Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Ultimate quest for 8500 RPM engine build

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 08:45 AM
Miles965uk
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great thread. Posting this stuff and showing your ideas is very cool!

What boost level would you expect to run with this?
Old 02-17-2006, 01:44 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 305 Likes on 211 Posts

Now we get to some fun stuff.. DIY work.. This is a area that has some pros and cons.. Case boat-tailing. In a opposed (flat) engine, you will have pistons moving up and down, on one side of the engine you have piston nearing top dead center, and on the other side you have another at the bottom of it's stroke.. Air is being pushed from one side of the case to the other and then back. Many Porsche technical writers have said that you can gain 15-20HP by boat-tailing the main webs.. The critical views are that if you grind to much material away you can get stress crack from the main web to the spigots (where the liners seat). I have seen different machine shops work over the years. I tend to take the middle of the road approach and grind a good 1/3 of the web on each side.. For your guys that are hand with air tools or a dremel it will take you around 2-3 hours per side..

As you can see if you look at cylinder #3 (far left) how square the main webs are. In order to not get metal shavings in any of the oil passages you need to duct tape all the holes.. It's not that hard.. You also need to tape the oil squirters.. Spend some time taping the spigots so that you do not ding them with the grinder.. My grinding bits are 4" long so you can grind away without hitting the critical areas.. I have removed all the end plugs in this case and will send it to Ollies for shuffle-pinning. I have soaked and cleaned the case already, but pulling out all the plugs will ensure that there is no debris in any of the oil passages. I will show some high RPM oil mods that you can do to help your rod bearings stay lubed, a little later.. I will also have the case spigots cut for RS sealing orings. For those that don't know what they are, basically as the cylinder liner set in the holes there is a oring groove cut in the perimeter wall so that a oring will seal the windage that occurs in the case.. The 993TT cylinders have a oring seal at the base of each liner that mates up against the face of the case.. The RS seal acts as a barrier or insurance seal to keep oil from being blown past the base oring.

Miles, I'll get 1.4-1.5 bar on a high boost map..
Old 02-17-2006, 02:56 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

A few weeks ago Gunter Mandl's partner Uli Hodel of Sportec sent me some good test data from dyno testing. I sent them some components and they were gracious to share with me the latest test data. He also sent me some pictures of the engine build.. For myself this is the top of the mountain for 993TT engines, a real 993TT EVO engine. It was completely rebuilt with new pistons and liners, camshafts, cylinder heads, and alot of new hardware.. No expense was spared on this engine.. Between the Secan intercooler and Inconel headers the cost of those items alone are $34K... This is one special engine.. If you look closely you can see the single plug used, it will run on race fuel.. It is also running Bosch Motronic 5.2 MAP based programming. Again the turbochargers are K24/26.5 as I call them.. They aren't quite K27 wheels, but they are right up there.. These are the same units that I have designed and built for my Stage 3 project..

Old 02-17-2006, 03:30 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Here is the dyno sheet for this engine... This is what the engine left with to go racing. However, this engine hit close to 950Nm..
Old 02-17-2006, 05:17 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Kevin, that intercooler is ****
Is this the same engine that Adrian constantly refers to in his (non biased to Sportec ) book ?
Is this the motor which you shared some outrageous dyno numbers from ?

Am I missing something here, why is it only making 540PS when it has all that hardware - OK the torque is phenominal and 464PS at 4000rpm will make it a beatiful driver(mine only makes 400 !)
I am guessing they have gone for massive area under the curve to provide the grunt (I can confirm this is the case ) and it is built to last forever

What gives with the lack of twin plug, you can't really describe it as "a real 993TT EVO engine" on single plug 3.6 ? - Gunther developed electronics to work with twin plug whilst he was at TTP, why has he gone single now - there is no downside to twin plug (if you can do it with 5.2)

Thanks for sharing all this - always wondered what boat-tailing was
Old 02-17-2006, 08:34 AM
Rickard 993 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Nice

Look at this link, very simular http://www.spezialmotorer.com/start/...ce/gt2_r_1.htm
This is a factory car from porsche, and Micke Svens built the engien here in sweden, this is the strongest Porsche engien they had seen when they put it on the dyno down at porsche later
Old 02-17-2006, 08:47 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts

This is a fantastic thread. Kevin this speaks so highly of your turbos and hard core engine building passion, thanks for sharing.

