Sponsored by:

97 Turbo S with salvage title

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 05:46 PM
awsum1ed
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Turbo S with salvage title

Not sure what to do? There is a car for sale in irvine, california with a salvage title. The car has around 5k mileage on it. The car looks mint, cain't tell it was in an accident. The car had a ppi with newport auto center in newport beach, ca from a potential buyer and passed flawless.

My questions to you all, is whats the value $ of a salvage tilte car that looks new? All of your input would be appreciated. I need help from the experts out there on their opinions.

ps. the damage was on the front end.
Old 06-10-2005, 06:24 PM
K24madness
Banned
Rennlist Member

Depends on what you want to do. It is no longer valueable to a collector. If you just want to drive the wheels off of it and you can get a really good price (below $75-$80) and it checks out well by an independant body shop then I can't see why not.
Old 06-10-2005, 06:25 PM
strato58
Burning Brakes

Received 126 Likes on 74 Posts

Had to be huge damage to total this car no?
Old 06-10-2005, 07:04 PM
mb97tts
Racer

I would ask, if it is the original owner, for the body shop bills. Could be stolen recovery with major damaged. You never know. Salvage title is a tough one. Get as much documentation as you can. If it has frame damage it could effect driveability down the road.

And then you have to think about if you wanted to resell it. Banks don't usually finance salvage title cars.

Then again if the owner got the insurance company to total it because it was such a highline car, even though it was repairable without a problem, you might have a decent deal. Price was?
Old 06-10-2005, 07:17 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Can be a good deal if you do your homework, as others have suggested. Also remember that your insurance car will charge you "full price" for insuring a Turbo S, but if it were totalled again, you would only get some fraction of the full value. Its a rip off, fer sure. Talk to your insurance co about that fraction... it may be something to cosider in your negotiations.
Old 06-10-2005, 08:11 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even if it passes a PPI, is a theft recovery, etc, it's not worth anything close to $75K. At $75K, you can get a very clean 993TT which will not suffer from the hit at resale from a salvage title. The only reason IMHO to get a TTS is for the exclusivity/collectability which the salvage title pretty much throws out the window.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:01 PM
LA964RS
Drifting

I agree w/K24...what do you want to do w/it? I hope drive the hell out of it...then it can probably be a deal. I would however look into whether it was a damage or theft.

Do a full on elec analysis as if it was a theft or bad crash and pulled apart some shops don't get it all right putting it back together.

Also, I'd make a requirment of the sale that it goes on a lazer frame machine to see if it all lines up. Those machines don't tell lies.

Mechanicals, etc. are no brainer and the PPi will sort that out.

Also check the serial # and make sure it is a real TTS.

Anyway, I'd guess you are buying it to drive and like most people on this site and not as an investment...so you might do real well here.

I think the market for a salvage title car of this type is pretty limited, which is good for your negotiations. I would guess regardless of how nice it is that the salvage titles will be a 35-45% reduction on FMV. So I'd say a good deal would be in the $50-$60k range.

Good luck...keep us posted.
Old 06-11-2005, 02:21 AM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Heck, for $55K, you can buy Steve OFE's beautiful 993TT as he is purchasing a Ruf.

Quick Reply: 97 Turbo S with salvage title