Sponsored by:

What is a TT really like on back roads?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 03:12 AM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Robert,

Here is a link to that eBay auction (it was referenced in the 993 forum: subject: original 993 turbo convertible for sale on ebay...). Crappy picture, but that's all I have. I hope this works:

http://cgi.ebay.fr/PORSCHE-911-993-t...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 01-07-2006, 05:27 AM
Crownvic
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Sorting out the stock suspension?!?

Originally Posted by Ran
...You may end up wanting to modify the suspensions of the 993TT and the 993C4 though (although I would probably have modified a 993C2 suspension too). My 993TT was completely stock except for a modified suspension (bars, adj shocks, springs, bushings, strut). I know you want an air-cooled example but if not for that requirement, I would counsel a GT3. It satisfies most of your stated requirements (I think); in fact, the suspension, as compared to my modified 993TT, is more sporty in stock form while also being better at taking the bumps...
Hi Ran,

You give interesting insight into the suspension mods for 993s. I had thought that these cars were already factory tuned for pristine performance, and didn't realize they would need mods to perform optimally. The 996 GT3 is out, I will confess, because I am prejudiced (some call it being a purist). When the 996 came out I wore a black armband grieving the end of the 911s. I don't know if the 997 is enough of a move towards a resurrection. Better suspension may not help me forget the rest. Although I did read somewhere that the 996 GT2 was based on the 993TT chassis?

Cheers,

Vic
Old 01-07-2006, 05:30 AM
Crownvic
Instructor

Wink Board the Magic Mountain TT ride~!

Originally Posted by Peter S 993tt
All I can say is that I frequently drive my 993tt on the Taconic here in New York. It is a 2 lane twisty, windy road with lots of off camber turns. The car is truly amazing - even bone stock like mine. I've taken 10 mph turns at 60 without tire squeal. I get the spinning in my ears that is similar to a roller coaster. Quite frankly - you won't be disappointed with any of the models you mentioned. You just have to try them out to see which you prefer. I of course have my own bias.
Hi Peter,

I guess you said it all. The TT is more akin to a roller coaster ride, defying the laws of physics and pulling you through manoeuvers that would nail lesser cars. But isn't it what most would call an entirely different experience than "driving"?
Old 01-07-2006, 05:41 AM
Crownvic
Instructor

Question NA or Euro model?

Originally Posted by Robert Collins - 96 993TT
Crown Vic, you really need to go drive a 993TT and a NA 993 and draw your own conclusions. Just remember, most people are not comfortable with the TT power at first, but my how quickly people get used to it and want more!!!

I had a C2 cab, and now have a TT. While I think the C2 was more predictable in turns, that probably has something to do with the fact that I drove it for five years and was more comfortable with it than the new TT. The TT made me nervous at first, and I am still very respectful of it's ability to put me in a ditch. Having said that, I would not trade it for a NA 993 for anything. I love the car , the feel , the power etc etc etc....

In summary, if you understand the ability to steer a car with throttle management, any 993 is great. But the more power you have behind the pedal, the more potential you have from any aspect. That's where the 993TT wins.
Hi Robert,

Thanks for your advice. You have had the two cars that interest me the most. The C2 ragtop and the TT. The first for obvious sun worship reasons, especially as its chassis is said to be almost as rigid as the coupe. The second is not as much for the extra torque in corners or raw acceleration, but because if the 4wd handling is better, then a heavier car would surely benefit from more adapted power to also compensate the efficiency loss of its heftier mechanicals.

Or maybe, just maybe, would a chipped C4 cabriolet bring the best of both worlds?

You are right that I will have to test drive them first, but that means waiting for the snow to thaw and the mud to dry - ie next summer... However, at does give me time to sort things out in theory first.

