Sponsored by:

What is a TT really like on back roads?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 07:01 PM
Gordon Attar
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Crown Vic
The expert on comparing the C2s,C4s and TT is Very Sideways(owned all 3) and a regular contributor, unfortunately he is on holiday this week, I will send him a PM to add his input.
The TT is plenty nimble enough on rough back roads, rides fine as well, though you will obviously find the C2's a little lighter than the equivalent 4 wheel drive versions. From my perspective the TT weight distribution feels perfect compared to my 964C2 which by comparison(in retrospect )feels that the weights definately behind you. Yes the car feels relatively heavier but that doesnt matter as we have almost 50% more power.
I think you would find the C2s and C4s a better bet than the std version as they have a wider track, are lowered and the C4s has the big reds added, they are definately the sexiest and the most sought after of the 993's. The one reason for going for the 2s would be if you like tracking and 'controlled drifting' but both are very sure footed.
From recent conversations with VS if you are looking for a daily all weather driver in a colder climate then the C4S is the one to have if you have a heavy foot. If you are going to use it as a 2nd/3rd car and mainly fair weather driving then it has to be the Turbo.

Regards
Gordon

Ps since the 964 there is no real concern about them being tail happy
Old 01-17-2006, 03:43 AM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stummel

What I do not understand is that the C4S is not too much cheaper than a Turbo.
So I would never buy the C4S but it is nevertheless a great car.
Agree, the C4S was more attractive when there was a bigger price difference.

Regarding the 993 RS it is not exactly in the league of the 964 RS but a very capable sports car.
?!!!

For the additional money that the 993 RS will cost you can easily modify any 993 to your like and still have money left. (but no RS)
Without a doubt! Completly agree. The 993RS has turned into a collectors car. Also it is not road legal in the U.S

The 964 RS (do not know if you have that in the US) is a hell of a car and the suspension has about zero comfort. My friend sold his 98! 993 TT with 450 hp Porsche factory kit and bought a 964 RS for about the same money! to drive it on the F1 Hockenheimring race circuit almost every week.
He is so happy with the feeling of the car even if it is not faster than the Turbo. It is all about driving sensation and a good feeling.
Hm... this thought has occured to me. However -98 993TT, 450hp = 964RS? Your friends car must have been a steal..

I am always very suprised after driving a new (for me) Porsche model.
Are you talking about any recent experiences here Stummel.......?
Old 01-17-2006, 04:11 PM
Crownvic
Instructor

Unhappy C4S is overpriced and stay away from 993RS ?!?

...Regarding the 993 RS it is not exactly in the league of the 964 RS but a very capable sports car. For the additional money that the 993 RS will cost you can easily modify any 993 to your like and still have money left (but no RS).
Hi Stummel,

So you don't recommend that I buy this RS?
If it is sharper and nimbler than a TT, I don't mind paying the same, but won't pay a substantial premium above TT prices...

As you so rightly said about your friend's 964RS: "It is all about driving sensation and a good feeling". Isn't the 964RS priced even higher than the 993RS? All things being equal (obviously they're not) I prefer the 993 body sculpture.

Cheers German Style

/Vic
Old 01-17-2006, 04:43 PM
Stummel
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Vic,

I do not know the market and the prices in the US.

The 964 RS is about the same as the 993 RS over here but I do not know exactly as I am not in the market for either one.
I too prefer the 993 body style.

If you can get the yellow 993 RS in the pic for about the price of a 993 tt and you do not need more power (yet) I would go for it for the backroads.
But please do not put any back seats in it. If you want that kind of car certainly go for the turbo.

You will not loose any big amount of money so just try it. If it is not right go and buy the next model.

Cheers German Beer...
Old 01-17-2006, 04:47 PM
Crownvic
Instructor

Wink Fat body only with Fat engine?

Originally Posted by Gordon Attar
Crown Vic
The expert on comparing the C2s,C4s and TT is Very Sideways(owned all 3) and a regular contributor, unfortunately he is on holiday this week, I will send him a PM to add his input. The TT is plenty nimble enough on rough back roads, rides fine as well, though you will obviously find the C2's a little lighter than the equivalent 4 wheel drive versions. From my perspective the TT weight distribution feels perfect compared to my 964C2 which by comparison(in retrospect )feels that the weights definately behind you. Yes the car feels relatively heavier but that doesnt matter as we have almost 50% more power.
I think you would find the C2s and C4s a better bet than the std version as they have a wider track, are lowered and the C4s has the big reds added, they are definately the sexiest and the most sought after of the 993's. The one reason for going for the 2s would be if you like tracking and 'controlled drifting' but both are very sure footed.
From recent conversations with VS if you are looking for a daily all weather driver in a colder climate then the C4S is the one to have if you have a heavy foot. If you are going to use it as a 2nd/3rd car and mainly fair weather driving then it has to be the Turbo...
Hi Gordon,

I'll definitely appreciate Very Sideway's input when he gets back, however drifting isn't my bag although my brother used to drift our 356 in hairpins (low speeds in those days).

