Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you have had a problem with Mahle filters: please help

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005 | 04:08 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Question If you have had a problem with Mahle filters: please help

I have finally gotten the ear of the right person at Mahle, and explained what I have heard and believe (and have personally experienced) about the failure of their check vales causing turbo damage (see Kevin's explanation in the sticky, above). I now need this community's help to convince them that this is a "real" problem, and not Rennlist mythology. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

<edit>: I'm trying to gather information (pictures would also be great) from people that have experienced a problem when they installed Mahle oil filters on their turbo. Evene if the problem was just excessive smoke that went away when the Porsche OEM filters were used. Please help.

Last edited by ca993twin; 12-11-2005 at 11:21 AM.
Old 12-09-2005 | 04:17 PM
Camber
Rennlist Member

I don't know that it's proof of turbo failure, but I certainly know that my car smoked and burned oil when I ran on Mahle filters, and it did not when using Porsche filters before and after the Mahle. The only changed variable was the filter, so I think the evidence is pretty compelling.

If their concern is liability, it may not be easy to prove turbo failure is a direct result of the Mahle filter. If, on the other hand, their concern is marketshare, then I would say that I tell everyone who asks to stay away from Mahle, and will continue to do so until it's proven that their product works on our cars.

Hope this helps.

Jim
Old 12-09-2005 | 04:59 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I have probably received 25-30 emails with regards to faulty leaky turbochargers over this past year. The outcome was that when they did a oil change/filter change the oil smoke show stopped. We should set up a pole, I can name at least 5 Rennlisters that this has happened to.
Old 12-09-2005 | 06:30 PM
cesar
Racer

I know that PowerTech in Rockaway, NJ is aware of this issue and only uses Porsche filters.

Not sure if they have examples/customer names of this happening.

Their link: http://www.pwr-tech.com/
Old 12-09-2005 | 06:52 PM
orleyd
Rennlist Member

Following Kevin's advice I change filters from Mahle to Porsche and the excess oil on in the pressure tubing from the turbos went away. The K 24's only had 2,000 miles and were well cared for, making the oil problem hard to understand.

I photographed the two filters side by side. There are noticible differences between the two parts. I don't have a way to host the pics our I would include them in this post.
Old 12-09-2005 | 07:10 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

orleyd,

can you email those pictures? ca993twin@yahoo.com

Thanks all for any information.. I intend to ask Mahle to look at this thread after a bit.
Old 12-09-2005 | 10:28 PM
dbtk
Instructor

I, too, had the smoke show begin after an oil change a year ago in which I thought they had used Porsche filters. As a result of an even greater smoke show I was advised to replace my turbos (42K miles--and they probably needed replacing). The smoke persisted--often lasting 10-15 minutes. I was recently informed that the shop was using Mahle filters. I called the shop owner earlier this week and requested that he kindly replace the Mahle filter with a Porsche one to eleviate the smoking. We will see if it continues post replacement.
Old 12-10-2005 | 12:32 AM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Steve,

I sent you some pics of my 993TT smokin like a train.
Old 12-11-2005 | 11:23 AM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Bump: new subject heading. I can use any experience (including excessive smoke that went away with the OEM filters). Please post here or send email to ca993twin@yahoo.com. Thanks for your help.
Old 12-11-2005 | 12:03 PM
KRA993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Count me in as well. I have experienced this problem with brand new K24's. I have changed Mahle filters though and made the problem go away. It may be a QC problem.
Old 12-11-2005 | 12:05 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Keith,

Can you please be a bit more specific about the problem you ecxperienced?
Old 12-11-2005 | 12:13 PM
KRA993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have had heavy heavy oil smoke from one side or the other at start up. Once it is burned off it goes away until the car sits for a couple of days. I have seen it from both sides at the same time as well. The oil just siphons or bypasses when the car sits. If I used the car as a daily driver I doubt I would notice this problem as less oil would accumulate for burning.

Is that the kind of detail you are looking for?
Old 12-11-2005 | 10:35 PM
Lance 4c
Addict
Rennlist Member

Count me in as well. I posted on an earlier thread. My car smoked immediately, (typical symtoms) after change to mahle. Switched to a Porsche and the problem immediately went away. I tried a mahle again a few oil changes later with no problem at all. I was told by a mechanic at Barrier Porsche in Bellevue, WA that Porsche and Mahle filters had a problem for awhile, but has since been fixed.

Last edited by Lance 4c; 12-13-2005 at 01:01 AM.
Old 12-11-2005 | 10:47 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Lance, we can't verify that Mahle fixed the issue. Even if they did, a parts warehouse could have a year or two supply of defective filters sitting on the shelf. It's not worth the expense or risk of knocking out your turbochargers or cats..
Old 12-11-2005 | 11:45 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Keith,

Thanks. In order for this to be of interest to Mahle, they would want to know what the conditions were when you were using Porsche OEM filters, what changed when you switched to Mahle, and what happened when you switched back. We are trying to collect caese studies that show there was a problem with the Mahle filters.

Lance,

So far, Mahle says they never heard there was a problem with their filters, and they are checking with Germany to see what they know. I whould hear something this coming week. Meantime, I thought I'd get some case studies from people that had experienced a problem.

Thanks all... please keep the information coming in.

Quick Reply: If you have had a problem with Mahle filters: please help