Sponsored by:

Rough running, P1501 DTC

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 06:31 PM
jmayzurk
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough running, P1501 DTC

Last weekend I had my '97 993TT out for a fun drive when it began sputtering (severe misfiring, no power) and then died a few seconds later. I immediately restarted the car and it ran fine. I knew this was an ominous sign, but decided I would wait for the problem to reoccur before investigating further.

I didn't have to wait long. Today I took the car out for some short errands. It started up normally and ran fine leaving the house. I went into a store for about 15 minutes, and then tried to restart the car. It was hard to start, but eventually started, and ran like it was on 3 cylinders--I could keep it running with some throttle, but otherwise it wouldn't idle.

So I shut it off, restarted again...same thing. Repeat three times. On the final try it started up normally and ran fine for another 30 minutes (full boost, everything normal).

Then as I was cruising on the freeway, the CEL came on. I hooked up my OBD-II scanner when I got home and found P1501, "fuel pump relay final stage short to ground."

I replaced the DME relay with no change: Once the car is warm, it's hard to start and then runs rough. But if you restart it four or five times in a row, eventually it will start and run normally.

My fuel filter was replaced 10k miles ago. Do you guys think this is really a fuel pump problem or is the DTC a red herring? I haven't checked pressure or volume from the pump yet because I need to get one of the non-reusable caps for the fuel rail.

Ideas?

Thanks in advance,

-Jeff
Old 07-29-2006, 08:55 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 334 Likes on 224 Posts

I have had to replace a fuel pump this month on one of my turbo's.. Robert York had to replace his.. The car was missing at 4500 and up.. Did you replace your cylinder head temp sensor?
Old 07-29-2006, 09:05 PM
jmayzurk
Rennlist Member

Have not replaced my CHT.

Is the fuel pump fairly easy to replace from below, or does the tank need to come out?

-Jeff
Old 07-30-2006, 12:03 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Jeff, its a very easy job.. You'll just have to deal with the fuel.. It's in a well under the right floorboard. You will fight the rubber sleeves that encase the fuel pump.. 25 minute job.. Take you longer to get your tools and jack up the car..
Old 07-30-2006, 06:15 AM
jmayzurk
Rennlist Member

Thanks. Just curious, is the CHT sensor on cylinder #3 as it is on the NA cars?

-Jeff
Old 07-30-2006, 02:48 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Yes, cylinder head #3.

Quick Reply: Rough running, P1501 DTC