Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I buy a RUF Turbo 'R' - or a stock 993 and upgrade it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 10:55 PM
Ima2nr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I buy a RUF Turbo 'R' - or a stock 993 and upgrade it?

I can buy a 33k mile turbo 'R' -converted in the factory in '95 (new)
cost =105k

I cannot add pictures becaust i'm not a member yet, but can eail pictures to some one that can post....

I copied this from the docs with the car....

" Thanks for showing interest in the ad. I am a 30 year member of PCA and past President of the Germany Region - PCA. This car started as a custom ordered U.S. specification '96 Turbo I had built by Porsche while I was living in Germany. It was built in September of '95 and is (was) my 9th new 911. Through factory connections I was privileged to watch it go down the assembly line. Alois & Estonia Ruf are close personal friends of mine. Until I returned to the states in the fall of '03 I ran their annual PCA - Germany sponsored factory open house for many years. The car was converted by Alois in Pfaffenhausen over a period of a year or so as he developed and tested new modifications.
The options the car came with from Porsche include: Digital Sound; Turbo Script Delete; Sport Seats; Dark Rootwood Shift ****; Porsche Badge Embossed Head Rests; Dove Grey Instrument Faces with Matching Color Sport Seat Backs (a 1st according the then exklusiv shop manager). The colors are black/black/black. It has never been wrecked or damaged. The only problems have been a front oil cooler leak and rear upper brake light short both fixed under warranty by Porsche at Werk I in Zuffenhausen.
The Ruf Turbo R mods include the entire Ruf CTR chassis (sway bars; springs, shocks, ride height etc.); 19 inch Ruf wheels; Porsche GT -1 brake system; CTR front and rear bumper valences; Ruf front oil cooler and a one-of-a-kind Ruf dual center exhaust system normally only used on a Ruf CTR. Ruf engine mods include Ruf turbo chargers, cam shafts, induction system and Motronic. The engine produced a tad over 529 Ruf HP on the Ruf Dyno...I observed this test and Alois even signed the Dyno sheet for me. The car currently has 33,XXX miles, 75% of which are Autobahn.
The car has only been serviced at Werk I in Zuffenhausen or Ruf in Pfaffenhausen. I had the car cosmetically refurbished by Alois in Pfaffenhausen prior to its shipment here a year ago. He repainted the front hood, nose piece and mirrors; replaced the battery with a new one; replaced the windshield (eliminating the dreaded 993 windshield squeak); and did an annual on the motor. At this time Alois also replaced the magnesium wheels with new aluminum ones because we had detected some surface cracks in the old ones.
It is a multiple concours winner...Best of Show and People's Choice at the last outing in Germany. It is blindly fast, easy to drive and by far the most beautiful Porsche I have ever seen. While he was visiting Alois in Germany Bruce Anderson called it one of the best he has seen. Of course, I might be a little biased. I am selling because I am ready for another Porsche project.

JB"

-OR-

I can buy a stock 993tt '96 (arena red, complete carbon pkg, sport seats, H&R struts/springs, and aftermarket exhaust... (66k miles, US version car)
cost 53k + 2k shipping and a 'train' load of paperwork to get it out of Canada
(note... this car was registered in Pompano Beachg Florida until 03-2006)

I will spend 7k immediately on wheels and tires, and 20k to 'upgrade' the car to 550+ HP (turbos, ECU, full custom exhaust, oil cooler, intercooler, etc = supposed 580-600 hp (93 octane pump gas))
(down time 2-3 months?)

plus who know what else I will want to do to the car?!?

53k + 2k shipping + 7k wheels + 20k upgrades = 82k
and 1 month to shipp from canada + 2 months to upgrade?