My main question was whether the wider S body would be better on a C2 than the narrow body. From an outside perspective I would have thought that the Turbo body was mostly necessary to glue to the road all that excess power and might be overkill on a NA car. I appreciate that a wider car will hunker down better, but wouldn't a narrow bodied C2 preserve some of the driving sensations of older Porsches? Slight tail-heaviness without spin-outs sounds like the best of both worlds when such sensations used to come at the expense of unexpected U-turns.

My foot is heavy but I know how to lighten it up in the rain, so I think I could behave properly in a TT especially as the C4S flirts with TT prices!

My evolving shortlist is narrowing down to a C2 (narrow) versus a TT, versus an RS. The C2 would be a great "bang for the buck" low mile ride, the TT would be a great "bang at any price" higher mile ride, while the RS might be the ultimate ride but at possibly way too hefty a price for a car in decent condition.

/Vic
Old 01-17-2006, 04:56 PM
Crownvic
Instructor

Talking Power or finesse ?

...If you can get the yellow 993 RS in the pic for about the price of a 993 tt and you do not need more power (yet) I would go for it for the backroads.
But please do not put any back seats in it. If you want that kind of car certainly go for the turbo...
Hi Stummel,

I get it. You wish you had gotten your friends factory 450hp TT. So that is the car you recommend? However, I may wait until I get bored with the stock engine first.

I'm not into high speed autobahn rides, as local law enforcement would lock me up for life if I really opened up a TT on the highway. So I must get my thrills in other ways. Imagine you lived in the hills of Bavaria and that your auto was banned from the Autobahn (no pun intended).

Would you still go for a TT - or settle for a "weaker" RS ???

/Vic
Old 01-17-2006, 05:04 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Crownvic, regardless of what we tell you, the only way to tell is to actually drive the cars. What is fun for one person may be boring to another and what is rock hard to one person may be soft to another. Go out and arrange test drives in all these cars. I bought a 964 Turbo several years ago with the shortest of test drives because I wanted that car, I loved the body style. I wish I had driven it more because it really wasn't the car I thought it was. I went based on what I read and what people told me, but the reality did not measure up to what I read. My recommendation, in alignment with many of the above, is to go out and drive the cars and come to your own conclusions based on how it feels to you. The Turbo and the NA cars are so different, it's difficult to even compare the two IMHO.
Old 01-17-2006, 05:35 PM
DTampa
Advanced

Cownvic,

I currently own a 97 TT and a 97 C2. I love both cars but I agree with fc-racer that they are very different. The C2 is lighter and nimbler. With the TT, the weight and the power are always present. The TT is easier to drive fast on the track. C2 is a better daily driver given the cool-down requirements for the TT. You need to drive the 993 NAs to see if you like the long gearing as that presents a totally separate experience from the ever-present power of the TT. They are both fun on back roads though I have yet to find a street/road situation where driving fast enough to get an adrenaline rush is safe or advisable. It's really hard to choose a favorite but I guess the fact that I'm selling the C2 to make room for the TT speaks for itself.

Hope that helps a little.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:21 PM
Crownvic
Instructor

Lightbulb One Stop Shopping for a Porsche

Hi FcRacer,

Sorry to hear about your mishap in buying your first P-car, I hope it helps me and others avoid the same mistake. I will definitely give them a tough going through the moves and be critical when buying.

Is there a person/shop/place anywhere (ie Europe or USA) where I could go and get "fixed up" with the right car? I've noticed a shop in England recommended by another Rennlist member where many of the cars they sell are cars they've already sold to former customers and have taken in as trades on other Porsches. It seems that I might need something like that, or at least somebody to advise me who can see how I like to drive and help focus on the right model. I know there's that fellow with the nice low mile expensive cars (Sloancars?) but I think I need psychological counselling by somebody who is more driver oriented than love object obsessive.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

/ Vic
Old 01-17-2006, 08:29 PM
Crownvic
Instructor

Wink What is bad about a TT is that it is too good for your own good

[QUOTE=DTampa] ...I currently own a 97 TT and a 97 C2. I love both cars but I agree with fc-racer that they are very different. The C2 is lighter and nimbler. With the TT, the weight and the power are always present. The TT is easier to drive fast on the track. C2 is a better daily driver given the cool-down requirements for the TT. You need to drive the 993 NAs to see if you like the long gearing as that presents a totally separate experience from the ever-present power of the TT. They are both fun on back roads though I have yet to find a street/road situation where driving fast enough to get an adrenaline rush is safe or advisable. It's really hard to choose a favorite but I guess the fact that I'm selling the C2 to make room for the TT speaks for itself... [QUOTE]

Hi DTampa,

Why is it that almost all of those who used to have a C2 or C4 have happily traded them in for a TT, but never the reverse? The closest I've heard of the opposite is the fellow in Germany who traded in his 993TT for a 964RS - for track use mind you.

