Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket horn button help :-)

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 01:05 PM
edpurplett
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket horn button help :-)

.. duh, have momo wheel on car.. horn didn't work.. pulled center and there is little in column, just two leads (presumably aftermarket just two 4 inch wires with slipon clips both ends non-connected)

.. that are just sitting there.. need horn for inspection obviously.... did anyone else replace wheel ?? anything tricky with horn wiring ??.. the horn has the standard momo 'button' and 'switch'/ring for the horn circuit..

any help would be appreciated.... THX, Ed

Old 10-26-2005, 04:06 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Here is the problem you face with an aftermarket wheel like a Momo or Sparco. These wheels are design to work with the older style horn connection method which was essentially a mechanical wiper on a round contact surface on the wheel adaptor. While the splines of the older models will work with a 993TT, the new horn (and airbag connection) is via a wound set of wires in a plastic case called a "clock spring". This clock spring will not work with the older style adptors for these wheels, and there are no new adaptors for them.

So what to do? There is a way to install an older style wiper from the carrera family of cars, and fit it to the metal frame behind the hub adaptor. On a 993 you will need to wire it up, but still not too tough. Then you must decide if you install a resistor to fool the airbag system so your light is not always on, or if you don't care if the light is on, or just remove the light. It sounds like someone has already removed you clock spring, so I assume the airbag thing is already taken car of..
Old 10-26-2005, 05:20 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 174 Likes on 104 Posts

Great write-up Bob. Ed, having faced the same issue and spent hours figuring it out, I know how you feel. BTW you can pick up a "Porsche" center horn button from FVD and a few other vendors.

So did you just receive the horn or was there a car coming with it as an option? Care to tell us how the beast drives?
Old 10-26-2005, 05:21 PM
edpurplett
Instructor

Viperbob.. THANKS!!.. I will play with it... it looked simple enough and I assumed it was a ground based circuit....so if I hear you I need to ground behind the hib adapter, not in 'front' of it..

It is a momo with the hub adapter... and someone managed to get the airbag light killed (or killed bulb) ... btw, I JUST saw for the first time there is a hub adapter for 993's.. which I never saw listed before.. maybe it addresses it, but I will save my $57.00 and figger' this one out...

Go beat some of those Prototech cars up will you .. I know David... as i guess you do..

Muchas Gracias!!

Ed

Old 10-26-2005, 07:03 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Here is the horn button I was able to get. If you contact Icerbofth he has the wheel and horn button and may be willing to part with it as I do not think he is installing to anymore.

I know Todd out at Protomotive very well as I have installed LOTS of his ECUs into 993/996s. I also used his software and intercooler in my own car. I just got to Florida so I do not know the Prototech folks down here.

Bad news on the hub adaptor. While it says it fits a 993, there is a caveat that also says that adaptors may not work with all horn/turn signals/airbag systems. I bought one myself when I saw the same thing on it fitting a 993, and then read the fine print after I got it and it was no diff than before. So I think it was adaptor #7004 (IIRC).

Last edited by viperbob; 05-21-2009 at 09:19 PM.
Old 10-27-2005, 02:23 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 174 Likes on 104 Posts

That boost guage is fantastic, I need to get myself one, been saying that for 2 years.
Just for some clarification, Prototech is only a distributor of Protomotive, not a partner, Todd prepares the (or some) ECUs for them. The customer service might not be the same
Old 10-27-2005, 09:46 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Thanks Jean. Yes I thought the boost gauge was great. It was the perfect unit for the dash. Worked perfectly, and was very easy to read on the track. A MUST HAVE item....
Old 10-27-2005, 11:43 AM
edpurplett
Instructor

ViperB,

Thanks!... I have the button and other pieces.... will play with it this weekend... doin' brakes and some other pieces....

Go see David when you get a chance.. (yes he is a distributor) and he is the pinnacle of a high volume HP shop..... htere are frequently 15-15 cars in various stages.... always interesting.. he is a character... Glad you know Todd.. he's been helping me for almost 15 years....

He helped me build my first Bosch EFI turbo in 88-'89 when no one else was modding them that I could find.... he was and is amazing!!
Old 10-27-2005, 04:22 PM
JMR
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ed:

I posted a detailed writeup on the 993 board on how to hook the horn up. Do a search. If you still need help, emial me at johnrandolph3@comcast.net. BTW, I am in Rosemont so I can help if you get stuck.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:57 AM
edpurplett
Instructor

Jmr,

Found it thanks! Let's hookup sometime , I'm in Wynnewood...

Ed
Old 10-28-2005, 03:57 PM
JMR
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shoot me an email today or tonight johnrandolph3@comcast.net. There is a PCA DE cookout/party at a member's house in Bryn Mawr tomorrow afternoon. There will be a bunch of good people with nice rides and similar interests.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket horn button help :-)