Sponsored by:

Techart Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005 | 07:04 PM
Temple
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Techart Turbo

Just wondering what the thoughts are regarding the techart turbo package -- there is a 993TT on ebay right now Techart Turbo that appears fairly nice. I believe it is originally from Florida and was listed on ebay earlier this year for low $70s.

I've looked in the archives, but while techart appears to be well-regarded my understanding is that to put out anything more than 460 HP, you need to do some internal work beyond simply new turbos, new programming and more cooling. The techart 510 HP package does not appear to do this.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I'm still waiting for insurance money due to my car's theft, but I am looking around and this car is intriguing.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-18-2005 | 07:34 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

If you look very closely in the Techarts package it says replaced reinforced rods, then I can't see what it offers for the export version. K24's, ECU tuning, mufflers, and small oil cooler.. Hopefully this package has 100 cell cats?
Old 12-18-2005 | 07:34 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Brooke,

Looks like a really nice car. I wouldn't get too hung up on the actual HP numbers... there are simply too many variables. I think it has a roll bar installed... was it tracked? Not necessarily a bad thing or a good thing.

Good luck on your replacement Porsche.
Old 12-18-2005 | 09:05 PM
cesar
Racer

So did your insurance finally come up with a decent number?

I take it the car was never recovered.

Cesar
Old 12-18-2005 | 09:21 PM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Brook,

I hope its good news if you're beginning to look... This 993TT seems to be pretty nice. But as usual (I know you will) get a throurough PPI and if you have any questions we're all here to help.

Good Luck.
Old 12-19-2005 | 02:12 AM
Temple
Addict
Rennlist Member

Cesar, I'm hoping my insurance situation will be resolved within the next two weeks -- I plan on providing a synopsis of that adventure to our community once its complete . . . Sorry for the suspense, but I think it will be easier to do once its over rather than blow-by-blow.

I'm emailed the dealership for more information regarding the techart replacement parts. I'm not so concerned with HP as I am with driveability and reliability -- I'm concerned the K24s might be a bit peaky for me as I'm probably 90% street driving (as it will be a daily driver as well as for the track) and find it a bit odd that after all these years on rennlist, there seems to be almost no firsthand experience with a techart turbo upgrade.

I'll keep you informed of what I discover.

Cheers
Old 12-19-2005 | 04:10 AM
Rassel
Drifting

I wouldn't worry about the K24's themselves. I have them on my car and they work perfectly on the street. Expect about the same acceleration time from 0-60mph, then the difference comes in.

I guess the TechArt ECU is more aggresive than my 450hp. Though I do not think it would affect the driveability that much. In the end I suggest you try the car yourself and get yourself your own opinion. First hand experience beats forum recommendations on this one.
Good Luck.
Old 12-30-2005 | 12:43 PM
Temple
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just as an update -- the dealer in Chicago is relatively useless in terms of understanding what he has. He did, however, put me in touch with the shop that did the techart work on the turbo awhile ago which is down in Florida. I spoke with the mechanic who, at this point, has received a few calls about the car. Basically, the turbos are NOT K24s but are modified K16s and he claims it is putting out over 500 HP. I immediately asked if he had done any internal engine updates or added a second intercooler, and he said no it wasn't necessary. He also mentioned it has a techart suspension (some form of modified bilsteins), factory porsche roll bar which does not require any holes to be drilled, and a techart exhaust. He hasn't seen the car for awhile, so he did not have any opinion as to its condition. The turbo upgrade, based on what I've learned here, concerns me in terms of reliability given the lack of upgrades to deal with the modified turbos and ECU, so I'm passing on this one. Hope this helps anyone else looking.
Cheers
Old 12-30-2005 | 01:31 PM
hal m
Rennlist Member

I have modified k16's (k24 compressor wheel) and a modified ECU. There is no need for internal mods at this power level and it should be just as reliable as stock, so this is nothing to worry about.

There are a good number of Rennlisters with Kevins modified k16s. I think he calls these GT1s.

I don't think you quite get 500hp with these mods, but getting close.
Old 12-30-2005 | 05:32 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Temple, let's read in between the lines.. What you have is programming by Mr Mandl with GT1 turbochargers.. If I seen a picture of your Cat I could tell you what you have, or what you don't have.. With that said.. The car is not putting out "over 500 HP" but is is a very good "kit" that had some good success in the late '90's..
Old 03-23-2011 | 11:18 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

wanted to give this thread a bump!

my 993TT has the TechArt TA01 package (e.g., flashed ECU, aux oil cooler, air filter, exhaust) as well as TechArt's suspension package. Eager to learn more and curious what the rest of you may know about TechArt's 993TT package as information on the 'Net is quite limited.

Curious what everyone has learned as well as any PDF files you may have (e.g., factory brochures, comparative horsepower tests, etc.).
Old 03-24-2011 | 06:52 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by TorqueChap
wanted to give this thread a bump!

my 993TT has the TechArt TA01 package (e.g., flashed ECU, aux oil cooler, air filter, exhaust) as well as TechArt's suspension package. Eager to learn more and curious what the rest of you may know about TechArt's 993TT package as information on the 'Net is quite limited.

Curious what everyone has learned as well as any PDF files you may have (e.g., factory brochures, comparative horsepower tests, etc.).
TorqueChap, ~440bhp seems reasonable from this kit. You still have stock K16 turbos so your performance will be very close to the factory 430HP option, maybe slightly faster as you might be running slightly higher boost.

Here is some data from the factory 430HP engine:

0 - 80 km/h 2,8 s
0 - 100 km/h 3,8 s
0 - 120 km/h 5,1 s
0 - 140 km/h 6,7 s
0 - 160 km/h 8,5 s
0 - 180 km/h 10,7 s
0 - 200 km/h 13,5 s

Sorry dont have any tests of this car.
Jean
Old 03-24-2011 | 07:41 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TorqueChap

You have to know where to look - good job us old timers are still here

Phil Hindley at Tech 9 in the UK is Techart importer and kindly has uploaded 993 brochures on his site. Relevant to your enquiry is page 16:

http://www.tech9.ms/documents/cms/993_katalog2.pdf

Kevin, can you ID those turbos in the pic ? regular K24 or something special ?
Old 03-24-2011 | 07:49 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

As usual Toby knows where to find information.

Bear in mind the TA01 kit in question here has 100% stock K16 turbos still.
Old 03-24-2011 | 12:16 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Jean/Toby, thanks so much for the info! The sales receipt I have states "442hp" and the nice gentlemen that do the major wrenching on my car said that it feels every bit as strong as a 440hp. Made sense then to roll with the 442 hp notations.

Do you know who in Florida installed the TechArt kits back in the day? Was it The Collection or somebody else?

Quick Reply: Techart Turbo