Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How are higher mileage 993 turbo's performing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006 | 07:46 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Sports seats are highly prized (folks willing to spend $3500+ to get a nice pair), even though it was either a no-cost or very low cost option when the car was ordered. I don't know about the weight, but they are a more supportive seat, and very fine looking. The large C/F package was about a $5k option. The alum dials are more really nice "eye candy". Rear seat delete was a no-cost option but fairly rare, therefore prized. Even more so is the sunroof-delete, this car has the sunroof, but FYI, the rarity makes it nice. Also the lighter weight and additional headroom are valued. If this car has no serious issues, it is a great deal. And trust me... 66K miles is barely broken in.
Old 09-17-2006 | 08:58 PM
Ima2nr
Instructor

i have called the owner to setup a pre purchase inspection, and I am waiting to hear back from Kevin (ultimate motor werks) about the packages that i can do to this thing...

is stage three too much for this old girl (540-580 hp) i want to just bolt it on and go, not rebuild the entire engine...
Old 09-17-2006 | 09:40 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Kevin is the best source for that advice... a lot will have to do with the octane of the fuel you can get/are willing to use. My advice, howver, is start gathering the information, but spend a little time with your car just to get better acquainted. Even dead stock, they go like scalded cat poop. My plan with Waldo (my near stock 993TT) was to upgrade it as things wore out. Others are a bit more impatient than I.
Old 09-17-2006 | 11:17 PM
msw
Racer

(copied from 993 board)

97 turbo with 181K miles...

Roland,

You can believe it. I bought the car in July of 98 from a pp in LA when it had about 4K miles on it. It has been my daily driver since then; live in (San Francisco) and commute to pennisula everyday. It goes everywhere and does everything.

As I said, original clutch, rotors, pads, turbos. Car came with ROW springs, techart steering wheel, custom painted gauges, TechFx sport exhaust, front protection bar, and radar. Aluminum package, seat crests were options.

Items that went:
1. collapsed hydraulic lifter around 40K; again at 90K (same side, told wrong part used by first shop)
2. signal tree
3. new windshield (too much glitter)
4. new slave cylinder and accumulator
5. new rear wiper (broke off when cleaning)
6. one new rear hollow twist - bent
7. fuel pump
8. bilstein HD - at 80K and again at 140K
9. rear tires originally only got 4-6K miles (very sensitive to psi); had rear end aligned for 'tire wear' at Custom Alignment in Moutain View - now get 18-20K on rears
10. oil bellows filler tube - cracked over time
11. at 180K service - new power steering hose (leaking); replace clutch booster hose; faulty ac blower resistor
12. rear bumper replaced/resprayed twice (rear ended by cab in city twice...only gouged the cover both times)
13. front bumper replaced/resprayed...metal object put a hole through it doing about 80mph on freeway...

Still have the original seller's info...thought it might be fun to give him an 'update' on the car; decided to do it when it hits 200K. Hope I make it
Old 09-18-2006 | 11:29 AM
higginsbeach
Advanced

Default Hey MSW

That is friggin amazing. I hope you also make it to 200K. This is the first I have heard of a 150K+ mile turbo. Has anyone else out there heard of 150K+ TURBO's?

Your cost to operate that car has been relatively inexpensive. The slave and accumulator are presistent themes with these vehicles but to be on the original clutch, especially in SF, is beyond me.

When you got the new windshield replaced, did the squeeking go away?? Hey if you have piks, do you mind posting them.

Roland
Old 09-18-2006 | 12:26 PM
msw
Racer

Roland,

I had no sqeaks w/ windshield...UNTIL I had it replaced; replaced because it was pitted. I have used ?Pedro's ice wax? to help; doen't really bother me cause the radio is usually on and/or window is down.

Current windshield is pretty pitted on top of a small crack when road debris flew up...probably going to replace soon.

Will try to get some pictures and figure out how to upload...just gotta get the time
Old 09-18-2006 | 12:51 PM
msw
Racer

Roland,

I had no sqeaks w/ windshield...UNTIL I had it replaced; replaced because it was pitted. I have used ?Pedro's ice wax? to help; doen't really bother me cause the radio is usually on and/or window is down.

Current windshield is pretty pitted on top of a small crack when road debris flew up...probably going to replace soon.

Will try to get some pictures and figure out how to upload...just gotta get the time
Old 09-18-2006 | 01:10 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Getting a clutch to last like msw's is a testament to the skill of the driver. That, plus mostly hiway miles, can produce amazing results. msw: My hat's off and my beer mug is raised in your general direction! Now go put some damn miles on that garage queen!
Old 09-18-2006 | 02:25 PM
msw
Racer

Thanks Steve...but I think it has mostly to do with highway miles and getting a car that was built on a Monday
Old 09-21-2006 | 05:54 PM
jmcd33
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ca993twin
Getting a clutch to last like msw's is a testament to the skill of the driver. That, plus mostly hiway miles, can produce amazing results. msw: My hat's off and my beer mug is raised in your general direction! Now go put some damn miles on that garage queen!
I guess I lack skill then.... I am on my second tranny job in 6 months. I destroyed 3rd gear last time racing a saleen (I put it in 3rd instead of 5th, whoops). This time it is worse, 3rd and 4th are gone... my shop is searching the country for a full transmission... Anyone know of one? BTW my car has 120K+ miles on it.
Old 09-21-2006 | 06:10 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

jmcd33,

I hope that Saleen was an S7, and not a Mustang!!!!

Without offerring any concrete data, I'd take this as an "opportunity" to regear your box, and use steel synchros to make it pretty bulletproof. My thoughts are that a 993TT generally can use a taller 1st and 2nd, and depending upon your mods, a taller 6th gear to do some cruising at 200+.

One last thought... RS engine mounts make the transmission shift a bit more smoothly (keeps it from moving around under torque, so the shift rods are better aligned.) The RS tranny mount is also good, but a little harsh for a street car (I've heard it said... no direct experience).
Old 09-21-2006 | 06:50 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

jmc, I have a good 993TT tranny sitting on a shelf.. It belongs to a well known Rennlister.... He should see this post shortly, and respond..

Kevin
Old 09-22-2006 | 09:36 PM
Gordon Attar
Instructor

Dear Urban and MeGATRON
Its a LHD, just happened to be in the right place at the right time when a trader was having it repaired at Northways and he wanted rid off as he had been trying to sell it for 6 months and was struggling due to the Boxster red interior.
I will never be in your league (£'s) Urban, but will be more than happy with mine until I win the lottery
Old 09-24-2006 | 12:02 PM
jmcd33
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Kevin
jmc, I have a good 993TT tranny sitting on a shelf.. It belongs to a well known Rennlister.... He should see this post shortly, and respond..

Kevin

Im interested in that tranny. How can I obtain it?

Quick Reply: How are higher mileage 993 turbo's performing?