Sponsored by:

My Quandry.............

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 11:09 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default My Quandry.............

As some of you boys know, I've been going back and forth with a collegue of mine about buying his '97 993TT. As of a couple of months ago he still wasn't sure what he wanted or even if he wanted to sell it at all. So I did the next sane thing, put an order down on a 997TT. I planned to lease it as my DD,as I did with my C4S, end of story, right?
Recently he asked if I still wanted the car and shot me a brother-in-law deal of a price, too low to even print here. The car is a '97, blk/blk, 40k miles, no garage queen, top end rebuild last year at the 40k service, all stock. Should I just jump on this car, I've always wanted a 993TT, I remember the day he bought it in '97, I know the car well. Seriously thinking about jumping on this and just leasing a pepper as a DD.
What do you guys think?
What potential problems with a car with those miles, if any?
What to do???
TIA
Old 09-12-2006, 11:20 AM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Chris,

Main question is, do you want the brutal force of a 993 TT or the nice smooth VTG power from a 997TT?
A blk/blk car with 40k miles for a "very good price" will give you the money back when you sell it and also support from probably the best board on Rennlist..
The interest of the money between the 997TT and the 993TT will also probably pay for the miles you put on the 993TT. So I suggest you go for the 993TT.

As always, a good PPI is recommended. Regarding quality, I had two 993's with 80k and 55k miles and they have rewarded me with great pleasure and almost no issues at all. (No expensive ones).

You also have the major advantage of knowing this car and its history. The disadvantage would be that you buy it from a collegue of yours and it would be a sad thing if you ended up in a dispute about the car.

But over all, a nice priced 993TT - I'd go for it!
Old 09-12-2006, 12:33 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Brutal power is right, I test drove one for a guy recently and it made my C4S look like a caddy!
I may just jump in with both feet, as it would just be my toy anyway with another car as a DD.
Thanks
CH
Old 09-12-2006, 12:37 PM
PierreTT
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 64 Posts

Chris,
Different cars to me. The 993TT will loose a lot less value over time too (I think). For the same amount of $$ you can almost keep the C4S as a DD and have the 993TT for weekends...
Pierre
Old 09-12-2006, 12:42 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Two 911's, then my wife would shoot me.
Old 09-12-2006, 01:43 PM
Woodster
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do??

Chris,
factor in the depreciation on a new Porsche

Maybe if you lease it, it doesnt matter. However new Porsches are even
more brutal than used Porsches on the pocket book.

993TT are truly a great experience, and have all the "older Porsche
nuances" to go with it. I do not know what to tell you other than to
think it through and dont get too emotional.

Marty K
Old 09-12-2006, 02:24 PM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Quite a quandry. I'd say buy the 993TT. If you get sick of it, you can always buy a 997TT later. They will be plentiful in a couple of years. The 993TT will not be as reliable as the 997TT, but you will have almost $100K with which to fix it.

Greg H.
Old 09-12-2006, 03:59 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

It depends on what you value in a car. The 997tt is faster than the 993tt. But it's much more civilized and cushy as well. If you like raw, tactile response in your fun car, the 993tt wins hands down. If it is a daily driver, the 997tt is more forgiving.

I will take the 993tt in a heart beat. The price differential will buy you a Cayman S as a daily driver.

Good luck.

CP
Old 09-12-2006, 06:35 PM
Berkley
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buy the 993 TT

Drive it until your 997 TT arrives.......you simply need a hands on tutorial on the 993 TT.....sell it, keep it or get both and a secret garage for one or the other
Old 09-12-2006, 10:51 PM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Chris

Do it. I know the C4S and teh TT. You will have a blast and if the top was rebuilt to fix the issues we spoke about B4 then you are good to go. Change all teh fluids right away though (diff, tranny etc.)

Shoot me an email
Old 09-13-2006, 09:00 AM
midcont
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 32 Posts

Chris,
Buy the 993TT before you miss the oportunity. Great 993tt's dont come around so much. If you ever end up wanting a 997tt in a few years (or a few months), they will be a lot easier to find. Not so if the situation was reversed.
It sounds like you have had your eye on this car for years and now that the opportunity presents itself you are having doubt? Go with your initial instinct.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:13 AM
PierreTT
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 64 Posts
Default For the TWO 911 strategy...

Chris!!

I don't own two 911 but I changed car so often in my life that I developed some very special skills handling the wife objections... Try these lines!!

You: "Honey, I decided to change my mind on the new 997TT... I'm tired to burn so much money with fast depreciating assets"
She thinks: "Humm... sounds suspect but sounds reasonable too..."
You: "...So, instead of buying a new one, I'll buy Joe's one. It is nice, I know the car and I have a real deal. The good thing is 993TT prices are pretty stable now..."
She will think: "Sounds too good to me..."
You: " And I will find a reasonable daily driver/winter beater"
She will say: "Wow, you are getting mature!!"

She will be happy and will take good care of you for a few days... You then buy the 993TT.

A few weeks after you say:

"You know honey, I made the maths and the C4s already took the big depreciation hit and for the same price, I will end up in a dull car that will also depreciate very fast. I think the best financial move is just keeping the C4S as the DD."

She will then realize that you got her but 2 days after, it will be over and you will endup with TWO 911s!!

Pierre
(Needless to say that it is more easy said than done)
Old 09-13-2006, 09:56 AM
Rassel
Drifting

Originally Posted by PierreTT
Chris!!

I don't own two 911 but I changed car so often in my life that I developed some very special skills handling the wife objections... Try these lines!!

You: "Honey, I decided to change my mind on the new 997TT... I'm tired to burn so much money with fast depreciating assets"
She thinks: "Humm... sounds suspect but sounds reasonable too..."
You: "...So, instead of buying a new one, I'll buy Joe's one. It is nice, I know the car and I have a real deal. The good thing is 993TT prices are pretty stable now..."
She will think: "Sounds too good to me..."
You: " And I will find a reasonable daily driver/winter beater"
She will say: "Wow, you are getting mature!!"

She will be happy and will take good care of you for a few days... You then buy the 993TT.

A few weeks after you say:

"You know honey, I made the maths and the C4s already took the big depreciation hit and for the same price, I will end up in a dull car that will also depreciate very fast. I think the best financial move is just keeping the C4S as the DD."

She will then realize that you got her but 2 days after, it will be over and you will endup with TWO 911s!!

Pierre
(Needless to say that it is more easy said than done)
I'm taking notes here...
Old 09-13-2006, 11:25 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Pierre, that's classic.
My only hesitation is that I truely enjoy driving a 911 everyday, it's really the best two hrs of the day. I know I couldn't really use the 993TT as a DD, not sure I want to do the daily grind in a suv(even a porsche).
Tim, there were a few minor issues that have yet to be resolved, but not deal breakers by any stretch.
Thanks guys, will keep you informed, if I don't buy it I'll pass the info along.
CH
Old 09-13-2006, 11:37 AM
RaceCarDriver
Rennlist Member

go for the 993tt. You can always sell it a year down the line, get all your money back (hopefully) and get a 997tt when all the hoopla dies down. Of course, it you love having the 993tt you can keep it much longer.

If you buy the 997tt, you miss the chance on getting a 993tt for a great price, and you know the owner, condition, etc. You can always but a 997tt at a later date.

Quick Reply: My Quandry.............