect, and the track use... in my eye... is a positive... its only really hard on brakes and tires... and a few extra stone chips... but it would indicate that the owner took good care of the care to take it to the track. Do the PPI and then fly out for a great drive home.

Was the transmission rebuilt to stock? Why was a rebuild required? My car has 106k miles on the original gearbox, and it shifts like butter!
Old 09-25-2006, 08:02 PM
lthatch
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve, I was told that the transmission could not be (?down)shifted into 3rd, that, upon inspection, the synchros were damaged, and that it was rebuilt with "cryogenically hardened" European-sourced
parts. I don't believe that ratios were shortened. I have spoken with the mechanic that did the work; he sounds well-informed, helpful, and meticulous. I have reviewed the bill, and with parts and labor for the transmission, flywheel, clutch, and a major tune-up, it came to almost $12k. The current owner campaigns a vintage Alfa, so I would tend to believe that he is kind to his trannys. Perhaps in the excitement of being on the track, he missed a shift and damaged something?
Old 09-25-2006, 09:22 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 915 Likes on 551 Posts

Well, we can put a fork in this one guys. I spoke with "the" previous owner tonight (remember that this was supposed to be a two owner car) after getting his name and number from an old service document and he told me that he was the third owner of the car. He also told me that a ladder dropped on the right front fender and he had that repaired and that the owner before him had paint work done to the door and rear quarter panel! The work was well done and is very difficult to see according to him. I truly believe that the current owner knew nothing of the history of the car...

Quick Reply: Higher mileage/lower price vs mint/higher price decision???