Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To tt or not to tt, that is the question.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 02:30 AM
lthatch
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To tt or not to tt, that is the question.

Hi all. Leonard here in Santa Fe. I have been driving 993 NAs as my daily driver for 8 of the last 10 years, and am seriously considering switching to a tt for a couple of reasons. Since moving to the high desert of New Mexico, I have experienced the loss of hp that 7000 feet imposes on a normally aspirated engine (20%, I am told), and I want more power. I have been led to believe that a forced air induction system loses only 2% hp, which would leave me with (more than) enough to work with. Also, I want to change colors; my Black/Black car is never clean and always hot.
So I've watched some great cars come and go over the past couple of years. Steve's RUF, the recent Black tts, these and others were some great cars and super values, but the timing, color, or whatever other detail just wasn't right for me. Like many, I do suffer budget constraints.
So, now i have found a pretty good candidate. It's a 96 w/40k, Silver/Red (I like this combo), seemingly well cared for, two owner, reported no body/paint work, kind of interesting options, traded into Pepe Porsche on Long Island. I know the service hx, and it's just gotten valve cover seals, a new clutch, and a major tune up. Price: I've got a deposit at $62k, pending an inspection scheduled at Rennwerke on Monday. Rob in NYC has been patient and gracious and has agreed to look at the car for me on Saturday.
I don't really track. I want to drive the car pretty much daily excepting snow days and will put on 10-15k miles annually. I don't like visiting my local mechanic, but dread going to the dealer in Albuquerque. I myself have limited mechanical aptitude. My 2 993s have been super reliable and relatively cost effective to run. My current car is set up great: MO3O ROW, LWF/clutch, G50/21 transmission, and is cosmetically average enough to not worry about every little booboo that is normal for New Mexico.
Now, I have NEVER DRIVEN OR RIDDEN in a tt.
Am I about to make my life too complicated? Are there other cars I should think about or know about? Are these cars reliable and fun daily drivers? Is starting with an unmodded Northeast car a big error?
We do have some great drives in New Mexico.
Looking forward to the slings and arrows of outrageous Rennlisters...
Old 05-04-2006, 02:39 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 334 Likes on 224 Posts

Go for it.. I listed a few things to look for in a previous post... At that elevation your turbochargers will be working at 25-28% faster shaft speeds vs at sea-level..
Old 05-04-2006, 02:43 AM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Go for it. I had a C4S. One drive in a turbo and the car I thought I was going to keep forever was for sale.

Greg H.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:32 AM
EricGT3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's reallly simple. Drive one. You'll be hooked immediately. The power is very addictive. I guarantee you'll get one ASAP.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:44 AM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi there Leonard,

Seems like I have been in a somewhat equal situation as you. Owned a 993 C4 that I drove with pride. Some ***** gave me a ride in a 993TT and suddenly that *must have* feeling spread out from the guts to every single body part. If you are not sure. Please don't drive one, you'll have that "what-if-I-would-have" feeling forever.

Though there is a very good thing about the 993TT, if you look around and see what else there is for the money with quality, looks and performance. There just isn't really much of a competition out there for the bang-for-the-buck!

Regarding build quality and maintenance. My car has 52.000 miles on it, so far I've replaced the alternator belt (cheap part). The rest is just normal pads/rotors/tires/oil stuff.

One thing to remember before shutting down the car, is to cool down the Turbos after you've stressed them.

Good Luck!

(And don't forget to show us pictures after you bought it )
Old 05-04-2006, 12:21 PM
BlkC4S
Instructor

I sold a black/black C4S in November and bought a Silver TT in January so I know where you're coming from.

I haven't regretted the change for a second. Your current 993 is setup very nicely. It should sell quickly to the Rennlist crowd (assuming you're selling it.) Just think, you'll have a whole new car to "personalize".

You'll feel very at home in your new car. Just make sure you're in a straight-line and with some open space the first time you floor it. Even in stock form, these cars are much faster than the NA version.

At least with my stock exhaust, the turbos muffle the exhaust a bit, and I've found myself creeping up to higher speeds without noticing it.

Good look with the PPI.
Old 05-05-2006, 01:56 PM
lthatch
Racer

Thanks for the feedback on going NA to Turbo. I am sending the car to an independent mechanic Rennwerke, for PPI on Monday. This will include a compression test; should it include a leakdown, too?
Any other specific advice on what to ask for on the inspection? What do you guys think about the price? What about buying a car from the Northeast?
Thanks for the help.
Leonard
Old 05-05-2006, 01:58 PM
robroy72
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Need someone to drive it down for you?
Old 05-05-2006, 02:19 PM
BlkC4S
Instructor

I paid extra to get both a compression / leakdown. IMHO, it's cheap insurance on cars that are very expensive to repair.

Make sure someone checks that the car really does have no paint work (like a body shop). In my experience, dealers can't be trusted at all to know or tell the truth about that one.

I'll assume you did the basics like running a carfax. It turned up some questionable histories on a few cars that I was looking at (like a theft recovery.) The dealer conveniently forgot to mention that.

Originally Posted by lthatch
Thanks for the feedback on going NA to Turbo. I am sending the car to an independent mechanic Rennwerke, for PPI on Monday. This will include a compression test; should it include a leakdown, too?
Any other specific advice on what to ask for on the inspection? What do you guys think about the price? What about buying a car from the Northeast?
Thanks for the help.
Leonard
Old 05-05-2006, 02:39 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 334 Likes on 224 Posts

You need to have a leakdown test.. Don't get talked out of it.. Also, purchase a set of new plugs and work it out with the owner so that if things go good, you can re-install new Bosch not Buru plugs..

Also, ask the mechanic to look at the fasteners on the suspension and engine.

Anotherwords, if you had to remove the heat exchangers or Cat strap. How many bolts will break or have to be cut??

Corrosion is a concern when you have to have your car worked on.. Simple things like removing the valve covers become a 1/2 day job when all the 6mm fasteners are eaten with corrosion.

I'm not trying to be a spoiler to a good adventure, but these things need to be looked at..
Old 05-05-2006, 03:09 PM
red993tt
Racer

As much as I love my second 993TT, I would also recommend test driving a 996TT if you are looking for a daily driver.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:20 PM
lthatch
Racer

I appreciate all of your responses, and especially want to thank Rob who went to look at a car for me over at Pepe Porsche on Long Island. I decided to wait, for now, and see what develops. Meanwhile, if any Rennlister has a well-modified TT to sell, please contact me. For now, I remain NA.
Leonard
Old 05-10-2006, 07:41 PM
Woodster
Drifting

Good luck Doctor,

I am sure you will be NEEDING a turbo in your future mountain drives...

Marty K.

Quick Reply: To tt or not to tt, that is the question.