Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recent Woes

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005 | 01:38 AM
Adams
Rennlist Member

Default Recent Woes

Really need some help. My 44k mile otherwise pristine 96 993tt has behaved fantastically over the last few years.

Three problems emerged almost simultaneously - 1) Both turbos rebuilt 3 months back. Plugged line. Rebuild included larger inlet. 2) Drip at lower left valve cover gasket just recently, unrelated to above, left covers undisturbed, by perhaps should've checked. Only 3-5 drops a night, but I'm obsessive, so it's a thousand dollar annoyance. 3) Squealing brakes that have remained so with new pads, new rotors, and now a spongy brake pedal reveals needs for a new master cylinder.

Question - Since I also occasionally read ads for 50k+/- mile tt's saying "...fresh top end rebuild", am I looking at a soon to be troublesome car with expected high-dollar maintenance issues?

IF I get the oil leak repaired, what else would you recommend "while you're in there"?

IF it sounds like I'm heading into a series of heavy bills, can anyone express pros and cons of a 2002-ish 996 twin turbo vs. the 993tt.

Yes, I'm asking for a lot. Maybe I need counseling... which is part of why this site is so great. Thanks,
Adams
Old 05-25-2005 | 02:13 AM
Marc in AK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Take a deep breath....not too worry

Disclaimer: I work on humans and not cars....but I like to tinker. I am on my 2nd 993 now, my experience has been:

All 3 of my Porsches have had squeaky brakes. If your brakes were just recently done, you may want to re-bleed your brake lines to see if that helps the spongy feel.

The lower valve cover gasket is not that big of a deal, in fact you can DIY the replacement if you are halfway handy by jacking up the rear of your TT and having at it. It is relatively common place for a leak and less expensive than leaks from other areas (base cylinder gasket, turbo..).

I think at 9 years old...there will be ongoing maintainance in any car. Maintaining a Porsche can get expensive............and buying a 996 will not rescue you from cost of ownership issues. I personally would rather spend my money on a 993 than a 996.

My .02.............
Old 05-25-2005 | 02:25 AM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

My 96TT has 68,000 miles on it. Still has original clutch and turbos. Pesky valve covers leak if the car isn't driven for 5 or 6 days, but it stops after a good heat cycle. I'm worried about the dreaded "valve guide" issue, but so far so good... not a trace of oil smoke, very light consumption, and still has excellent power. I actually have never seen a TT (or any 993) advertising "top-end rebuild" , but I suppose they are out there.

A good cure for a spongy brake pedal (after exhausting the usual suspects) are stainless brake lines.

Quick Reply: Recent Woes