Help - Need info about 430 HP official Porsche kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 03:27 PM
993Turbo-ITA
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help - Need info about 430 HP official Porsche kit

Hi guys,
this is my 1st post here. I came across this forum while browsing the net, searching for infos about the 993 Turbo, 'cause it is very likely I'm going to buy one of it in next 3-4 days.
I stopped here 'cause I've seen some of you know really a lot about this great toy, deep down to technical features.

After some searching, there are basically 2 cars I'm going to chose between: a '96 yellow 993TT with sport-seats and inox mufflers; a '97 grey 993TT with sport-seats, navi, Turbo S tail and...the dealer says it has fitted the 430 HP official Porsche kit.

Here I need you to tell me: is there any easy way for me to really check if the kit is on?!?

Some Porsche dealer told me that the standard procedure from them was to add an S letter to the engine plate number and then to write this mod on the car's paper, in order to fulfill law requirements.

This car is for sale to an official Porsche dealer, but...they say the kit was fitted, but nothing is written on the car's paper!

What should I do with it?!?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Andrea
Old 12-11-2005, 03:56 PM
Jussi
Pro

Congratulation Andrea!

I bought mine in the autumn. I had this 316kw remark in car's registration papers. Seller said that there you can see if it is original.
You can also see if there is 2nd oil cooler at right side front, back of bumper.

I had also X50 code on my option list. Check that option list from car's paper.

-Juha
Old 12-11-2005, 04:16 PM
993Turbo-ITA
4th Gear

Thank you, Juha...for you answer, I'd wait to thank you also for congratulations, 'cause...I'll know wether it is a good business or not only some months after having purchased it p (kidding...but somewhat true, must admit I'm a bit scared)

That's the info I was looking for: something easy to be checked right on the car, thank you!

A private dealer told me about this additional oil cooler, but on Saturday I went at the local Porsche dealer and they told me that probably the standard oil cooler was just replaced with a bigger one, they did not remember, so they have to take some time for searching infos on their technical papers.

So, the standard 300 KW has 1 oil cooler at left side (driver side, you mean, right?), while cars with the 316 KW kit have 2 oil coolers.
Is it the 2nd oil cooler fitted in front of the A/C condenser?

How do you feel with the car? Anything I should be aware of before purchasing?
Old 12-11-2005, 04:57 PM
Jussi
Pro

2nd oil cooler is driver's side. Back of bumper, just front of A/C condenser.
There you can see the location
http://p-car.com/diy/oilcooler/

My car was very much driven. Already 186k but it was the cheapest one that I found from internet. I made selection between normal 964T and cheap 993TT and decided to buy that 993tt.

I checked car before bought it, seller sent me car's registration paper and there I saw earlier users. I finded out them and asked about a car that everything was ok.
Before making my deal, I required seller to make regular 20k km service which includes brake service, all new filters and lubricants etc.

The clutch has been troubling few times but otherwise everything is ok.
Check all papers that they are ok. Check option list codes from net. There should be original sticker under bonnet where are some codes. Seller said that this sticker are located only in original bonnet, so if the car has had crash and bonnet changed, there isn't that sticker.

Drive the car and check for example that all boost are still available by throttling pedal down 3rd gear and see if there is 0.8bar on meter.

Check also OBD-II diagnostic trouble codes with reader.

-Juha
Old 12-11-2005, 05:56 PM
993Turbo-ITA
4th Gear

Ok, I gave a look at the pictures and explanation written in the page you linked. Everything is clear now, thank you.
Hopefully my dad will check that car in a few days (it's faraway from me and I can't travel now).

I'll let you know what about it and...I'll run here immediately if I'll be in need of other advices!
Really had no doubts I could get infos here more quickly and more detailed than at some Porsche official dealer!

I'm very happy to hear about the 993 TT reliability...

Thanks again, cheers,
Andrea
Old 12-11-2005, 07:10 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hello Andrea,

How nice that you found a 993 Turbo and Rennlist, they make a great combination

I suggest you check out:
http://www.993tt.com/ Where there is a purchase guide.

To make sure about the Porsche, get the VIN code and go to a Porsche dealer and check it out. They should be able to tell you:

Option Codes from factory (Also on a sticker in the service manual)
Service History (If it's done at a Porsche Dealer)
Black List (If it has been smashed seriously and check afterwards by Porsche)

Rennlist also has a built in option decoder and you can find many codes there. It's located under General -> Opt. Decoder on the left side on this webpage. If there are some codes you can't find, try the Rennlist search engine. Most of the codes have been cleared here before.

Now, remember to take plenty of pics and show us the wonderful toy! Most certainly many here (freaks ) will be able to tell if the car has been modified or not by just looking at pictures.

Good Luck, and keep us updated.

Cheers
Old 12-12-2005, 08:09 PM
993Turbo-ITA
4th Gear

Hi Rassel, thank you for your kind welcome and your advices.

I'm having the VIN checked by the Porsche dealer, hopefully they should tell me something within tomorrow evening.

Just to keep you updated, today I spoke to the owner (previous times I had spoken only to the salesman) and he said that this car has been fitted (after it came out from factory, but job done at some well known Porsche workshop) with 450 HP power-kit, Turbo S suspension upgrade, Turbo S aero-kit (front lip + tail lid).
I still doubt about the power-kit being a Porsche official one 'cause I can't really see any reason why it shouldn't be written on car papers, anyway he says he has got all the invoices to show me, so...I will be more than glad to check them out.

By the way, the 450 HP factory kit was only available to be fitted on Turbo S model, am I wrong?
Do you know about differences I could spot between the 2 power-kits?

I'm afraid I'm gonna get mad before buying it
Cheers,
Andrea
Old 12-12-2005, 09:00 PM
red993tt
Racer

Andrea
Make sure that 450hp is all that you want.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:52 AM
Jussi
Pro

Originally Posted by 993Turbo-ITA
By the way, the 450 HP factory kit was only available to be fitted on Turbo S model, am I wrong?
Do you know about differences I could spot between the 2 power-kits?
Porsche 993 Turbo had 2 factory powerkit version: 430hp and 450hp.
430hp version included just 2nd oil cooler and ECU tuning.
450 version included also bigger turbos K24? and something more. I don't know the exact specs.

There are also many aftermarket 450hp "turbo S" -kit which do that 450hp just by raising boost - be aware of these and check the official modifications for that real Turbo S modification.

And last, even if you had this 450hp you might want more power after few months
-Juha
Old 12-13-2005, 03:42 AM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hello again Andrea,

Both the 430 (Option: X50) and the 450 (Option: XLC) where available to standard Turbos (Type: 993 770). 450 Factory Kit includes twin tailpipes on each side, just like the Turbo S.

I like the 450 kit, I was actually very pleased with it and didn't want more HP for at least a month

Juha makes a very good point here also. Stay away from after market 450 ECU kits, where they run on standard K16's instead for K24's.

The powerkit was actually available from Porsche as a retrofit kit. It's a big plus that he have the old invoices, then you can see what has been done with the car. However, don't let the seller push you into a large premium because of the 450kit. If it's not fitted from factory, the car is just a after market tuned 993TT. Often factory kits charge about €5k more than standard. (Mostly since the car is more powerful than a 996TT).

Quick Reply: Help - Need info about 430 HP official Porsche kit