Sponsored by:

Lighten original Flywheel?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 06:34 PM
Jussi
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lighten original Flywheel?

I will change a sport clutch for my 993tt because of increased torque (hopefully near 800Nm).
I don't like to choose (total) light weight flywheel because of its weak points, like stalling and poor driveability in normal corner use..
So, is it reasonable to lighten original DMF from 13.6 kg to (for example) 8.6 kg?
Old 03-01-2006, 06:45 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

Can't do it.. Install the lightweight flywheel and be done with it. The stalling issues do not happen with good organic clutch disks. Go over to the 996TT forum and see what they are using.. They don't have a problem stalling the car, and most 993TT owners don't.. Wait till you see what a DMF can do when they come apart.. 800NM = liability to you bellhousing/mainshaft and crankshaft..
Old 03-01-2006, 06:55 PM
Jussi
Pro

Sorry about stupid question but what is difference between normal disc and organic disc?
Like FVD's products
Organic Sport Clutch Kit (760NM) FVD 116 909 3 1.495 €
and
Sport Clutch Kit (790NM) FVD 116 909 1 1.495 €
Old 03-01-2006, 08:11 PM
K24madness
Banned
Rennlist Member

Stalling will really depend on whos ECU software you use. Protomotives software has a higher idle speed to prevent stalling. Not sure about the others. I have the GIAC software as well. The idle is stock. Kevin may have incorperated the higher idle as well on his stuff.

I was dead set against the LWFW at first. Now I realize I should have done it when I did the clutch. The problem Kevin mentioned about the assembly self destruction has to do with the length of the flywheel bolts. On a DM setup they are loooooong. On the LWFW they are short. The longer ones have been known to shear off.

Tom
Old 03-07-2006, 01:39 PM
johnneurauter
Rennlist Member

I just bought a LWF kit from Imagine Auto for my 97 993tt, hopefully it will go in next week, I'll report the results if you can wait that long. Stalling is an issue that I'm concerned with as well but had so much feedback from people who had installed them that indicated it wouldn't be that big a problem that I just had to find out for myself. I'm running stock everything else ... for now ;-)
Old 03-07-2006, 02:00 PM
Ziad
Rennlist Member

j-s911
I just installed LWFW and Sachs Motorsport lightweight clutch along with Kevin's Stage 1 and couldn't be happier (with the whole package incl. LWFW), I've had a smile of my face for the last 2 weeks! No stalling whatsoever. At first I had the same concerns as you, but now, I wouldn't swap it for anything. Go for it...

I'll be posting something soon about the stage 1 which is simply awesome to say the least... Waiting to get some race fuel (there's a shortage here at the moment) so I can experience the package to its full. Our fuel is rubbish 91 to 93ish octane, yet the car to incredibly fast...

Quick Reply: Lighten original Flywheel?