Whats the story on the Unichip?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 06:10 PM
Rob 97 993c2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the story on the Unichip?

Hi guys
Just curious, whats the story on the Unichip for our 993tt? Ive searched the archives, but cant reach a real conclusion.
I ask b/c a local shop that is well respected recommended the unichip plus their dyno programming as an upgrade and we dont seem to discuss it.

Why have more 1996 993tt owners used a unichip given the lack of ECU flash ability?
Old 01-04-2006, 08:46 PM
Peter S 993tt
Racer

I've heard that they don't usually work because of the ECU's adaptability. It will modify itself back to factory after a while - the only thing that works I've heard is flashing the ECU.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:36 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

With the Unichip system you are basically faking the input signal or lying to the ECU, to try to manipulate the outcome. There gets to be a point where you can't fake "enough" of the signal. And many times you need more fuel or ignition timing that is available in the stock map.. Anotherwords the Unichip will never give you "more" than what is in the ECU maps. With larger turbochargers more boost is a given.. You need more fuel.. One could jack up the FPR or install larger injectors, but...

Again please realize that you are not programming the ECU, but manipulating the signal to get a limited outcome.. By the time you folk out the cash for this system and pay for dyno time and tuning. You are well into purchasing a tuned system.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:49 AM
K24madness
Banned
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rob 97 993c2
Hi guys
Just curious, whats the story on the Unichip for our 993tt? Ive searched the archives, but cant reach a real conclusion.
I ask b/c a local shop that is well respected recommended the unichip plus their dyno programming as an upgrade and we dont seem to discuss it.

Why have more 1996 993tt owners used a unichip given the lack of ECU flash ability?
Rob,

Don't waste your money. The latest software from Protomotive is very very nice. Todd really got in there deep and really flattened out the fuel curve. I have been quite impressed. You have seen his other creations on this board. His work is proven time and time again.

I can help you locate a 97 ECU if need be. Don't waste you time with the old one.

Tom
Old 01-05-2006, 12:05 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

I tried the Unichip when the Racer's Group still owned the rights. PIECE OF JUNK, and DANGEROUS... Why do you think Racer's Group sold this business at the height of their winning Le Mans, etc? It was giving them a bad reputation. Run as fast as you can Rob away from it. Also, I would be suspect of any shop that installs it...
Old 01-05-2006, 12:22 PM
Woodster
Drifting

doing ECu only is also a waste of money!!
Get a SYSTEM from somebody...
Protomotive
Kevin
FVD
Cargraphic
ETC.
ECU only == BAD (unichip == more bad)
Marty

Quick Reply: Whats the story on the Unichip?