Gt2 vs RS rear sway bar.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 10:51 AM
K24madness
Banned
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gt2 vs RS rear sway bar.

I am going to order the PSS9s and a set of sway bars. I have read that most use the RS sway bars. I am thinking of using the RS front bar and GT2 rear bar. I would think that the larger 22mm GT2 rear bar would be better suited for the turbo application.

Your thoughts?

Anyone running this setup?
Old 09-19-2005, 02:53 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Indeed, I think the 22mm GT-2 bar is the right choice for these AWD cars,...

Thats all we use here in these cases.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:10 PM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

I started a thread awhile ago (https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...light=trg+bars) about the propensity for my car to oversteer with the TRG bars. Seems like half the people responding felt the cars oversteered and half felt they understeered with aftermarket bars. Before you up the size of your rear bar, I'd figure out which group you fall into. FWIW I have my TRG rear bar on full soft and the car is tolerable. I know your buddy Rob says all these cars need is a modified stock rear bar.

Greg H.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:22 PM
03-turbo911
Three Wheelin'

Is there a difference between the GT3 and the GT2 rear sway bars?
Old 09-19-2005, 06:22 PM
K24madness
Banned
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys!

Steve,
I will be calling you about the rear hats for the PSS9s
Old 09-19-2005, 07:49 PM
RL Technical Advisor

Originally Posted by 03-turbo911
Is there a difference between the GT3 and the GT2 rear sway bars?
Those are identical (996 parts, NOT 993)
Old 09-19-2005, 11:49 PM
Acropora
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If one has some oversteer using TRG sways and some PSS-9's, all set full tightness at the track, how would you adjust the PSS-9's to try to correct it?
Old 09-20-2005, 12:07 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

From what I've read of your posts I assume your pushing out in excess of 500 HP. If you're runnning a reasonably stock weight car your biggest concern should be turn-in (understeer). That kind of HP can just push theses cars right through a turn and you'll never get the opportunity to enjoy oversteer. So my humble suggestion would be to set whatever front bar you choose at it's softest setting and keep your rear bar in a middle position to start.

After trying PSS9's I don't believe they're up to the task of damping a 3300 lb car with massive boost. I revalved mine to match stronger springs, and in rerospect I should have just splurged for the Moton Club Sports as Steve has recommended before. If you're going to track your car, you'll need stiffer springs too.

Originally Posted by K24madness
I am going to order the PSS9s and a set of sway bars. I have read that most use the RS sway bars. I am thinking of using the RS front bar and GT2 rear bar. I would think that the larger 22mm GT2 rear bar would be better suited for the turbo application.

Your thoughts?

Anyone running this setup?
Old 09-20-2005, 12:59 AM
Jim Morton
Three Wheelin'

Interesting observations...

FWIW, I have been running the RS front and GT2 rear bar for about a year now. I like the combo quite a bit. The bars use factory style mounts and require nothing in terms of maintenance. Fit is purrrrrrrfect !

IMHO, the real advantage of the GT2 bar over the RS rear is that the GT2 bar allows for a sway bar stiffness similar to full tight on the RS bar with much improved drop link geometry by being able to use the middle hole of the bar, instead of the rearmost on the RS.

Personally, I run my GT2 bar on the softest setting. That seems to match my spring rates / alignment specs quite well for my dual use car.

If I were to Auto-X- the car, or run a day at a tight track like "Streets at Willow", I might bump the GT2 bar to the mid postion and enjoy the slightly "looser" rear.

Another thing to note, the difference when I changed from the RS rear to the GT2 was nothing super dramatic. It falls into the category of "fine tuning". If buying for the first time, I do recommend the GT2 bar for the AWD turbos.

$0.02
Old 09-20-2005, 01:33 AM
gjb
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jim,

I agree and honestly, wish I could get more seat time to truly play with the settings. Chris C. dialed my car in and he could also give you some info and perspective as well.

The GT-2 sways I believe are also easier on the budget as well.

Grant
Old 09-20-2005, 01:32 PM
wini
7th Gear

Are there any other members who think that the pss9 kit is not up to the job on track/circuit's?
Old 09-20-2005, 01:38 PM
RL Technical Advisor

Wini:

PSS-9's are VERY good at what they were designed and intended to be used for,...

They are certainly NOT the optimal setup for track cars and there is a quantum difference between PSS-9's and a properly configured Moton Clubsport package. Once adjusted, they are worth anywhere from a 2-5 second/lap improvement, depending on the driver and the track.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:49 PM
K24madness
Banned
Rennlist Member

Steve, what were they designed for ?

JR, Yes it seem that the car moves around a lot front to rear under hard acceleration. I figure the PSS9's will solve that with proper adjustments. I don't plan to track the car and I don't want to ruin everyday driveabilty.

Jim, What are you running for suspension? Since you live in my area your opinion is important.

Thanks to all you guys for the input!
Old 09-20-2005, 07:05 PM
RL Technical Advisor

Originally Posted by K24madness
Steve, what were they designed for ?

JR, Yes it seem that the car moves around a lot front to rear under hard acceleration. I figure the PSS9's will solve that with proper adjustments. I don't plan to track the car and I don't want to ruin everyday driveabilty.

Jim, What are you running for suspension? Since you live in my area your opinion is important.

Thanks to all you guys for the input!
LOL,....PSS-9's were intended to be a top-flight high-performance street suspension used primarily for "sporty" street driving and track days. Its NOT a race suspension and should never be considered as such.

The great caveat here is that everyone's driving skills vary all over the spectrum so in most cases, the PSS-9's do a credible job in this dual-purpose, compromise role.

If you are not planning on doing DE events, then the PSS-9 package will work very well for you once setup and adjusted properly. For the purpose of this discussion, I'll assume a competant & proper corner-weight job and alignment. I cannot begin to overstress how "mission-critical" this latter item is on 993's and is the biggest make-or-break factor in determining how well the car will handle.

For the record, it matters little what fancy parts & components one installs on their 993 if the alignment is not PRECISELY done; camber, caster, kinematic & static toe settings at all four corners.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:47 PM
K24madness
Banned
Rennlist Member

Understood about the alignment and conerbalance. I will check with Jim for a reputible place.
Thank you Steve!

Quick Reply: Gt2 vs RS rear sway bar.