Sponsored by:

Advise on K16 chargers

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 04:44 PM
mxeven
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advise on K16 chargers

I'm currently converting my 930 to twin turbo and I would like some thoughts from you guys that have much experience from different TT 3K chargers. Some facts about the engine; I'm not looking for insane amount of hp, around 450 crank hp, but instead get good low end torque and a nice drivable street engine. I will keep it at 3.3 liter, different cams, EFI, large custom intercooler, standard intake manifold and maybe raise compression slightly.

I have the opportunity to buy slightly used standard K16 chargers of a 996TT. What is your opinion, will these chargers fulfill my goals? Is there a difference between 993 K16 and 996 K16? What compressor wheel does the standard K16 have, is it a 22xx or a 24xx and which trim, maybe Kevin can answer this? If I would like to look beyond 450 hp in the future are the K16´s done by then?

Any thoughts appreciated!

/Mattias
Old 12-13-2005, 04:59 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

Mattias, there was a post last week that addressed K16 tuning. Max realistic HP is around 440HP.. If you want larger HP output larger Stages are needed. There are minimal differences between the two models.. ie turbine housing bolt patterns and wastegate actuator offsets.. However I caution you, if you are buying 993TT heat exchangers and using them as a manifold/header system. Save yourself grief and buy a set of 993TT cores.. You also should look at buying the sump tanks that bolt to the bottom of each turbocharger..
Old 12-13-2005, 06:12 PM
mxeven
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input Kevin! I'm building custom exhaust manifolds so that's not an issue but good point. So if you were in my shoes you would have looked for larger compressors right away to prevent being limited by compressor choke? What is the inducer and exducer diameters for the standard K16 compressor?

/Mattias
Old 12-13-2005, 06:33 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

If I was you, (there is a large difference between a 3.6ltr for power and torque output) get your engine running and install the K16's drive the car and tune it and decide if you need more power..

Quick Reply: Advise on K16 chargers