rinlv1
Rennlist Member

Default Failed Emssion Test

I had following message:

The following monitors were not ready:
Catalyst
Oxygen sensor heater
Second air system

I guess i'm only allowed two. Is this something that i could reset with my obd reader?? or do i need to have them changed??

Any help will be greatly appreciated....

TIA
Old 08-19-2005 | 04:20 PM
Jim Morton
Three Wheelin'

Rinlv:

These OBD "monitors" are not values you can reset with an OBD2 reader. These are values that become set by the ECU from driving.

If you do a search you'll find several posts on the 993 forum listing a driving sequence needed to set these monitors. It is slow and painful, but works.

Best of luck getting these set.

Regards
Old 08-19-2005 | 05:33 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

I had the similar set of rediness codes reset... I went straight to a "referee" station and they checked it out. They would have given me a waiver, but by the time I got there, one of the codes had set itself, and the system was ready enough to pass smog. See if you have a "referee" system in Nevada.
Old 08-19-2005 | 09:03 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mine did the same thing and I got the waiver after driving 1000 miles with no luck. Andial cleared those with my new motor(they called it adapting) and it took about 2 hours of driving it around hooked up to a laptop program that's pretty sophisticated. Now that it's cleared you can bet I'll never disconnect the battery again, at least without one of those code savers that plugs into the lighter!
Old 08-21-2005 | 12:27 PM
don356
Intermediate

I went to a referee station in CA as well, and they passed it. The alternative was to pay the dealer for a couple of hours driving around with a laptop or to drive an estimated least 1000 - 2000 miles hoping that you would drive enough of the required sequence to set the required minimum flags (seem to recall that it needed 4 of 6, or 5 of 7?). My car arrived in CA with the battery disconnected so it didn't even come close to passing initially.
Old 08-21-2005 | 07:03 PM
rinlv1
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the replies,

I did two drive cycles i found on the forum but did not set the readiness code.. ugh....

owner of rufus, i don't think there's referee station in vegas.... to get a waiver i have to show i've spent over $450 to correct it.. it's just a big waste of miles, time, money etc.... dang....

i think my trouble started when i forgot to connect wiring on my intercooler after i removed and replaced it. i had a CEL and i had reset it using obd-2 reader but i guess this also reset the readiness codes... After the last drive cycle i connected the obd 2 reader (the one recommended by robin's page www.obd-2.com), it shows the monitor for the sensors are not ready. Rather than paying to have smog check i will take this as failing again....

I think i'm ready to fork out the $200 the dealer is going to charge me to drive it around. hopefully they could guarentee the resetting the codes.. or whatever the correct terminalogy is...

i'll try the drive cycle again tomorrow morning... i'll report my result...... ugh......
Old 08-23-2005 | 01:10 PM
rinlv1
Rennlist Member

IT WORKED!!!!!

The drive cycle recommended by ecobb993 worked like a charm. http://srlx.com/p-car/obdii_readiness.pdf Early morning cold start, no a/c, and I had to make 3 stops due to traffic light. It was my second attempt and the first probably didnt' work cause i went over 3000 rpm on one shift...

Thanks everyone for your help...
At least i spent the money on something useful like obd reader rather than giving it away to the dealer...

Quick Reply: Failed Emssion Test