AWE Exhaust....Any takers???

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 11:59 AM
K24madness
Banned
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AWE Exhaust....Any takers???

I am going to contact AWE about the exhaust they sell. I know several of you guys have tried to purchase this system before but were only disapointed because of long delivery times. If we can band together and present them with xx orders all at once maybe can get them to make em.

Show of hands for all who maybe interested.
Old 03-06-2006, 01:02 PM
Jim Morton
Three Wheelin'

Tom:

FWIW, we tried this before and AWE took our deposits checks, held them and never moved forward. You are welcome to try again, but....

Also, word on the street is that the few systems that were built have teething problems from heat effects. I can't speak to this system exactly but can comment that materials used for turbo exhausts need better thought through than simply choosing the same 300 series stainless alloys as used by most exhaust folks.

If I were you, I would find a local fabricator and develop something similar and actually better built. I was going to take this on, but have WAY TOO MANY projects to consider this one, right now.

$0.02
Old 03-06-2006, 01:13 PM
K24madness
Banned
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jim Morton
If I were you, I would find a local fabricator and develop something similar and actually better built. I was going to take this on, but have WAY TOO MANY projects to consider this one, right now.
Jim I have the same problem at the moment. Waaaay to many irons in the fire. That is why this setup looked so appealing.

I will look into some other options. Since you are a thinker like me I will keep you in the loop. Maybe we can brain storm and find someone to fabricate it.

One thought I had was to mount the fabspeed maxflows the same way that AWE did and fabricate the rest. I would also install a balance tube between them for better sound.

I am curious about one thing. If you loop the header heat exchanges together (like AWE) do you retain heat? How is this possible if the blower in the engine compartment is not in the loop?
Old 03-06-2006, 03:02 PM
Jim Morton
Three Wheelin'

Tom:

The AWE system required their "headers" to retain cabin heat. That made the costs over $5k with their design. I wanted to try a work around for this aspect with any design I did.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:10 PM
K24madness
Banned
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jim Morton
Tom:

The AWE system required their "headers" to retain cabin heat. That made the costs over $5k with their design. I wanted to try a work around for this aspect with any design I did.
Jim,

If you look at their system they have a U shaped loop that connects their headers. If I fab up the same U shaped loop will I retain heat?

I don't understand this. I thought that the heater motor was in the engine bay.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:47 AM
ruffy
Burning Brakes

just sharing a resource...
i know a local shop that does fantastic argon welding..
be happy to chip in, in any way possible...

Quick Reply: AWE Exhaust....Any takers???