Sponsored by:

My kids talked me out of selling

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 11:45 PM
Careener
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My kids talked me out of selling

I was thinking about selling my 993TT because I was driving it only one day per week and thought it had become impractical. However, I had overlooked how important that car is to my 9 year old boy and 6 year old girl. That one day a week (Friday) is a special day when they get to miss the school bus and ride with Dad in the Porche to school. They like the cozy back seat, they like me to rip it hard in 2nd, they like the way kids stare at the car, and they love to yell and wave at their friends that we pass along the way.

I put an ad in AutoTrader and fairly-quickly had a couple of people that wanted to see it. When I mentioned to my wife that I needed to make time for someone to see the car, my son overheard and asked me increduously why in the world I would sell such a great car. That remark and the look on his face cut through the clutter in my brain and brought me to my senses. I cancelled the showings and am pulling the ad.

Ya gotta love kids!
Old 10-03-2005, 11:54 PM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

What a great stories and kuul kids. My kids are the exact same ages as yours and they also love riding in the TT. Congrats for coming to your senses and enjoy it.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:03 AM
jmcd33
Intermediate

Default Great for kids!

My daughter is two and a half and LOVES riding in and "pretend driving" the TT. I also have an ML55 and she seems indifferent to either washing it or"pretend driving" the truck. These cars are great facilitators of daddy/daughter time. I recently put the Alpine touch screen nav in the TT, and threw in a DVD player so she can watch Dora when we go crusing together. So glad you didnt sell. When you think about it... our back seats are DESIGNED for the kids!
Attached Images    

Last edited by jmcd33; 10-04-2005 at 01:16 AM. Reason: photo links not working
Old 10-04-2005, 02:53 AM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm training my kid, soon to be kids, to love daddy's toys. Trying to get her to say, "doo-CAH-tee"

Careener - I was going to send an email to look at the car. Thankfully I didn't. Maybe if/when I get my TT I'll see you around.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:14 AM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So what's the lesson for the day?
Every good parent should try to get a 993 Turbo!

*Note to myself* Call the Super Nanny show..
Old 10-04-2005, 10:26 AM
GT9111
Burning Brakes

You've two very bright kids.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:49 AM
Rob 97 993c2
Three Wheelin'

jmcd33-
how did you fit an alpine touch screen nav into the TT? can you post a picture?
btw, your daughter is beautiful - no need for her to get a paper-route, seems she has a better job already!!
Old 10-04-2005, 12:26 PM
jmcd33
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Rob 97 993c2
jmcd33-
how did you fit an alpine touch screen nav into the TT? can you post a picture?
btw, your daughter is beautiful - no need for her to get a paper-route, seems she has a better job already!!
Thank you for the compliment, I feel very fortunate to have a happy healthy little girl and get to experience some of my childhood dreams with her. Once I get the car back, I will take and post pics of all my custom interior work. I literally havent had the car in months. It went from car toys straight to the Porsche shop for mods. FVD alone took a month to get the ECU back to me because their first reprogram neglected to retain my immobiliser code.

It is quite a personalized TT:
4-Multidirectional Infinity Tweeters (sun visor delete)
8-Midbass Eclipse Speakers (4 front, 4 rear)
Twin 12" JL W3 subs (Matching leather wrapped enclosure - removeable)
Touch Screen Alpine Navigation and DVD
Touch Screen JVC Multimedia CD/MP3 Head Unit & 12 disc changer
Sirius Satellite Radio
Passport SR7 w Zr3 Laser Shifter

The NAV screen looks very good and I am quite pleased with it. I also got the SR7 mounted better where it is flush with a very nice casing. Hopefully I will get my car back today take pics of all the new stuff and share my impressions of Kevins GT1 Hybrid Turbos and 100 Cell Cats. My shop consulted with Kevin yesterday to do some final prep work to fortify the various hoses for the extra boost. My shop tells me I could have the car today..... Stay tuned.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:56 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Careener,

I've recently had similar thoughts, and my wife and two kids (8 yo and 7 yo) talked me out of it, as well. "Ya gotta love kids" is right.

Quick Reply: My kids talked me out of selling