Sponsored by:

What is a TT really like on back roads?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 07:01 PM
Crownvic
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your welcome - I think I am far from slipping into the quest for ever more power. But don't quote me the day I say otherwise.

For now I am first thinking of lowering it to Euro height and fitting M030 shocks/mounts. How much $$$ does that normally take?

Second it might look even cooler to fit 996 wheels like FC-Racer (Stanley?) which sure look hot.

Is paint sturdy enough on wheels if I want them body color? Here's a pic of one with body colored stockers:

Are there any smart "preventive maintenance" items to do? The fellow at the shop where I would like to get the PPI says that he can fit special valve stem guides (or add a mod, couldn't understand what he was saying) for an extra $1500. That could either be funny money spent foolishly, or a wise investment preventing far costlier work down the road. Anyone know what he was saying?

He also provides re-gearing. Would this be useful for road racing use> I would be ready to sacrifice top speed in favor of low rpm torque. Or is this better achieved by smaller turbo fans?

Thx!

/Vic
Old 01-25-2006, 07:22 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Vic,

Haha... the slippery slope already. TT gears are fine. Save your money. Valve guides are a wear item with all the 993s (and some earlier models also, I believe). The guides should be replaced if they are bad. I would not bother doing them unless the car is smoking or losing performance, and the guides are determined to be the culprit. There are better guides out there. $1500 is a great price, BTW... just don't do it until it needs it.

Wheels: 996 hollow spoke wheels are a very nice, inexpensive upgrade. Those wheels are readily available... check on eBay. Email me (ca993twin@yahoo.com) if you want a connection. Painting the wheels is also a nice option. Bradford has done a set of 996 hollow-spokes in very dark gray (guards red C4S)... SENSATIONAL.

Suspension: there is an enormous amount of material on these forums about suspension choices. BTW, all 993s use the same suspension parts, so look on the 993 forum as well. My advice: choose well, and do it once. Its expensive with the parts, labor, corner balance, and alignment.

Have you selected a TT? What color? How many miles.

Last edited by ca993twin; 01-25-2006 at 09:08 PM.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:34 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Crownvic
Hi Anders,

Glad to see your name IS here. In the film were you driver X or driver Y?

There is a link to a thread in the OT forum under the "Why is my name here" text.

I am not the driver in any of those videos, but do have an idea of who it might be..
Old 01-26-2006, 03:39 AM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ca993twin
Vic,

Haha... the slippery slope already. TT gears are fine. Save your money. Valve guides are a wear item with all the 993s (and some earlier models also, I believe). The guides should be replaced if they are bad. I would not bother doing them unless the car is smoking or losing performance, and the guides are determined to be the culprit. There are better guides out there. $1500 is a great price, BTW... just don't do it until it needs it.

Wheels: 996 hollow spoke wheels are a very nice, inexpensive upgrade. Those wheels are readily available... check on eBay. Email me (ca993twin@yahoo.com) if you want a connection. Painting the wheels is also a nice option. Bradford has done a set of 996 hollow-spokes in very dark gray (guards red C4S)... SENSATIONAL.

Suspension: there is an enormous amount of material on these forums about suspension choices. BTW, all 993s use the same suspension parts, so look on the 993 forum as well. My advice: choose well, and do it once. Its expensive with the parts, labor, corner balance, and alignment.

Have you selected a TT? What color? How many miles.
I concur.

Make sure that when you want to replace your suspension, do the homework! It's expensive, takes time (if DIY) and it's important that it fits your driving. My suggestion is, get the car first, own it for some time and you then begin the slippe.... sorry I mean your research for upgrades
Old 01-26-2006, 05:21 AM
derestrictor
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd have to comment that the car is fundamentally astounding for back road hoonery.

About 18 months ago I road tested a MkII Lotus Exige which is commonly held to be a paragon of gripmeistery, chuckability and general tarmac-bourne lunacy. Indeed, a well known UK publication (EVO) performed a group test in which one of these was carrying up to 20mph more into hard corners than such track luminaries as the GT3-RS.

Whilst it was undoubtedly entertaining, it's profound lack of power meant the 'turn-in, boot & squat' which is such an alluring feature of the tt's repertoire was entirely absent - not good.

Indeed, within seconds of getting back into my 'beetle' the emphatic restoration of this crushing effect was so pronounced as to once again remind me why, after nearly seven years, there is no substitute for the twice blown oinker.

Throw into the mix various rafts of tweakability and you have an automotive proposition destined to keep you away from Italiante ad infinitum.

Buy & schnell, chin, chin.

DeR.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:30 AM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just love it when the English talk dirty!

Quick Reply: What is a TT really like on back roads?