I guess you are anticipating many questions I would ask the exact same question as TB, why single plug. I remember having this same issue when I was planning to do my engine with Sportec, Ueli does not seem too fond of twin plug for some reason, I would think it is due to tuning complexity but if Gunther has been there before with Motronic, then why not?

Oh, they forgot to replace the BOVs!!! I hope this clarifies to all the sceptics that the factory BOVs are just fine, no needs to go with the EVOxxx platinum/titanium/billet or whatever. I use them on my pressure sensing engine as well and never had an issue either. It is amazing how close the build is to my engine. Other than that huge intercooler. Is that a varioram intake? That is my next step, there is still a bit to be gained by going with a varioram one.

Another interesting point, the thickness of the core, another misconception about the need for a thick core ala the huge thick ones I saw on a few 993TTs lately on this forum.

Great stuff. I guess there is no data about performance other than the dyno if it is a race car.
Old 02-17-2006, 08:59 AM
Rickard 993 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Kevin

I have asked you some Qestions i the stage2 and 3 tread...
Old 02-17-2006, 11:42 AM
Woodster
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Absolutely stunning motor!!!!!
Kevin (and Richard) thanks for the cool pics and info.
Did everyone notice the standard Bosch plastic diverter valves? Interesting!
I know Sir Alois is sticking with the Bosch units on LAT's rebuild as well.

Marty
Old 02-17-2006, 11:50 AM
DV 993tt
Instructor

Kevin
Great photos of the Secan intercooler! What does the intake look like? Please post more photos!
Old 02-17-2006, 12:24 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

TB, I just had to post the intercooler pictures for you... Seriously, the actual car will be raced.. It won't be sitting in a heated garage.. So, with that said, they worked around the numbers that the customer wanted and with transmission gearing tuned it to these results. I was a little dismayed myself about the single plug, and both Uli and Gunter said "why", They could have, the heads were welded, flame ringed, large valves were used.. This build was for massive power under the curve. Gunter will have his chance "soon" with the twin plug version of this engine... I'm not going with inconel headers, I'd love to have that intercooler.. but..

Jean, that's a standard 964, 993 plastic intake, with a EVO center plenum (very nice piece) I need to get me one of those 180 degree aluminum elbows. Look at cylinder 2 & 5, you can see the straps that are used to hold the plenum down to the engine.. Thus keeping it from blowing/lifting off.
Old 02-17-2006, 02:30 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

Agreed on the "race" engines. In those instances you can choose a higher rev range to boost because inheriantly you have a larger flow rate.
That would make a completely unstreetable car as it "buck" at lower rpms due to compressor stall. Racecars don't run at lower rpms so this isnt an issue
Old 02-17-2006, 03:08 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Audipwr1, did you look at the torque that was made down low with Sportec engine.. The way I look at it is I can have one engine with dual purposes.. I can load up a "race" map that will shift everything up the band for a DE event and then I can load up a street program.. You have to realize that I can control the way the engine performs with programming and using different turbochargers.. I promise you that I will not have any issues with compressor wheel stall.. I build and design/machine these turbochargers. The worst case is that I have a set of turbochargers built for a "Race Event" and one set for the street... If you look at the dyno sheet the torque isn't falling off yet, and this is at low boost.. With these turbochargers I won't see the torque falling off for another 500-600 RPM.. So, I'd be happy to have 900Nm till 7700-7800 RPM's.. We shall see..
Old 02-17-2006, 05:05 PM
red993tt
Racer

Yes Gunther will have his chance with a twin plug soon.
Old 02-17-2006, 05:25 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Actually 3 engines and maybe a yellow GT2.. (smile)

Quick Reply: The Ultimate quest for 8500 RPM engine build