Sponsored by:

Oil Level guage not working

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 09:55 AM
strato58
Burning Brakes

Received 126 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Oil Level guage not working

Might this be the guage itself or are there any other weak links I should look for.....??\
Thanks again!
Old 05-24-2005, 10:24 AM
tlark
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First thing I do is read the dip stick at proper engine temp. on level ground and see where your at. The gauge is very sensitive: example; mine read on the lower third of the twist and my gauge was near red once, added 1/2 qrt. and in was near the top of the gauge. If your at proper level of oil don't go slam a qrt. down its throat b/c you will fog the neighbors with white smoke.

At that point your sending unit that reads the oil level is gone bad as I have read from past posts. I have never looked in the tech. manual to see where its located on the tank, however someone here prob. knows and can provide better info.

Last edited by tlark; 05-24-2005 at 12:14 PM.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:06 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

The sensor in the tank is the weak spot, if it's bad. Check the dipstick as previously recommended then, if you're sure it's full, take off the right rear fender liner and you'll see the sump tank forward of the tire. The sensor bolts into the center of the tank. Be sure to drain the tank before removing the sensor and get a fresh gasket to go with the new sensor.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:35 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

You don't need to drain the oil tank to replace the oil level sender but whatever you do make sure you clean the area around the sending unit before you open the tank. There are even a few quick checks to do before you buy a new sensor. If both sides of the dipstick are oily and your positive somethings fishy then the first thing is to pull the gauge out of the dashboard and clean the carbon off the pin contacts on the back with a pencil eraser. Our cars are starting to age and this stuff builds up over time. If that doesn't work you can check the oil level sender with a multimeter (the connector is on the right hand side of the engine bay) OR you can pull the sending unit and turn the ignition key (but don't start the car) and manually move sender arm to see if you get some movement on the gauge.

Good Luck!
Old 05-25-2005, 07:17 AM
MOD500
Racer

Yes, check the oil first with the dipstick.

I thought I had a faulty gauge, but it turned out the oil was slightly low as above. Sometimes I find it takes up to 3-5 mins after a hard run for my gauge to level out and give a constant reading at idle too, give it some time!

Thanks

Martyn.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:53 AM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you check the manual, you'll see how to read the oil gauge. It's almost useless when the car is moving or not on a flat ground.

Quick Reply: Oil Level guage not working