OK--- save 20k and have a (faster? more miles? no pedgree?) arena red car?

or just spend the dough, get the black RUF and go have some fun?

will the RUF be as fast as a "tuner car"? or a dissapointment?

thanks for the advice... I have to decide quick or I'm gonna go crazy looking for a car.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:12 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

The price on the Ruf seems way too high for a conversion car(no Ruf serial #) or even a real Ruf car. I would guess it will finally sell for much less than $105K. If you really like the car, patience could save you $20-25K. How about driving the other one for a while after purchase, you may find that it works fine for you without pricey mods.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:19 PM
sfbanchs
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

go for the ruf it will hold its value better over time hence it selling for over 100k and a 10 year old car. no downtime and you have a genuine ruf, many would kill for a genuine ruf 993TT. If resale value is of no concern as is for me then buy the stock TT and modify it yourself. Mine was stock and i did a stage 3 upgrade with evo motorsports for about 520hp. i noticed you talking 550+hp, keep in mind you cant do this with turbos exhaust and ecu remapping alone, the most you'll get there is 520 hp but to cross that hump to 550+you will have to open the engine do the cams and possibly a 3.8 litre conversion. This will greatly diminish the resale potential and second hand buyers ususally will not want to buy a car that has had the engine opened as you will have to do. If i were you and i decided to buy the stock TT i would do all the possible modifications without opening the engine, and keep all original parts, turbos, exhaust intercoolers, etc..who knows the next buyer might want all original parts. thats what i did. But in your situation if i had the money i'd buy the ruf turbo R

Best of luck

please post pics when yo u can
Old 09-21-2006, 11:32 PM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

JB,

Email me the pics of the Turbo R and I'll get them up for you. Check your PM for my email address.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:37 PM
Woodster
Drifting

Remember that many of us (me included) paid 65 to 80 for a nice 993TT
and poured 10-30k in mods into it.
do the math and make a deal on the RuF if it is a nice one.
Unless you can fight off the mod bug forever. If so, buy a clean "stocker"

My 2 cents (or $85,000)

MK
Old 09-21-2006, 11:55 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Smile

Ima2nr,

I think I already have pictures of the Ruf Turbo R. Its absolutely fantastic. I would say to consider the price to duplicate this car... roughly $65k to $70k for a nice 33k mile 993TT, and roughly $65k for the Ruf bits. Thats $135k to $140k. $105 doesn't sound all that bad.

There are nitpickers that say its not a "real" Ruf because it doesn't have the Ruf vin. Having that Ruf vin would probably add another $50k to the price. Its plenty enough of a real Ruf car for me. I love it.
Attached Images     

Last edited by ca993twin; 09-22-2006 at 12:51 AM.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:16 AM
rinlv1
Rennlist Member

With all that history i don't know if i would drive it everyday...
I would get a high mileage 993tt and send it to Promotive for makeover if it's HP you r after.

Steve, do u have center pipes?
Old 09-22-2006, 12:22 AM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

I have never seen a center exhaust like that on any Ruf Turbo R. I think its very, very cool.

Clearly, I'm biased.... I'd go for that Ruf Turbo R in a heartbeat.
Old 09-22-2006, 01:06 AM
Ima2nr
Instructor

STEVE---

what does you car do in the 60-130 speed test? should this car be the same? those are the pics of the car, and I sent AIR KUUL TT several other shots...

I cannot have a garage queen, I'd just buy the poster if I could, but the machines are like a drug --I cannot break my addiction...
in the lst 3 years I've had a:

Ferrari F355 ------I loved the body- a perfect 10 -incredible sound, average acceleration... I totaled this car. 27k miles in a year. $$$ maintenance

'95 Prototech 993 C4S tt conversion 550hp --- the **** you love to sleep with... i'll never forget the brutal acceleration (motorcycle fast)... I sold it i two months later because (I got a speeding ticket, and 1 week later I got a RACING ticket- BTW... I was the only car on the road) I was afraid I was a "target" with the local police. i had it 2 months - 1 word = REGRET -- gas and oil change, dirt cheap maintenace.

