Sponsored by:

Need Help! Inspection in Boulder

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006 | 11:55 AM
bkniep
Instructor

Default Need Help! Inspection in Boulder

Hey all,
I've gone and done it. Agreed upon a price on a lovely Arena Red machine and now I need to do my due diligence.

I'm having the car inspected by a dealer ship in Boulder and before I make the phone call, I'd like to get suggestions on exactly what to ask for. Please excuse my ignorance if this info is out there already. I tried a search and couldn't find what I needed.

Any suggestions for work in Boulder area? I can't use Chris Cervelli as he has (very ethically I might add) excused himself on the grounds that this is a car he works on.

I know a PPI and leak down is the most important thing, but what is the ideal results range for a 96 993TT?

With valve guide wear, can this be checked easily? This sounds like it is a problem on these cars and I am wondering what to expect if this issue crops up. IS this the dread top end rebuild and 7-10K?

Any other stuff to look into? The car seems impeccably well maintained.
Thanks,
Bill
Old 05-01-2006 | 01:40 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Your looking to buy Grant's car. While I have never seen his car, I can just tell you that knowing Grant I would expect it to be in excellent condition.. And especially since Chris worked on it.

Good luck with the acquisition
Old 05-01-2006 | 02:15 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The questions that I would ask:

When were the plugs changed, I'd purchase new plugs to insert after the leakdown.
Plug wires changed?
Cap and rotor changed?
MAF replaced?
O2 sensors replaced?
Cylinder head temp sensor replaced?
Power steering pump seals and belt replaced?
Clutch replaced?
Condition of charge air boost hoses-make sure that they have the updated orange ends.
Valve cover gaskets replaced?
Pull inlet tubes to the turbochargers and check compressor wheel for damage and oil
Bypass valve condition?
Old 05-01-2006 | 06:28 PM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

I am in Denver and by far the best place I found for the tests was at 3R Racing in Englewood. They know their stuff and were VERY thurough(sp). And the leak down and compressing only cost 250 or. so.

www.3rracing.com

Quick Reply: Need Help! Inspection in Boulder