Vic
PS. I assume your mention of the NA 993 means North American model - is the Euro model that different? I have a chance of buying one overseas, but feel that models in the USA are more pampered, driven less often, and usually less beaten to a pulp by hard driving maniacs than on the old continent.
Old 01-07-2006, 10:10 AM
Woodster
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default light, nimble, fast, and challenging

993 RS is what the doctor ordered for this man of
purist bloodlines...
Old 01-07-2006, 10:26 AM
IslandBoy
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Vic
PS. I assume your mention of the NA 993 means North American model - is the Euro model that different? I have a chance of buying one overseas, but feel that models in the USA are more pampered, driven less often, and usually less beaten to a pulp by hard driving maniacs than on the old continent.[/QUOTE]

I think with NA he meant "Normally Aspirated" as opposed to "TurboCharged" motor.
Old 01-07-2006, 04:07 PM
pole position
Burning Brakes

A : a chip in a 993 cab will get 5-10 hp max, in other words nothing.

B : all the talk about serious driving should not involve a cab because once pushed it is not
in the same league as a coupe.

C : the 993tt is a competent car, but in stock or lightly modified form hardly a rollercoaster ride and
the law of physics still apply

D : AWD handling is not better

E : participating in a top notch driving school will make you realize what you and a car can do or not.
Old 01-07-2006, 05:53 PM
Crownvic
Instructor

Red face light, nimble, fast, and challenging for 2 only...

Originally Posted by Woodster
993 RS is what the doctor ordered for this man of
purist bloodlines...
Hi Woodster,

It seems that you are wooing me with what moves my soul. In the US does a rarer (1995/1996 only?) non-raced 993RS sell for around the same price as the TT? If so it might become the one I'll seek out nationwide. However, I have two youngsters thus the search for a 2+2, hating to leave anyone behind. And wouldn't it be sacrilege to refit rear sits to an RS or Clubsport deprived of them at the factory?

Thanks though for the tempting suggestion.

Vic
Old 01-07-2006, 08:15 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Vic,

You never said where you are located. If in the USA, you may find it impossible to register a 993 RS for street use. And I doubt that there are any nice ones for comperable TT prices (much higher... they are very rare, especially in the USA where they are not legal to drive). I've never looked for one, but this is my recollection from previous threads on this forum.
Old 01-08-2006, 12:33 AM
Rob 97 993c2
Three Wheelin'

vic,
ive had a 993c2 and now a 993tt. While i love 993 cars and will always have my tt, NOBODY here would say a 996gt2/gt3 is not a purist car; clearly it is very capable and requires skill. Every pro driver i spoken with cant say enough good things, so dont pass it by b/c its not 'pure'.

You will not find a 993rs in the USA b/c they were not sold here, so the cost would be prohibitive. Also, it is not good use of money to convert a c2 into a RS.

So, for a 993, you are left with a c2 or a tt. The TT has great torque, but it is heavy and in many ways ive found my c2 more fun to drive on the street and tight country roads (i live in the northeast). Also, the handling (lighter in the front) is better. AWD doesnt handle better nor more enjoyably, but it can provide a greater margin of error - which you are stupid if you are pushing that hard on the street. Track is a different story. Often the TT is just so planted and heavy, that you have to get upto warpspeed (dangerous / arrestable) b/c inorder to feel it work.
Drive them both. Also you can get a c2 and add a supercharger for more low end power which might be more fun on the street.
Old 01-08-2006, 01:38 AM
Robert Collins - 96 993TT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

CrownVic,
By "NA" I did mean "normally aspirated". Common term on this board once you've been here awhile, sorry.

Regarding the handling, my cab was too soft in the handling category so I changed the suspension. I changed out to Bilstein HD shocks (from Gert) coupled with the H&R sport springs and the 993 turbo sway bar kit. That combo was a major upgrade from factory settings, while still not going all the way to PSS-9's or even more stiff.

ONCE that suspension was on, handing was unbelievable. Turn in was quick as a spark, and you could feel throttle management better than ever. I would bet the PSS-9's. motons. etc... would make it even better. For the street though, it was a perfect blend of crisp handling and comfortable ride.

