Sponsored by:

Question on Value/Price of 96 Twin Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 12:46 PM
mars911
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on Value/Price of 96 Twin Turbo

I have a question on the proper price to list my 96 TT for sale for. It is a 96 TT, all stock with 54K miles. I bought it from the second owner who had had it from 97 to 2005 and it has all books and records. It has not had the 60K service done, but the car is in good/excellent condition and does not have any issues with it. Interior is in great condition without much/any wear on the driver's bolster. The paint on the car is great with no dings and the normal amount of minor chips from road debris. I priced the car at $59K which was the lowest in autotrader. The next highest was $62K and the rest were in the high $60K to $70K. Everything works on the car and the car should check out fine. My mechanic replaced the belts on it recently and changed the oil and I had asked him to give the car a look and see if it needed anything since I was selling it. He did and he mentioned that one of the seals on the engine/header could use some attention, but recommended that I not do anything to it yet since it was a minor thing (No oil has shown up in my garage) and that when the 60K service is done that this would be taken care of as part of that.
The car has not been wrecked and I had it fully checked out when I got it to make sure it was ok and was told it was never in an accident. Carfax came back good as well. The only paint done on the car was a year ago it was keyed and these spots were done by a high end body shop that does work on Porsches and all the work for the local ferrari dealer and I cannot tell anything was done to it. I do not believe that any of the panels were painted completely, just painted where necessary.
I have had a few calls on the car so far, in the week the ad has been running and have a couple that seem genuine and interested and one that seemed to be a joyrider possibly. My question comes in that one called up saying that any paintwork counted as major and asked if I would take $52K which seemed real low to me, and based it on a Kelly Blue Book value.
Does my price seem reasonable based on what the market is or am I out of line on the price?
Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to be thorough.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:02 PM
Bill (NC)
Racer

First thing I would do is the 60k service and take care or the seal issue. Then I would add that cost to the 59k and sit on it til it sells. Can't blame the lowballer for trying, but don't bite, it will sell.
Old 06-11-2006, 02:12 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 128 Posts

I think that your price is reasonable but the keying incident may raise concerns amongst many buyers. It really depends on how bad the damage was. It is one thing if a single door was keyed. It is altogether another if every panel on the car was damaged. I saw a brand new 930 with less than 2000 miles on it "totalled" this way. Also, I have learned that on Porsches it is essential to document with photos any damage and subsequent repairs done.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:02 PM
mars911
Track Day

Thanks for the heads up. I will consider the 60K service. Good point, although since this post I have had a couple of what seems to be pretty good callers on the car. I may wait on the 60K service and wait for the PPI. I fortunately have pictures of all of the damage and a video of the body shop going around the car pre-repair with a micrometer showing the car had not been painted before and what was done. I actually priced it below all of the others in the autotrader because it had some paint done to it. I'll keep everyone informed of what happens and thanks again for the information.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:06 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 128 Posts

Having that video is a big plus. It sounds like you shouldn't have too much trouble selling your car. Best of luck with the sale!

Quick Reply: Question on Value/Price of 96 Twin Turbo