Sponsored by:

Engine removal- 4WD Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006 | 02:41 PM
Miles965uk
Burning Brakes

Default Engine removal- 4WD Help

Guys
I am just going to drop my engine to install the correct trigger wheel for my aftermarket ECU and I thought I would install a cheeky RS flywheel in there to accomodate my RS clutch!

I have a 993TT transmission & 4WD and I have a question about disconnecting the torque tube, I see spline drive to it but the shaft needs to rotate I think to get at the bolt head- so how do I do this safely without screwing the VS up? Can I just rotate the front wheels or the shaft itself? Also do you then slide it when dropping the engine?

Also the 4 bolts for the torque tube housing on to the tranny- I do not have a hole uptop - underneath the handbrake area to get at the top bolts- do the 993TT have a hole cut away for this?

Old 02-08-2006 | 03:06 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

If you look on the tube you will see an access hole. Through here you can see allen holding the one side of the coupler. The other side is accessible though the other cutout. Remove these and push the coupler forward.

In the interior through the rear CD/Cassette holder there is an access panel through the floor. This will allow you access the two upper bolts. The two lowers you can get to from the bottom.

You can actually do the clutch without pulling the motor or the tube.
Old 02-09-2006 | 12:04 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Miles,

Yes you can rotate a front tire and the connector will rotate so that you can get at the allen bolts that keep it in place. As Stephen mentioned you can then slide the coupler forward to get it out of the way. Also, pull the bolt on the front diff suspension mount. This will give you room to move the torque tube and diff forward when you are ready to remove the engine / tranny or just the tranny.

Yes unfortuately, you do not have the cutout in your body from the factory for the upper torque tube bolts. How did the your drivetrain get installed? They might have put one in. If not, you may want to consider putting one in now.... No way to get near those bolts with the whole system installed....
Old 02-09-2006 | 03:19 PM
Miles965uk
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys.
Yes I did it today- turned the front wheel to roate the shaft and I had to drill a few holes up top as well. They must of installed the whole thing in one go then - hence my

But its all ready now to drop- I think I will still take the whole lot out for pure experience tho. Doesnt seem so tought to drop the engine afterall...

Quick Reply: Engine removal- 4WD Help