Regarding the cabriolet for handling, I will agree with earlier statements. Driven on the street for everyday "weekend warrior" type driving for fun, a cab with an aftermarket suspension is fantastic (factory sucks). If you go to the track however, you will find the limits of your car quicker than if you were in a coupe. Simple physics, even if they do suck!!! I would take a 993 TT cabriolet in a heartbeat if it weren't for that and the fact that a 993TT has such beautiful lines with that sloping rear around the "C" pillars. Man what a sexy looking car!

Good luck with your search.
Old 01-08-2006, 04:50 AM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The 1996 993 RS can legally be imported into the US under the NHTSA/DOT's "Show and Display" clause. Very briefly this means the car must pass emissions tests at an EPA approved facility, does not need any safety related changes (lights, bumpers, glass, etc) but can only be driven 2500 miles per year.
Old 01-08-2006, 07:42 AM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 201 Posts

Vic,

I drive a both a slightly modded TT and a 04 GT3 RS. I previously owned an '87 930 and an "86 930s so am very familiar with the handling traits of the older cars....and i know that you cant get the RS in the US but just to comment on a couple of things.

1. Purity - these are both so far apart in feel and drive and yet BOTH are about as pure as you can get. The RS feels like it is an extension of my hands - the TT the same - BUT the track is for the RAS - no doubt about it - and the margin for error with a GT3 is so so slim at the limit. They really are almost heading back to the old days ( although maybe not as precarious) and the sound is just intoxicating......The TT (with muffler by passes) just sounds .... ANGRY.

2. For carving up the backroads....IMHO i would take the TT over ANYTHING! We have a famous (and deadly) road here called "The Old PAcific Highway" which has surfaces from billiard table smooth to off camber with broken ashphalt and i just LOVE it in the TT. The feeling of boost (ok i am a boost junkie!) on top of the surefooted handling (due to the AWD) when accelerating out of bends is UNMATCHED by anything i have driven on these roads.... I say you cant beat the TT and i will never sell it....

3. The 993RS would be another of my favourite drives - just and only just comparable to a go kart for feel and feedback... but as they seem too hard to really get in the US i would still go the TT....

4. As nice as a NA 993 is (whether wide or narrow bodied) and as nimble as they are (or you can make them with mods) they will never feel as light or as feather touch as the 356. As for greater error margin - it really depends on how much faster the TT will be going when something happens....

5. Suspension mods - Although finely tuned from the factory - as mentioned by you - these cars are all getting older ( at least 8 or so years ) so the shocks will be shot. No matter how many miles. Also technology moves on - and some of the stuff being made todays is just so good - and talk about transforming a car by changing nothing but old suspension.....

Best Regards,
Simon
Old 01-09-2006, 02:44 PM
Gordon Attar
Instructor

Just a couple of things to add from overhear in the UK.
The 993TT is definately the one to have, if the 'Boost' turns out to be 'to much' try the C2S and C4S and the car sticks like Glue when its dry....... but is down right scary when its cold and wet and comes unstuck when the boost kicks in
Old 01-09-2006, 11:53 PM
ST
Advanced

I started with a 964C2, then a 993C2 for 3 years and in the last year a 993TT. we (about 8 other porker lovers) do a drive up into the hills on a B road most sunday mornings at 7am when there are no cars. The route goes from about 200ft above sea level to about 3500ft over 35miles, there are tight twisty sections and some long winding fast stretches. i thought the C2 was really good though somewhat under powered, turned in really well and contrary to popular (or misguided) belief, wasn't tail happy, and when it did understeer, was very easy to correct....but after a year with the TT on the same route, i wouldn't trade it for anything else!! You are just so much quicker out of corners and the 4WD is just incredibly stable. With the exception of an autocross, i don't see the C2 being the better car anywhere else. My 2 cents worth.

Quick Reply: What is a TT really like on back roads?