I want it to be a daily driver, and to be nimble. So based upon your post, I guess I will want to steer away from the TT and must by all means avoid test driving one: apparently they are so addictive that even though you can't find a place to legally or safely put them through the paces, you get hooked and can no longer live without them.

Maybe it is because they are quite a bit more expensive that few if any ever swap their TT for a C2, or if they do they don't come and brag about it here in the TT forum. Maybe some are hanging out in the 993 forum and have a story or two to tell about what they don't regret from their TT days? Anybody ever hear anything less than elogious about a TT?

/ Vic
Old 01-17-2006, 08:56 PM
Peter S 993tt
Racer

Nope
Old 01-18-2006, 01:00 AM
ST
Advanced

Originally Posted by Crownvic
Hi ST,

Yet another unconditional TT owner - I guess I should expect it in the TT forum.

I appreciate your candid comments on the C2's qualities, and those about the TT seem to come from its greater stability. Wouldn't a C2S have similar stability due to the widebody, even if in your estimation it remains underpowered? I don't know Malaysian roads, but in Vermont many of them wind and curve every 200 to 300 feet, making for shorter stretches to accelerate in thus requiring better entrance into corners than acceleration out of them.

/Vic
Crownvic, in the twisty sections, the C2 is probably as good as the TT. The C2 certainly has the lighter steering and therefore is easier to work with when chucking it around in the tight sections you mentioned. When pushed hard in fast corners, I believe it is the 4WD rather than the wider rear that really makes a difference when it comes to sticking to the tarmac. Stability I think will really essentially on your suspension set up..the wider track of course will also make a diference. BTW, I fitted a RUF front strut to the C2 and it made a difference too, the turn in became more direct, but that is going off the mark...an altenative may be to supercharge your C2...a friend did that and the difference is phenomenal....not better top end speed but the torque and power in mid band for the winding stretches ...wow...
Old 01-18-2006, 01:03 AM
ST
Advanced

BTW Crownvic, if you want a daily driver as indicated, forget the RS....it is NOT a daily driver.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:52 AM
Crownvic
Instructor

Lightbulb C4 steering LIGHTER than C4S steering ?

Hi ST,

Thanks for chiming in. If the 4wd is what really makes the difference in grip in tight turns, then I may want to find a clean C4 (not C4S). Just maybe it is the wider track and different chassis dynamics which make the TT seem less nimble than the C2. I'll lump the C4S in with the TT as it is pretty much the same except for being NA.

The handling issue separating these cars which remains to be settled is what exactly changes their dynamic performance in stock form (aftermarket mods set aside).

Just maybe, I could get a custom shoe to fit my heavy foot - something like a narrow bodied C4 to which I could add a supercharger. Enough extra power to offset the added weight and mechanical losses of the four wheel drive, retaining the narrow chassis' original 911 handling character, and possibly even saving cash versus a more expensive TT or C4S which wouldn't deliver the same joys in my type of twisty back road use.

I guess what I'm seeking is a family driver that will crank the mustard in a Corsican Rallye (but with Corsicans driving down the road in the other direction!). Tell me if I'm wrong, but to me this dictates the superior precision of a narrower body, even if one cannot take as many G-Forces in high speed unbanked corners. It also might call for the added grip of Porsche's famous 4wd but without the bubble body. It might also help to follow your suggestion of adding a supercharger, not so much for greater high-end speed, but to get an extra surge of torque to help yank her out of the bends?

By the way, do you remember which Supercharger your friend added? I've heard horror stories about some brands frying a good engine. I'll also take your advice, and shall forsake the RS both due to daily driveability and its lack of rear seat. By the way, how much of a premium should one pay for really low miles (ie 15 to 30 thousand miles)? I realize that it can come pretty close to a fresh lightly used car, sort of like a return from a 2-year lease. Less hardship on the wallet later, but maybe too much to outlay up front?

I recently saw a standard C4 for sale with only 15000 miles but they're asking $52k for it... not exactly bang for the buck - so I'll start the hunt for a standard C4 unless a clean and realistically priced used TT comes to market (hint hint Rennlisters who want to change colors).

TIA.

/Vic

Last edited by Crownvic; 01-18-2006 at 10:31 AM.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:39 AM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Vic,

A quick question. Where do you live? Or rather, in what country will you purchase the car?

Quick Reply: What is a TT really like on back roads?