Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I sell my TT and get a GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 11:41 PM
Jsandak
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I sell my TT and get a GT3?

I have done a few DE events have fallen in ove with driving. Everyone is telling me I would be better off in a GT3 as it is the ultimate Porsche ( rwd, fast, scary). I thought my 96 993TT was it, and then I droove the GT3...hmmm. So the debate begins.

Anyone have an opinion? Anyone want to buy/trade my wonderful 4wd 500hp Turbo for a GT3? Let me know what to do.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:44 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

What color?
Old 05-24-2006, 12:13 AM
ESL
Addict
Rennlist Member

PM sent
Old 05-24-2006, 12:55 AM
EricGT3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jsandak
I have done a few DE events have fallen in ove with driving. Everyone is telling me I would be better off in a GT3 as it is the ultimate Porsche ( rwd, fast, scary). I thought my 96 993TT was it, and then I droove the GT3...hmmm. So the debate begins.

Anyone have an opinion? Anyone want to buy/trade my wonderful 4wd 500hp Turbo for a GT3? Let me know what to do.

I just did exactly what you are contemplating. My TT didn't have as much hp as you do, but I think it did have 430-440hp, or that's what I'm told by Viperbob. I haven't taken the GT3 to the track yet, but I will in two weeks.

Some impressions so far:

Acceleration - altogether a different feeling. Those of you who've driven a TT know the rush of power that comes. Like a locomotive at your back. It's very addictive. You blast by people on the freeway like they're standing still. In the GT3, you really get a race car feeling (not that I've been in many real race cars, but that's what I imagine it to be.) When you wind it out, the motor just sings. It's just a marvelous sound. Almost like a Ferrari, as close as any P-car has gotten. They both accelerate strongly, my gut feeling is the TT is stronger in a straight line. Not by much though. They just go about it in different ways. The TT is quiet and smooth. The GT3 is raw and noisy (in a good way). I think all Porsches should accelerate and sound like the GT3. This is a real Porsche.

It is true that the radio in the GT3 is pretty much useless. There's quite a bit of road noise depending on what type of road you're traveling over.

Handling - ride. Haven't really taken the GT3 to the track (I'm not an expert driver anyway). However, it's not as bumpy or rough as some have said. In fact, I don't think it rides much differently than the TT. My TT had PSS-9s and TRG sways. I think they are similar in stiffness and ride. IMHO the GT3 handles much better than the TT, even with PSS-9s. Less body roll, sharper turn in, it just gets it done without much fuss. It turns on a dime. Not much body roll, you can tell it has high limits. There are some people who say that if you take a TT and beef up the suspension it handles like a GT3, well those people probably haven't driven a GT3. It's just not the same. It's so much fun.

To sum it up, the TT is more plush, delivers power in a different way, more refined. The GT3 is more raw, definitely race car like. If you want a street legal race car, the GT3 is the one. It's so much fun. The first time you drive one, you'll understand what I'm talking about.

They are different cars altogether. I think you're in a win/win situation. You know what I'd do.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-24-2006, 08:51 AM
PierreTT
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 64 Posts

I just bought a TT. I was wondering what P-car should I buy (in the 70-85 K$ range). Used 997S, used GT3 but I finally decided to go with my old dream: 993TT. I've got a very good performer (for daily usage and DE) and it look sooooooooo nice... There is not a sexier P-car on the road to me!!
Just my .02
Pierre
Old 05-24-2006, 08:58 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The GT3 is more a driver's car than the 993tt, or 996tt for that matter. It is lighter, has all of the improvements the 996 chassis has to offer, and will reward you with a better on track experience than the TT. The AWD and heavy rear end of the 993TT is noticable and you have to adjust your driving style to match it. I personally don't like AWD cars from a driver's point of view. Two very different cars with totally different personalities.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:42 PM
DM993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I would never trade my 993TT for a 996GT3. (I'm not fan of the 996body style) Y, the 996 GT3 is a notch lower than a cup car if you're heading that route, but a well setup 993TT can eat up GT3's on the track - drop in some race buckets, lower it on re-valved PSS9's and put some good track rubber on your car and the GT3's in front of you will be doling out the pass signals, I personally have lots of video of that at different tracks around the northeast. Now if you're talking about the new 997GT3, while I have not driven one, but I've read about 146 articles on it and 415 NA HP, not to mention the looks of that car - well if I could scare up the extra 30G's - then I'd definitely reconsider.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:53 PM
Jsandak
Track Day

Default Thanks for the feedback

I appreciate all the feedback - but still think I should sell the TT and consider the GT3. I agree that getting over the Turbo power will be difficult, but the crisp handling of the Gt3 will make me a better driver. Has anyone uised the PCCB on the track and if so do they really break?
Old 05-24-2006, 08:40 PM
red993tt
Racer

Sorry but I have disagree with the GT3 being "the ultimate Porsche(rwd,fast,scary)"
Old 05-24-2006, 10:18 PM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

While in exile, I've been giving it a lot of thought as part of my plea bargin with the states attorney,
giving up my 993tt. The new 997 Gt3 is the first car in ten years that may be worthy of consideration to replace Blackie. Then I remember the crushing acceleration I experience on the track. No Gt3 is close. No Cup car is close, in fact nothing is close.
It takes a race car on slickes to come close. The hot rodded 993tt with goofey turbos may show numbers on a dyno, but their rarely around after five run sessions. Maybe, I'll have a Bombay Saphire and ring up JR Gordon on the satilite phone (prevents the DA from evasedroping) see what he thinks.
Jimmy the fugitive
Old 05-24-2006, 10:23 PM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

I appreciate all the feedback - but still think I should sell the TT and consider the GT3. I agree that getting over the Turbo power will be difficult, but the crisp handling of the Gt3 will make me a better driver. Has anyone uised the PCCB on the track and if so do they really break?
Crisp handling! Is another word for underpowered.

Jimmy the fugitive
Old 05-25-2006, 12:05 AM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh baby! So many 993TTs for sale!!
Old 05-25-2006, 12:15 AM
Jsandak
Track Day

Default does that mean you are interested

are you looking for a fast car or wondering why so many seem to be for sale? Since not a lot were made, it seems like a lot are for sale b/c people know Rennlist is a wonderful source for car nuts like all of us. If you want to buy my car, that would be great - I could then freely enter into a new GT3
Old 05-25-2006, 12:19 AM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I just sold my M3 and actively looking for a 993. The TT is my ultimate choice but out of range.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:21 AM
Jsandak
Track Day

if you are local let me know I am in NY - we can talk

Quick Reply: Should I sell my TT and get a GT3?