Track Fun

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2005, 08:11 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track Fun

Just got back from the track at Thunder Hill and had a blast, now that my Andial motor is running right. Couple things that might be of interest: There is a fast stretch that crests a hill at full throttle(Turn #9) and I was real grateful for the AWD. When the car got light I could feel it scrambling for traction, even in the front through the steering. I don't know how guys do it with 2 WD and powerful engines. I also feel that the car is gaining a lot of power as it breaks in, just passed 5K miles on the motor which seemed to be a major increase point. Anyone else noticed that with a fresh engine, seemed kind of late to me? Finally, having tried a lot of different types, I find that the Michelin Sport Cups are the best R compound tires I've experienced, well worth the extra cost. Anyone else have an input on that?
Old 09-11-2005, 02:05 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 174 Likes on 104 Posts

I do think the AWD is an advantage on the track. I can feel my front lighter in a sense without it. I love the way the car handles however and would not go back to AWD as it feels nimbler.

I have not tried it yet beyond 7-8/10th and I might change my mind once I do. I believe that with the proper suspension setup for a 2WD conversion you will not be penalized with a high hp car. That proper setup can be VERY expensive,

You also need to go with fat front tires (265 MPSC for me).
I currently do not have the Guard LSD installed yet and coming out of a turn with this torque (at 1 Bar) is a quite challenging "self control" exercice.
As far as Sport Cups, I have been using them for a few years and still love them, great grip, had them on all my street Porsches since I live in a dry country, and I think they are fantastic (need to go fat however with your car, I have 315sRr). I also have a set of Pirelli P-Corsa that are very good but I somehow like the MPSC more as far as drivability and noise is concerned. Also tried Dunlop Supersport but not long enough to form an opinion, they are noisier than Sport Cups in my opinion too.
To go really "fast" on the track with this kind of hp and 2WD you need to go full slicks ala Hoosier S04 if you have a set of spare wheels.

Last edited by Jean; 09-11-2005 at 02:30 AM. Reason: OT comment
Old 09-11-2005, 02:14 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,713 Likes on 2,344 Posts

if i creat T9 with ps2's, the front will be light and rear skittish even under throttle.
with mpsc, give it full throttle at creat, which is about the track out point and use the entire exit berm, my car stayed planted.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:54 AM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Don
I had to put my beer down and drive with both hands after 5k miles it got so fast. Actually, I ran the motor in on the dyno, so it had some run in, prior to track events. Pretty typical of Mahle cylinders and pistons. Any oil consumpton?

With the added power, you may want to join the viscious circle and put a more sporting suspension and try some Hoosiers. If you think MPSC's are the cats meow, Hoosiers are at least a second faster at Willow Springs. You might as well get the F250 tow vehicle and a trailer, as theres no truning back. Welcome to the fabulous 3.8 club, it is very addicting.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:07 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'd get a sex change operation before I'd buy a truck! No unusual oil consumption, maybe 1/2 quart in 3000 miles. I like the R tires on the street too, so Hoosiers would probably be a bit extreme, especially when it rains on the way home from the track. Guess I'll just have to control the red mist Jim.

Quick Reply: Track Fun