Lamborghini Gallardo --- 2005 - upgraded Kreissig straight exhaust w/ electric cutouts, no cats... 442 hp dyno'd on an all wheel dyno. TRUE F1 sound, this was the best 'overall' car (looks, sound, acceleration) kept it 1 year and 3 days exactly... 15k miles on the clock - still wishing I had the '****' I broke up with over a year ago... good acceleration (decievingly fast)

so here I am, back for the 'Porsche' love affair... I will drive the car 20k miles a year, maybe more... we have "318 corners in 11 miles" right in my back yard... and I drive all of my cars there at leat 3-4 times a year the dragon at deals gap

I am the guy seen frequently in the N.E. Ga mountains in the orange Gallardo, I used to take the red F355 up there with my buddy in his red '04 Lotus twin turbo (he made a ton of video's absolutely killing my Ferrari in the turns) (I admit he was a better driver, to the point of being crazy)

Is this the car to "drive" or just to keep the neighbor jelous?

sorry for the long post...

Last edited by Ima2nr; 09-22-2006 at 01:09 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-22-2006, 01:18 AM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

I'm the wrong guy to ask about actually driving these things, my Ruf Turbo R has only 105k miles. Sure... it knocks down the value for resale. And after you've put 150k miles on the conversion, the car may need a freshening... you're nice and close to Ruf Dallas, however, so no big deal.

This car compares nicely to that speed yellow Turbo R at Dallas... they're asking $145k for that car. It has a few more Ruf goodies than this one. Personally, I don't care for black cars... its not the way they look... the maintenace. But gadzooks... this car is FABULOUS. And I love that center exhaust. Hmmmmmmm.

I don't know the 60-130 time on my car. I'm a bit paranoid about being arrested.
Old 09-22-2006, 01:40 AM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Here are more pics of the Turbo R RUF. Enjoy... she's a beauty.

Old 09-22-2006, 01:42 AM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

more pix...

I just drooled all over my keyboard... Enjoy.
Old 09-22-2006, 01:48 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Ima2nr,

What a car! This car has similar history as mine. U.S. spec. 993 with RUF conversion in Phaffenhausen. PO is a close friend of Alois as well. But mine is just a humble BTR.

I would not consider the Turbo-R unreasonably-priced if it is still pristine. The mileage is certainly low enough. One caution will be under-carriage rust. May be your PO had multiple cars so he did not drive his car in the winter there. Mine drove the BTR year round and there was extensive rust under the car. A regular PPI may not pick that up. So please learn from my experience.

You can buy a regular turbo any day. But a Turbo-R is rare as a hen's tooth. If you appreciate such cars, and pass on it, you may never find another one again. Just for the remorse factor alone, it will be worth serious consideration. I know that if I passed on my car back in 2003, I would have been a miserable soul for the last 3 years.

CP
Old 09-22-2006, 01:59 AM
Ima2nr
Instructor

I'll be sure to check the under carrage out....

OFFER --- IF YOU LIVE IN ATLANTA GA, WANT TO FLY TO TEXAS THIS WEEKEND, AND CO PILOT THE RUF BACK TO GEORGIA. THE AIR FARE & FOOD IS ON ME... YOU HAVE TO PAY THE PRICE WITH YOUR WIFE...

(this is based on I can get the flight schedulded friday for a logical saturday or sunday pick up, and that is if the dealer will do it on such short notice, I WILL CALL 1ST THING IN THE AM) if not I will have to do it next weekend...)
Old 09-22-2006, 02:34 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Ima2nr
I
OFFER --- IF YOU LIVE IN ATLANTA GA, WANT TO FLY TO TEXAS THIS WEEKEND, AND CO PILOT THE RUF BACK TO GEORGIA. THE AIR FARE & FOOD IS ON ME...
I live on the wrong coast.

CP

Quick Reply: Do I buy a RUF Turbo 'R' - or a stock 993 and upgrade it?